kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member

Loss of strength

Hey guys, I'm wondering if any of you have made the mistake of sticking with a training routine for too long and once a change is made you realize that you're strength has decreased for a particular exercise. For example, I had been using dumbbells exclusively for chest for a period of time and just started benching with a bar again and my strength wasn't the same as it used to be.

I'm not concerned because I know I will eventually get the strength up where it used to be after training with the bar for a bit. Just wondering if anybody else has had the same experience.

StevePJC is offline Member
    Sure have. You should always mix things up a bit. For instance, instead of using a barbell for chest, use dumbells for flat, incline, and decline. Then after a week or two go back to barbells.

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    Oh yea, sure have happened!
    Yeah, I would suggest switchin up one exercise every 1-2 months. I think two weeks is littlebit too soon.
    Switching from barbells do dumbbells like Steve mentioned is a great example!
    The main thing is to have two kinds of exercise that work out certain muscle group. For example... Lat cable pull downs and pull ups, or Bent over barbell rows and dumbbell bench rows etc.
    Dead lift and hyperextensions.
    For each exercise that You are doing have alternatives ready, so when You pass that 1 - 2 months of training, switch up, than go back to it again.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by UberSteroids; 01-26-2007 at 07:53 PM.

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    Yea i know what you guys are saying, I used to alternate between barbell and dumbbells but depended more on using dumbbells in the last little while to focus more on shaping my chest. Like I said I expect to get the strength back after incorporating the barbell back in my routine.

Fastcav is offline New Member
    Definatly have. I have tried recently to mix it up each week or every two weeks at the most. I work the same muscles on the just try to do different exercises.

ex.
    MON chest
    DB bench 3 sets x8
    DB incline 3 sets x8
    DB deline 3 sets x8
    pec dec 3 sets x8
    Triceps
    standing tricep extensions 3 sets x8
    pushdown w/rope 3 sets x8
    dips w/weight 3 sets x10

Now the following week on monday I'll do:
    Mon Chest
    BB bench 3 sets x8
    BB decline 3 sets x8
    BB incline 3 sets x8
    DB flys 3 sets x8
    Triceps
    Skull crushers 3 sets x8
    pushdowns w/ T bar 3 sets x8
    dips w/weight 3 sets x10

passthetest is offline Member
    That's good by mixing up your workouts your not limiting yourself. I think your changes will lead to gains you would not have earned by repeating the same workouts.

Thread Information