Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    gimmewings is offline Junior Member

Stretching Question

So I never stretch... ever.

I'm guessing stretching is beneficial for many reasons.

When is the best time to stretch?
    What are some good stretches?
    Why IS stretching beneficial?

What are some good back stretches?

Thank You.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Honestly Thats a Very Great Question!!

1.When do we Stretch??

I usually have my clients not really stretch but go through there natural range of motion and do rotations to warm up the joints after about 5 mins of mod. cardio before our wt training. Static stretching before lessens the elasticity of the muscles and could result in injury.

After is when You would want to stretch and hold to increase flexibility.

2. What Are Good Stretches.

Almost any stretch is a great stretch, areas that are a main concern is the hips and hamstrings/Glutes. So many of my clients are plagued by lower back pain which is because of tight hamms. Also to many guys have overly tight pecs and ant. delts due to too much benching. Chest/shoulder stretchs are also important.

3.Why Stretch?

Because of muscle imbalances. The next time your at the Mall or Gym watch people as they walk. Notice how they have a droppy ass and rounded shoulders. Its cause there to damn tight. Now imagine putting a loaded barbell on there shoulders and telling them to squat. Not Pretty. If more people would spend time working on tight muscles and correcting imbalances they wouldnt have to invest in things like knee wraps, weight belts, Dr. visits, and back surgery.

Plus a recent article in MD talked about how stretching releases a protein (I may be wrong) called P-something that helps BIG time with Hypertrophy. The article mentioned it because it was about how taking NSAIDS reduce and inhibit this protein and give you a big zero for development that day. (Awesome article btw if someone could post it that would be awesome)

4.Back Stretches.

Upper Back Stretch: with fingers interlaced push forward with palms outward. Roll the shoulders forward and tuck your hips inward.

Lower Back Stretch: Take a deep breath and as you exhale bend forward with knees slightly bent and let your torso naturally lengthen toward the floor arms hanging loose. Do not force the stretch, just relax and breath. As you come up bend your knees, roll the spine upward SLOWLY and make sure you head and shoulders are the last part to come up to start position.

Suppine Back Stretch. Lying on your back. Roll your Legs to your chest. Cradle your arms behind your thighs under your knees. Slowly pull your thighs into the chest. when you start to loosen you can slowly rock back side to side. Then relase your thighs, outstretch your arms out side to side palms facing down and SLOWLY let your bent legs rotate to the Right and look left along your left arm. Hold and repeat in opposite direction.

lotaquestions is offline Banned
    i dont have anything to add to that. good info

wanabeMASSIVE! is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes when i stretch i get a pump thaught id just add that!

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    stretch after you get done training.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    warm up
    stretch
    lift
    stretch

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Interested in this "NSAIDS reduce and inhibit this protein and give you a big zero for development that day" article. I have lower back pain and take anti-inflammatory's sometimes before my workout. So are you saying that I am getting nothing from my workout since I am taking these ai's before?

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Well Yes and No. Part of the recovery process during/after lifting is inflamation. Your body sends out to proteins or hormones I cant remember which it was. One of them increases protein synthesis and the other is a negative which I think increases cortisol to a degree.

In the article it talked about how NSAIDs shut off the positive effect of inflamation which inhibits Pro. Syn. PWO substatally.

Now this has been discused on this forum quite abit before. the verdict is still out on this one. I think Nark said it was overratted, but I think he has also said not to take them unless absoultly needed.

None the less it was a very interesting article, and I decided that I would not take NSAIDS unless I absoultly had to.

Tom Prince Abused advil which caused his kidney failure and he still got to a comp weight near 300 lbs at like 5' 8" of course he had genes and drugs to do it but I think you can see my point....

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yeah I have read about it potentially slowing down protein synthesis and I only use it when I have to. For example, last week I forgot to take it and on my last workout for the week I had to end early because I was in so much pain. So my thoughts are skipping a workout or ending a workout early is far worse than an ai's so called negative effects.

Thread Information