Lach01 is offline Associate Member

Legs or lack of them

Right need some help on legs, i've recently started back doing them since january ritulary and havent missed a session yet, never used to trian them like i have this year and really enjoying look forward to legs day more and more, then only problem is that the weight i can squat(90kg for 3 up to 130kg for 10) etc has gone up but my legs seemed to have stayed the same, my diet is fine as my weight and overall shape is increasing and getting better my inner chest prob seems to be getting better aswell.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to get them to grow, i have changed my routine once this year to avoid them getting used the same routine.

my current routine is as follows:-
    squats 2 x warm up
    4/5 x 8-10

press - 4 x 8-10

front squat - 3 x 10

extensions -1 x 6
    1 x 8
    1 x 15

curls - 1 x 6
    1 x 8
    1 x 15

any help or change of routine would be greatly appreciated.

facile is offline Member
    Only advice is to do squats properly, most folks in the gym are afraid to get low! Sissy squats are called that for a reason!

Keep at it ! They will come around.

yeah arse touching the floor training partner and gym instructor make sure of it only way to do them, but thanks for advise will keep at it just fustrating when rest of body responding well and legs and calfs showing me up but always had skinny legs from a child even when i was a sprinter.

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    just keep on doing aquats and all the variations. One day you will wake up and BAM there ya go, Your theighs will be bustin out of your jeans.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lifts-a-lot View Post
    just keep on doing aquats and all the variations. One day you will wake up and BAM there ya go, Your theighs will be bustin out of your jeans.
    You know it just occurred to me you could say the same thing about eating cake...

Just keep eating Cake all the variations. One day you will wake up and BAM there ya go, Your thighs will be bustin out of your jeans.

CheddaNips is offline Senior Member
    lol soul stealer. Pies too

BabyGravy is offline Junior Member
    Today i had a free assesment at the gym and this Personal Trainer asked me what i had planned for training today, so i said legs.... he said ok. and asked me a few questions. I told him that i had 2bad knees (one from a bike accident and one from rugby). so he said that he would try cater for that in the workout he was going to show me, he also said that this is a great "shock" workout... so i must try do it every 4 weeks or so

but here it is

We started with 5min warmup on a bike, nothing hectic

then moved to Hamstring Curls
    15 reps of 40kg
    12 reps of 50kg
    10 reps of 55kg
    and then a quick drop set (8 reps of 40kg)

then moved onto extensions
    same sort of thing, except used a pretty light weight (about 15Kg) and did each leg seperatly, 3 sets each leg

then did Leg Press
    three sets of (15, 12, 10) while supersetting with doing normal standing squats with a 20Kg plate in my hands infront of my chest.

Then did 2 sets of 20 toe presses for calves on the leg press machine

then moved onto Squats.
    used the smith machine...
    did 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 with toes pointing slightly outwards.

then did one set of 15 Front Squats.

then moved onto the calf machine and did 2 sets of 20

then did 30 reps on the abductor machine.

then a 5min cooldown on a bike

So i think what he was trying to do was "shock" my legs by making them pretty darn tired by doing Hammys and calves and quads before i went to Squats.

it seems to have worked really well and will definitly do that again in 4 weeks time, just to keep my legs alive...

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGravy View Post
    Today i had a free assesment at the gym and this Personal Trainer asked me what i had planned for training today, so i said legs.... he said ok. and asked me a few questions. I told him that i had 2bad knees (one from a bike accident and one from rugby). so he said that he would try cater for that in the workout he was going to show me, he also said that this is a great "shock" workout... so i must try do it every 4 weeks or so

but here it is

We started with 5min warmup on a bike, nothing hectic

then moved to Hamstring Curls
    15 reps of 40kg
    12 reps of 50kg
    10 reps of 55kg
    and then a quick drop set (8 reps of 40kg)

then moved onto extensions
    same sort of thing, except used a pretty light weight (about 15Kg) and did each leg seperatly, 3 sets each leg

then did Leg Press
    three sets of (15, 12, 10) while supersetting with doing normal standing squats with a 20Kg plate in my hands infront of my chest.

Then did 2 sets of 20 toe presses for calves on the leg press machine

then moved onto Squats.
    used the smith machine...
    did 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 with toes pointing slightly outwards.

then did one set of 15 Front Squats.

then moved onto the calf machine and did 2 sets of 20

then did 30 reps on the abductor machine.

then a 5min cooldown on a bike

So i think what he was trying to do was "shock" my legs by making them pretty darn tired by doing Hammys and calves and quads before i went to Squats.

it seems to have worked really well and will definitly do that again in 4 weeks time, just to keep my legs alive...

Thankls for that bro will give this a shot on next legs day and see how they get on, looks pretty impressive.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    I do hams and calves on different days so I'll give you a quick rundown of quad day...

Leg extensions 3 sets very light warm up pause at top for 2 seconds
    Lunges 35lb dumbells 2 sets of 8
    Deep Squats 275lb 3 sets of 10 with a drop set to 185 front squat to failure
    Hack Squats light weight super slow super controlled contraction to failure
    Leg extensions unilateral superset for 3 sets of 10
    Leg extensions regular to failure.....

That was my light day when I go heavy the ecsorsizes stay the same I just change the Squat weight heavy week is 365 for sets of 4-6 and normal week is 315 for sets of 6-8

crazyhorse1960 is offline Associate Member
    i remember when i just work my upper body cause i did not like doing legs,but one day i look into the mirror and i look like a funnel,so i started doing legs the more i did them the more i like them, i started doing them twice a week and w/in 6 months i started notice the difference in my legs and also my entire upper body started getting thicker no doubt man!..imo working leg religiously will work wonders for you physique as well as your over all strength.if you started doing them in jan and you look forward to doing them wait intill you start love doing them!.more power for ya bro!..
    Last edited by crazyhorse1960; 03-21-2008 at 06:25 PM.

thanks for all the help and encouragment guys deffinaltey helpping and taking everything on board. thanks.

SaSqUaDgE is offline Senior Member
    one thing i do for press and extensions every week i change it back and forth i do then one week legs farther apart next week legs closer together if that makes since

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    Okay, since I was getting ribbed about my previous post I will elaborate on what I feel is best for a long term leg routine/ exercises that will get you great results over time.

Your basic squat with a deep bend is the number one most important exercise in development. It hits your quads, hams, glutes and calves very well. Front squats are next for me. You have to check your pride at the door with these and do a weight that you can handle so that you do it correctly. I find these work great for really hitting my quads. Leg press are used in my routine for all out balls to the wall as heavy as you can handle sets. These are great to really pack muscle on and get a great pump in the theighs since you don't have to focus on stabelizing the rest of your body. Just make sure you are seated at an angle where your lower back doesn't roll up too much off of the pad. Leg extensions are also used throughout the process as a nice finishing movement to completely fry my quads.

As far as hams I keep it pretty simple and do stiff legged deads with both a barbell and dumbbells. Another movement I like to do even though a lot of guys don't like it since it is 'girly' are rear kicks. I also finish up with leg curls to exahust the muscle.

I break my legs up into two routines so don't go and think I do all of this in one workout.

It takes time and the gains are graual but man, one day you will really notice some improved legs!

Thread Information