kobiack is offline Banned

squat techniques...

i read on this site that if you shorten your stance and go all the way to the ground that it will strengthen your knees and back.

my question is, if i hear a popping noise when i do these, should i stop them or work through it and the popping will go away?

thanks.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    The popping sound you hear is simply air being released from the cartilage in the joint, just like popping your knuckles. Close stance squats focus the weight on your quads and hams rather than your hips, glutes, quads, and hams, like a wider stance (powerlifting) squat would. ATG (ass to grass) squats aren't bad for your knees, all squats, if done properly aren't bad for your knees. That's just an old wives tale.

briancb1 is offline Member
    not to highjack, but should my feet be pointing slightly out or strait forward? I find it much easier to control when my feet point slightly out.

Thanks

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I point mine slightly out. That seems to be the consensus among big weight movers, but I've also seen some oly lifters squat with their feet pointing straight. I think it's a matter of comfort. But feet pointing out works for me.

PROTEINSHAKE is offline Protein Power
    after warming up completely... I then do ALL my squats as far down as I can go...my last 2 sets I use the "pause" method to really isolate the glute & ham & stretch the quad..varying your foot position will focus different areas. I point my feel slightly outward-no matter the width of my feel apart.. Its been working great for me & I had ACL replacement surgery 13months ago...

veteran_47 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getnjakked
    after warming up completely... I then do ALL my squats as far down as I can go...my last 2 sets I use the "pause" method to really isolate the glute & ham & stretch the quad..varying your foot position will focus different areas. I point my feel slightly outward-no matter the width of my feel apart.. Its been working great for me & I had ACL replacement surgery 13months ago...
    thats awesome recovery time!! I've had reattachment surgery for a ruptered quad tendon in my right knee in 2000. took me really about 8 months before i could get back to lifting, although I stayed away form squats. don't anymore though. its my best knee, my right one is giving me some minor issues (??) might be chondromelacia. have a friend who won't touch squats following ACL surgery, says his Dr. ( who knows everything by the way) don't do squats, they're bad for your knees. ha ha ha.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by briancb1
    not to highjack, but should my feet be pointing slightly out or strait forward? I find it much easier to control when my feet point slightly out.

Thanks
    I read a study somewhere that said if the knee varies off the course of the foot then there is greater force applied to the ligaments/maniscous which can cause damage over time... it seems as though biomechanicly they should be on the same tract you should find a nice groove that works for you

Thread Information