LawMan018 is offline Senior Member

Each Muscle Once A Week?

I mean, will I still grow working only once a week? I do three different exercises with major muscle groups, and 2 with minor. I'm planning on throwing in powerlifting too to get strength along with my bodybuilding regime... what you guys think?

dhriscerr is offline Senior Member
    thats pretty vague man, elaborate a little more

goose is offline Banned
    Could you write what your weekly program would be?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by LawMan018
    I mean, will I still grow working only once a week? I do three different exercises with major muscle groups, and 2 with minor. I'm planning on throwing in powerlifting too to get strength along with my bodybuilding regime... what you guys think?
    Depends on your current conditioning and development... height, weight, age, bodyweight, bodyfat, ... that kinda stuff helps formulate better answers for you.

But, I'll say this - most working out a muscle once every 7 days and are limiting their growth... but when you get really advanced, strong, and older - your mind and body starts requiring more recovery time. If you can retrain sooner, without soreness, and still keep a progressive training log - then you are good to go.

The type of training theory you use would also impact how much recovery time the muscle would need... workouts from the gut - producing lots of lactate and cellular breakdown - will need more recovery time than basic maintenance routines...

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    It is hard and takes time to come up with a great workout routine for yourself.
    See before I thought I could pull each muscle group twice a week.
    But the way I train, for example doing deadlift and bent over barlbell rows which are pretty hardcore exercises, going heavy and intesne at that.. there is no way I could do my back twice a week. I need good 3-4 days of rest for my back to be ready to lift again.
    So You gotta listen to Your body and see what happens. If You're ready and fully recovered, go for it and lift that day. There is no general rule or universal workout routine.
    Good luck

YupYup is offline Junior Member
    I do one muscle group per week, and it's been working fine for me. Then again I see guys at the gym that hit one muscle twice a week, and that also works for them.
    Everyone reacts different to work outs, supplements...EVERYTHING

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    With the twice a week approach you have to due less total sets than you would with once a week during each exercise session. I have done both and have to say for me that to really build mass that I hit each muscle group twice a week. A heavy day and a light day, the heavy day is more compound multi-joint movements the light day consisting of more of auxillary exercises. For me though I seem to get a lot more defintion and strenght from doing things once a week. You also have to relies that some exercises use muscles as co-contractors or stabilizes as well. For example when you bench your biceps will also be engaged and they will also cause some slight internal rotation and adduction of the humorus.

donberry427 is offline Associate Member
    I workout 6 days a week with doing nothing on sunday

Monday+thursday = chest, back, upper abs
    Tuesday+friday = sholders, upper arms, forearms, lower abs
    Wed+sat = thighs,calves, lower back

When i do cycles i go 3 times per week per body part

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Ok so what about a full body workout 3 times a week say Monday, Wedesday and Friday.

Leg press 3 sets
    Leg curls 3 sets
    bench press 3 sets
    incline press 2 sets
    military press 3 sets
    dips or triceps pushdown 3 sets
    barbell curls 3 sets

Usually keep the intensity high around 1-2 minutes rest between sets and 6-12 reps.

I read the Ultimate Diet 2.0 By Lyle Mcdonald and he says that most natural bodybuilders would do wonders following this type of training.

HST training seems very good has well.

thetoponepercent is offline Junior Member
    Typically takes me about 4 days rest before I can do the same workout routine again. I have to go with my work schedule. I travel on Sunday and Thursdays, so those are the days I take off. As the schedule rotates I will hit each muscle group roughly every 6 days. Thats 5 days between for rest which seems to do the job for me. Take whatever you pre-AAS routine looked like and listen to your body to come up with something that works for you. If circle back around to a body group that is still fairly sore I will skip it or go light that week. I do not want to injure myself.

Monday - Legs
    Tuesday - shoulders
    Wed - Back and bis
    Thur - day off
    Friday - Chest
    Sat - Legs
    Sunday - day off

Thread Information