Thread: Sore Lats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Getinbgr is offline Associate Member

Sore Lats

The outside of my lats seem to be taking a beating from my chest workout, so much so that I am unable to do pull-downs or pull-ups the day following a chest workout. Is this normal or a reflection on my form during my chest work-out?

Random is offline RETIRED VET
    Yea its normal on a tough chest day, after all the bench press recruits the lats during the lift...

CD

I suppose the fix is to not work the back following chest.

If theyre sore i would put a rest day after chest..

CD

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    yes and vise versa working back on day 1 and then chest on day 2.

Cap--

What's your secret to the dominating back. My back lags behind my chest and arms. Mentally, it just seems difficult to get right at it like you can the chest, arms and legs.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Getinbgr
    Cap--

What's your secret to the dominating back. My back lags behind my chest and arms. Mentally, it just seems difficult to get right at it like you can the chest, arms and legs.
    really??

I stopped working my chest completely.. used hooks and after 2 months was able to really build a decent back...

the hooks allow you to train with weights that will stress the back, the grip is no longer the weak point of the exercise..

Now, i could have taken 4-6 years and tried to continue to build up the grip so i could use the heavier weight, but with this technique, you are building muscle, and when that happens the weak points usually come along nicely..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

To me its all about focus, forget about weights used etc...just go in there like you are training at home, do whatever it takes to feel the muscle being worked and train as if no one is watching you...my weights logged arent impressive at all, yes i have put up some very impressive weights in my day but now its all about form and building muscle efficiently...

CD

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDominate
    To me its all about focus, forget about weights used etc...just go in there like you are training at home, do whatever it takes to feel the muscle being worked and train as if no one is watching you...my weights logged arent impressive at all, yes i have put up some very impressive weights in my day but now its all about form and building muscle efficiently...

CD
    well put.. i like doing low weight and hi reps and that makes my body respond in a manner in which i want it to..

find what works, there is no one in the gym i am trying to impress..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Part of the problem for me, especially with seated rows, is my bis tire more quickly than my back, and I lose my ability to do the reps. Grip is also a problem.

With respect to higher rep count and lower weight, I believe that to be true. Some of my best back pumps have come when I've increased the reps and sets--possible because it's allowing me to tire the back without killing the bis and the grip. But there's always that little voice in the head telling me I should drop the sets to 3-4 and max out with heavier weights like most of my other routines.

Thanks for thoughts.

is my bis tire more quickly than my back, and I lose my ability to do the reps. Grip is also a problem.
    If your bis are tiring before the lats then u must be using too much of them, in a seated row, try to keep the chest up and elbows real close and tight to the body that should help..

CD

As a follow-up, revised back routine had great results. I am VERY sore today. Routine went as follows:

Pull-ups 3x10
    Lat Pulldowns 4X
    Deadlifts 3X
    Seated Rows 3X
    Shrugs 4X

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    Routine looks solid to me. Back was one area I had never trained enough when I got into weightlifting and it lagged big time. A couple of years ago I added bent over rows to my routine and have done them consistently since with great results in thickness. I now start my workout with wide grip chins and have noticed significant widening.

Thread Information