Thread: Chest Questions

dupminxhere is offline Junior Member

Chest Questions

I'm a small guy. My true WEAKNESS is chest. I'm defined and going steady with everything else, but my chest is a big disappointment. I seriously have a max of 135. Laugh, I don't care. =P

I have to start somewhere.

Usually I bench like 110 rep wise.

I'm 3 weeks into working out serious, so I am new to a lot of it. There have been tons of the body builders at the gym I've swallowed my pride and asked to help me with some tips on things.

Just to give you an idea:

weight 140 height 6 foot

Arms:
    Curl 30 lbs steady with 1 set of 35 pounds.

Tris same weights on the dumbbell exercises
    I put 80 on the tri machine that you hold the two handles on bend arms forward and back (i'm seriously sorry idk what the work out is called)
    Legs:

270 repiticious on decline leg press - 400 max
    200 incline

200 squat

70 on calve raises

Abs/Obliques:
    80 pounds on ab machine steady 90 max

75 lb dumbell for my obliques

I guess thats a brief overall of things i do - there are tons more exercises people walk me through at the gym

But, it seems the days i do my chest, which i havent done much of, no ones there lol

Now, can you give me a good workout routine for my chest day like 3 sets of this - set of that, so on

I'm not good at all on chest and it'd be great to get some advice.

thanks for sitting through this and reading it - again, sorry i'm not familiar with exercise names.

THE PUMP is offline Member
    You should do each part of the chest, theres upper lower inner outer chest so the idea is to blast each part once a week

So for instance - I could do regular old bench, flies, and the dumbels while laying down too? Also incline and decline?

Do you have advice as to how many sets/reps i should do on regular bench, I can usually figure out incline and decline based off that.

One guy suggested I go a heavy set of 8 take weight off set of 8-10, weight off set of 8-10, then a kill.

does that sound good for regular bench?

Max bench: 135
    Usually Rep: 110

How's this sound?

Flat bench 5x5
    -first set 115
    -second 110
    -third 100
    -4th/5th 110

Max Incline dumbell press: 45's
    Usually rep: 35's

Incline dumbell press 2x8-10
    -first set 40's
    -second set 35's

Max Incline Flyes: 35's
    Usually rep: 30's

Incline flyes 2x8-10
    -first/second 30's

After a week of that, add 5 pounds to flat bench, same dumbell presses and flyes, or possibly up the weight on second sets?

Any suggestions?

KeepingItBalanced is offline Associate Member
    I think to get your chest stronger, 5 sets is the key.... and you do need to work from all angles...

But you need to pick your starting weight, and do that until failure, then increase, do it to failure, do this every set. Don't stop pushing the weight just because you did 10 reps if you can probably do 1-2 more.

You need someone to spot you or use a smith machine with the stops set. Make sure you go all the way up and all the way down, but still keeping contraction on the pectorals. Don't lock your arms, or let the bar rest on your chest, just touch it. Unless you can't do anymore reps

Remember to alternate the order of excercises too. Do some declines, and I always like to do some pushups after a chest workout. IT makes you feel stupid weak that you can't push yourself but 15-20 times per set, but it is great.

mmmmma is offline Junior Member
    I know you want to gain strength, but definitely check out the diet section. It will help you get bigger overall, which I'm sure you also want to get, and strength comes along with it.

When I started benching I started with the bar and 10's on each side. Now I warm up with 155lbs. It takes dedication. You'll get up there.

importeater91 is offline Member
    i was in the exact same boat as you. with rep wise i would do a a couple warm ups with light weight, then add on what ever i can do 10, then my max, ill do 3 sets untill failure, then ill go down to light weight. that worked for me. do some flys, cable crosses, and DIPS! i just started doing them again and i can really feel it in my chest
    just rember alot of weight doesnt mean any thing if your not doing the correct form. we were all there at one point. just keep it up and you will notice the weight going up

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate all the tips and motivation. That's my weak spot and I can't wait to see where this takes me in a few months.

importeater91 is offline Member
    i would mostly use DBs and machines that you can do each side individually because one side of mine is bigger than the other

Haha, omg I feel your pain! It almost makes my nipples look crooked where one side's skin is a bit more relaxed, you know?

I should ask the gym owner to watch my form in the morning - he's a body builder and he's ripped.

Thread Information