sphincter is offline Member

what's best exercise for back?

I want to make my back more broad and generally better looking. what's best exercises/routine to get my back up to par...

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I like wide-grip pull-ups, weighted if you can, for lat width, and lower cable pulls for back thickness.

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    deads can do some good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima******ger View Post
    I like wide-grip pull-ups, weighted if you can, for lat width, and lower cable pulls for back thickness.
    lower cable pulls? example/explanation please? I'm not good with the terminology as I'm a beginner BBer and have no mentor/training partner at all

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    the first exercise in this video:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=y6-y9uN9t4E

O.K. I've done those then.. I call it a seated row though... that's what I write in my workout notes anyway. I'll do more now though. thanks.

sonnygll is offline Member
    I think free weights are better. I like the standard bent over row, however many people get the form wrong. Pullups and chins are another good general back exercise, which are very lat heavy, where as the rows are more heavy on traps, romboids, etc. Then a deadlift variation of some kind is good for not only lower back but the hamstrings and the whole posterior chain for that matter.

You can do some of your back work underhand to work the biceps with it too.

You can throw in close grip palm facing chins on occasion. Another good one to try every now and then are the barbell T-bar rows.

Use dumbbells sometimes. You can do the standard single arm, or lay prone on a bench and do both.

These are all excellent back exercises to put in your rotation.

You should really work the back from both the horizontal and vertical plain.

yungfaceb3 is offline Associate Member
    If you want to build up your back you need to focus on the width and thicklness of it. You need to do WIDE grip chin ups...bringing your chest up to almost touching the bar. You also need to fllow these with some cose grip chins. This will hit the outer sweep sweep of your lats upper and lower and widen your back. For thickness do t-bar rows and bent over barbell rows. When doing the barbell rows grip the bar wide..i mean you entire hand should be outside of the ring on the bar. Also for overall back size and strength you must do deadlifts. Seated cable rows are good too, but i use them as more ofafinishing exercise becuase cables arer no substitute for free weights when it comes to building soze and overall development.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    wide grip pull downs (not behind the head)
    close grip pull downs

Low row

and DB incline with a deep below chest dip..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    spywizard and ima******ger nailed it.

Wide Grip Pullups(Body Weight)/Wide grip pull downs(cable)
    close grip pull downs (cable)
    close grip seated rows (cable)
    wide grip bent over rows(barbell)

WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Deadlifts
    WG chins
    BB bent row

green22 is offline Senior Member
    The back is complex and you need many compound movements. Im not sure you can say any one excercise is best. but a good lookin back is what seperates you from others.

green22 is offline Senior Member
    that and legs.......

YouAintKnow330 is offline Associate Member
    Pull Ups is where its at

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    my opinion on back

back width- firstly, I cant stress enough perfect form....perfect form goes without saying, and should be used for all muscles, but its easy to stray from p.f with lats, so i cant emphasize enough that p.f. is more important than the exercise chosen...this is the key
    my exercsises of choice are- hammer pull downs, and lat pull downs....done correctly, the wings feel torched the next day....if i used to much weight, i dont feel this

back thickness- floor deadlifts is king....torches traps, rear delts, lower back, and a little upper back....again, i think perfect form is really really important for rows....one reason i dont like barbell rows very much...its really tough to use perfect form....so a hammer row machine where you can use a barbell type grip...again with perfect form, and the right amount of weight, is what gets the job done

so my 2 cents over all....deadlifts is king of back thickness...rows are important to, but perfect form goes without saying, but needs to be stepped up a notch with lats and rows....form imo for back is more important then the actual exercise you choose

the exercsises I chose, are the ones where I can get into the groove best
    Last edited by IronReload04; 11-06-2007 at 10:47 AM.

RANA is offline 100% American Beef
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima******ger View Post
    I totally agree

somebody have a video of 100% proper deadlift technique? I want to add that in but I have always been leary of geting too heavy with my back being all messed up as it is. I am, however, trying to improve my chances of recovery and avoiding future injuries by making myself as strong as possible.. and that needs to include the back. That is why I asked this question in the first place.. because I know little about good exercises for the back nor how to do the properly but I, moreso than most, have a huge need for a strong, well developed back.

and BTW, big thanks to all those who have provided such great input in this thread.

sonnygll is offline Member

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    pulldowns
    one arm dumbbell rows
    deads
    bent rows
    pullups
    seated rows

I pick 3 or 4 of these exercises and their different variations on my back day.

Thread Information