DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Benching problem gone on too long.

Ok i been making great gains in all of my lifts expect 2, the BB military press and the BB bench press. I can throw a decent amount of weight on the M-press so i am not worried about that area too much its the benching thats killing me. I have ALWAYS had a problem with flat BB bench so i kinda stayed away from this movement which i know is bad. Well i been working out with DB's but the problem is i am currently using the heaviest DB's that my gym has. I finally said F-this and tried the bench again today and i was utterly disappointed once again. This is my problem:
    When i bench i feel a lot of pressure in my left front delt. Not painful but like its being worked hard. The problem is i don't feel it in my chest or my right front delt. I have tried all kinda of grips, spacing my grips etc. I have just about perfect form: Feet flat, chest out, butt down, chin down etc etc (i know the movement). The main problem is since its feels like my delts are doing all the work i can't product the numbers. Today i only put on like 130 lbs and wanted to just rep out and try and take notice of where i feel the burn while at the same time try and take notice of my form once again. Well the form looked great and like always i felt the burn in my front left delt and tri's. Now mind you i don't take the bar all the way down to chest as i know this can cause shoulder problems (i am just taking precautions here while i figure this out). I was so frustrated that i grabbed a personal trainer and then ask him if he could show me what i was doing wrong. He watched me and said my form is great then started asking me if i ever had a shoulder injury.

WTF!!!!!!!!

I don't know what to do at this point x100

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    1st...congrates on finding your way out of the lounge...

What about incline BB? same pain? have you tried doing flat bench on a smith machine?

When I flat bench I tend to bring the bar down slightly lower on my chest...like near the bottom of the peck. I injured both of my shoulders and it keeps them from hurting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damiongage View Post
    1st...congrates on finding your way out of the lounge...

What about incline BB? same pain? have you tried doing flat bench on a smith machine?

When I flat bench I tend to bring the bar down slightly lower on my chest...like near the bottom of the peck. I injured both of my shoulders and it keeps them from hurting.
    lol thanks.

I never did smith flat presses, smiths always seem taboo

When i do incline BB press i don't feel it as much.

Its almost like i feel my body is not coming together to product my max power (if that makes sense). Its like, you know how you have a heavy @$$ set of dead's coming up and you focus, grab the bar then just explode with all you have and get it done ? That NEVER happens for benching. My mindset is there and i am totally mentally ready but once that bar comes off the hooks its like my body slams on the breaks.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    lol thanks.

Its almost like i feel my body is not coming together to product my max power (if that makes sense). Its like, you know how you have a heavy @$$ set of dead's coming up and you focus, grab the bar then just explode with all you have and get it done ? That NEVER happens for benching. My mindset is there and i am totally mentally ready but once that bar comes off the hooks its like my body slams on the breaks.
    I know exactly what you mean. I can only tell you what worked for me.

I lowered the weight quite a bit to about 1/2 of what I was doing on DB and went all the way down to the chest. At first that caused me some serious pain. Did 3 sets of 10 once a week for a month.

Eventually the pain went away and I worked up to doing BB's about 20% more than my DB weight for 3 sets of 10. Spotter helps too.

I have no scientific or logical reason why it worked for me. Can't predict if it will work for you.

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    lol thanks.

I actually like it for my first set. Really allows me to focus directly on the pec, and not the supporting muscles like the front delt. Try a few setson a smith machine bringing the bar down near or at the bottom of the pec.

one of my favorit chest routines is

Flat bench smith
    incline DB
    decline flies

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    maybe try to change the plane of motion on your rep...bring the bar down just below your nips as opposed to bringing the bar down right on your nips...you know what i mean?

also when i am pressing i try to imagine i am expanding my lats out which really forces me to use my chest

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number twelve View Post
    maybe try to change the plane of motion on your rep...bring the bar down just below your nips as opposed to bringing the bar down right on your nips...you know what i mean?

also when i am pressing i try to imagine i am expanding my lats out which really forces me to use my chest
    I was doing that today. Still same thing.

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    are you on any AAS? like winstrol that will dry your joints out?

Try hitting up some dips and some decline bench. Never used decline before (now using slingshot training) and I actually feel quite a benefit so far.

I really have to make sure my shoulders, chest is warmed up before flat benching. Do a few sets of pushups to get the blood flowing and use some light d-bells and do some front raises.

I don't know, just some suggestions. Good luck DSM

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem in one shoulder. I decided to take a few months off of flat bench to let the shoulder heal, and do only dips, flys, push ups, etc.. It's been a few months and honestly, my chest still feels as thick and strong as ever. I'm coming to the conclusion that flat bench is not necessary for a developed chest.

hauss man is offline Member
    post a video of you benching with a weight around 80% max. you say you have great form but im sure there might be something i can help you with

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hauss man View Post
    post a video of you benching with a weight around 80% max. you say you have great form but im sure there might be something i can help you with
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6tB8NYGdHw
    You see a problem ?

Blackster1975 is offline Associate Member
    lol crazy video that guy has great form, i rekon your form will be way better than that guys dsm lol

green22 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldnt sweat it bro. If it bothers your shoulders and ya not feeling it in your chest then forget them. I never do them due to pain in my shoulders when I get up in weight. I use incline and DB's and my chest looks straight. Remember there in more than one way to skin a cat.

ChuckLee is offline Scammer
    (nude)

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You might be thinking too much about it.... that sounds lame, because if the pain is real then it is real... I have shoulder pains all the time and they come and go.... I just keep after it or go a little lower on the weight the week it is bugging me...

I suggest to do the bb bench as your starter for chest every week and work it progressivley... try not to think on it too much and focus on the other exercises too...if it starts to get worse or hurt worse, then obviously stop because you might have a lil problem with the shoulder...

the wider the grip the more stress on the shoulder area...the closer ellivates it more, but you de pend more on the weaker muscle.

yeah, the problem is you asked for help with your bench form. the only way any one can really help you is by seeing you bench. so instead of posting a video of yourself you post one of some kid who can probably bench more than you.

Blog Entries
    yeah, the problem is you asked for help with your bench form. the only way any one can really help you is by seeing you bench. so instead of posting a video of yourself you post one of some kid who can probably bench more than you.
    If you read my original post i didn't once ask for pointers on form.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Tough for me to comment on this thread, no offense but DSM4Life your avy grosses me out!

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    yea, but you want to get to the bottom of this and you also said that you asked a trainer to look at your form.. haussman is a powerlifter that probably knows a heck of a lot more on form and technique than a trainer from a local gym... come on now.

i will guarantee you have form issues. but suit yourself

Blog Entries
    i will guarantee you have form issues. but suit yourself
    I don't post pics/vids of myself on here and i don't have the know how to edit a video (take out face) so its not happening. I do however appreciate you wanting to help.

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Tough for me to comment on this thread, no offense but DSM4Life your avy grosses me out!
    yet you still find the need to reply

zartan is offline Banned
    What is the heaviest DB your gym has? You had the trainer check your form, beyond that, listen to your body, if it hurts then don't do it, lower weights and practice the movement and build from there.

TheArtist is offline Member
    i know you're not looking for form advice... BUT, do you have a wide wingspan ? I find that i have to take a really wide grip, and bring the bar down closer to my upper chest, OR my delts really kick in.
    +2 on congrats for venturing out of the lounge.

Thread Information