the big lebowski is offline Junior Member

dumb question on smith machine

so i wanna use the smith machine for shoulder presses but u know how some have the angle to them ? Well i thought when u press it up u want the angle going away from u but the other day i saw some guys who are pretty serious lifters pressing it up with the angle going forward or towards them? (i hope this makes sense)
    so which is correct? pressing it up so it moves away on the way up or toward u?

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    I wouldn't think either one is really ideal, but when I press, the barbell starts under my chin and ends up a few inches past my face, arms extended overhead obviously.

I'd try using the spot bars in the squat rack and skip the whole smith machine thing. Or at least try a Hammer Strength machine that is built to mimic a natural range of motion.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    I wouldn't think either one is really ideal, but when I press, the barbell starts under my chin and ends up a few inches past my face, arms extended overhead obviously.

I'd try using the spot bars in the squat rack and skip the whole smith machine thing. Or at least try a Hammer Strength machine that is built to mimic a natural range of motion.
    ive used all that before. i just wanna switch things up a little. so ur sayin the ones where they move up at an angle are no good?

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the big lebowski
    ive used all that before. i just wanna switch things up a little. so ur sayin the ones where they move up at an angle are no good?
    I'm saying, the bar moving away would be easierr on your shoulders.

oo i got ya

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    There is a small theater that used to be a bank in Kansas City, They show foreingn films and just off the wall movies and every third friday of the month they show the big lebowski, and serve white russians and miller lite beer.

as far as the smith question, I would want to try both, because when you do a overhead push press, you want your arms to come up and a bit behind with your head/neck pushed forward, The other way might tend to hit the anterior delts a bit.

sooooo,,,, Like I said do both. see what you like.

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    personally i would stay away from the machine for shoulder presses, this exercise is prone for injury IMO and you aren't doing a natural range of motion on the smith so you are prone to hurting your shoulders even more.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    ive used the smith for years with success, sure you dont have a natural arc but its not a great degree. Just my o.

I think doing a seated military press with a decently loaded barbell is alot more "dangerous" it all boils down to form vs poundage.

lol, the DUDE abides
    lol ,but cool ill give both a try, i guess i was more worried bout correct form but makes more sense that either could be beneficial

Thread Information