Big Drez is offline Banned

Triceps Pump from HELL...

OK, I know it isn't because they aren't "strong" enough to keep up with my chest, I'm thinkin' they may not be conditioned enough, I am asking for input.

Anyways, the past 3 chest workouts my triceps have had a pump from hell to where I can barely make a muscle without my elbow feeling like it's going to pop out of the skin. It doesn't hurt at all, but the thing is, I'm doing CHEST. Now I know while doing chest I am indirectly working out my shoulders and triceps, but by the time I get through my four sets of flat bench, three sets of incline/decline (whichever I am doing that week) and my flat bench flies my triceps feel like they're going to explode. Now on my close grip bench I usually rep 225 for 10, 235 for 8 and 245 for around 6. I use anywhere from 105-125 on skullcrushers, and I use about the 100-115lb dumbbell on overhead extensions. I know they are strong enough to deal with my chest workout, maybe I don't have enough "tricep stamina" if you want to call it that. Any input?

Oh by the way...I am on NOTHING as far as steroids go as of now. Just protein shakes and multi-vitamins for me until the first/second week of April.

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    What kind of grip do you use on bench presses? My tris crap out on inclines if my grip is too narrow, especially after flat bench. Are you tall?

6'0'' tall and I usually wrap my middle finger around the indentation in the bar....

biggity bumppp...

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    shorten your range of motion a bit, I think your locking out or comming pretty close,

check out jay cutlers style of benching sometime on youtube. it looks like he is half assing his reps but hes just keeping the weight in his chest and limiting shoulders and tris

Also make sure to pull your shoulder blades back while benching, this will help stretch the chest and limit other muscle groups involvement.

also you might have to resort to pre fatigueing the chest before compound movements.

Yes I am actually locking out completely...hmmm...never thought of that...thanks for the tip...I'll try that...

No prob BIG D.....

ghostdog128 is offline Junior Member
    What MFT said is good advice. Also when benching you're not indirectly working your tri's, you're directly working them!! On compound movements you can't isolate a certain muscle, I'm sure you know this but I wanted to make sure, some people don't understand the relationship.

Thread Information