Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mike954 is offline Member

Sauna is it a waste of time?

ok guys after i lift than do cardio i hit the sauna for 10 or 15 min is it worth it or just a waste of time ???

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    What are you using it for? You wont burn fat in there if that's what you are asking...

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    yup just water wich will return in the next thing u drink

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Use for Relaxation? Cool.

Fat-burning? Fail.

Better off using that 15 minutes hitting the treadmill.

-CNS

sager85 is offline Junior Member
    Relaxation is true, but it releases latic acid in ur muscles.. After all my workouts I sit in there for 10 min.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sager85 View Post
    Relaxation is true, but it releases latic acid in ur muscles.. After all my workouts I sit in there for 10 min.
    No it doesnt, The sauna only causes the release of water and electrolytes.

kirk3624 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    No it doesnt, The sauna only causes the release of water and electrolytes.
    Ignoring effects upon fat loss, what about toxins? I always thought the sauna was an excellent medium to flush toxins that wreak havic upon the immune system. Also flush out all the artificial B.S. in foods like High Fructose Corn Syrup for example, and others. Thoughts?

I would think that the sauna would be especially beneficial for BB's by improving internal cleansing. ???

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk3624 View Post
    Ignoring effects upon fat loss, what about toxins? I always thought the sauna was an excellent medium to flush toxins that wreak havic upon the immune system. Also flush out all the artificial B.S. in foods like High Fructose Corn Syrup for example, and others. Thoughts?

I would think that the sauna would be especially beneficial for BB's by improving internal cleansing. ???

The body neutralizes and renders most compounds that are toxic or not beneficial by chemically modifying that compound whether its organic or inorganic. The skin is not a permeable tissue the sweat glands are not linked to the lymphatic system, or even the systemic circulation. They get water to move into the sweat ducts by osmosis.

It is true that some drugs can be excreted through the sweat glands. Practically anything that is soluble in water and is not a huge molecule could be sweated out. The typical person produces 1 liter of water and hour. Even if toxins were excreted this way. It wouldnt be nearly as effective as the other organ systems such as, the digestive tract, kidneys and liver.

Probably the major concern with sweating is losing water and electrolytes. During heavy exercise or hot enviroments the sweat glands do not have time to reabsorb all the ions that it secretes to facilitate movement of water into the ducts of the sweat gland.

I guess in a sense you could say that sweating removes toxins, but so does breathing, pooping, peeing well you get the point.

As far as High Fructose Corn Syrup goes that will all be processed by the liver. Fructose like glucose can be used by all cells with some exceptions as a source of energy. The third enzymatic step in glycolysis converts glucose (glucose 6-Phoshate) to fructose (fructose-6-Phosphate) and further process it down the line. Fructose can be transported into cells by a special transporter similar to the glucose transporter and will be processed just the same as glucose except it will enter glycolysis at a different enzymatic step of course.

Sugars such as those (glucose, fructose) can not on there own move across a cell membrane same as protein. I do not believe that much sugar is lost via sweating, it would be hard for me to think of a reason why. For one your body does not want to loss energy, and second it would give the bacteria of the skin a great energy source.

kirk3624 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    The body neutralizes and renders most compounds that are toxic or not beneficial by chemically modifying that compound whether its organic or inorganic. The skin is not a permeable tissue the sweat glands are not linked to the lymphatic system, or even the systemic circulation. They get water to move into the sweat ducts by osmosis.

It is true that some drugs can be excreted through the sweat glands. Practically anything that is soluble in water and is not a huge molecule could be sweated out. The typical person produces 1 liter of water and hour. Even if toxins were excreted this way. It wouldnt be nearly as effective as the other organ systems such as, the digestive tract, kidneys and liver.

Probably the major concern with sweating is losing water and electrolytes. During heavy exercise or hot enviroments the sweat glands do not have time to reabsorb all the ions that it secretes to facilitate movement of water into the ducts of the sweat gland.

I guess in a sense you could say that sweating removes toxins, but so does breathing, pooping, peeing well you get the point.

As far as High Fructose Corn Syrup goes that will all be processed by the liver. Fructose like glucose can be used by all cells with some exceptions as a source of energy. The third enzymatic step in glycolysis converts glucose (glucose 6-Phoshate) to fructose (fructose-6-Phosphate) and further process it down the line. Fructose can be transported into cells by a special transporter similar to the glucose transporter and will be processed just the same as glucose except it will enter glycolysis at a different enzymatic step of course.

Sugars such as those (glucose, fructose) can not on there own move across a cell membrane same as protein. I do not believe that much sugar is lost via sweating, it would be hard for me to think of a reason why. For one your body does not want to loss energy, and second it would give the bacteria of the skin a great energy source.
    Hey thanks for going in depth like that. Fantastic response.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Never heard of that, why would it release lactic Acid?? Please explain.

I did read in MD that sitting in a sauna/steam is great PWO because (supposedly) it cause your body to release a "Heat Shock Protein" that helps your body recover and kick start protein syn. SO, with that try knocking back your PWO shake in the sauna and see if you dont start to help build size. And Make sure to replace the fluid you lose after or you might retain water...

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    ^^I think that 'heat shock' hypothesis is over-rated... Much like most every run-of-the-mill hypothesis to date.

Much like: avoid NSAIDs completely ...etc. etc.

Overall... the differences will be minimal...if any at all.

That being said... if the user believes that something 'works', then said user should continue doing it.

The mind's a powerful entity

-CNS

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    i used it before working out just to warm my muscles up and get the blood flowing. felt more loose in the gym. but thats just me.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    ^^ +1 I do that as well but I hate it cause I have to associate with alot of nude old men.

And Yeah, Nark, I kinda thought the same thing as well.

AverageWorkouts is offline Junior Member
    Ya its kind of an attitude thing. If you feel its helping then it probly is. I use to jump in the hottub after my workouts, I felt like it helped shed that extra pound and it losend me up a bit.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have one here at my pad.... I use for relaxation and the only thing I can say for sure is that it dehydrates the heck out of me.....so make sure you drink plenty of water after to replenish system.

PEWN is offline AR Addict
    Blog Entries
    its nice for when i had acne for some reason it would open my pores ..... also, it helps me if I have a sore muscle. Either that or the cold 55 degree pool.

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike954 View Post
    ok guys after i lift than do cardio i hit the sauna for 10 or 15 min is it worth it or just a waste of time ???

just have a hot bath when you get home.

saunas are just a distraction in the gym,but thats just me.

Thread Information