Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    rkennedy9064 is offline New Member

Bad body type for gaining size?

I've been working out for a while now and have been wondering why im not putting on much size. I try to eat ever 2-3 hours of at least 300-400 calorie meals. I am very lean and ive always had the ectomorph(i believe thats what it is called) body type. I notice that my strength continues to go up all the time, but i cant really put on much size, only strength. Just checking if this is normal or not.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever had your testosterone levels checked?

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by rkennedy9064 View Post
    I've been working out for a while now and have been wondering why im not putting on much size. I try to eat ever 2-3 hours of at least 300-400 calorie meals. I am very lean and ive always had the ectomorph(i believe thats what it is called) body type. I notice that my strength continues to go up all the time, but i cant really put on much size, only strength. Just checking if this is normal or not.
    How old are you ? Layout out a normal days diet here meal by meal for us

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    How old are you ? Layout out a normal days diet here meal by meal for us
    Do this and we'll be able to help you out. Full Stats please

TechTonic is offline New Member
    Although genetics may not be in your favor, I agree that your issue is most likely due to your diet plan.

Believe me, I have been there, and kind of still am. I started off at 135 lbs at 6.0 tall. Worked out for 2 years and didn't gain a thing.

I then started it all over again with help from the diet section of this forum. Gained 25lbs in 1 year. I haven't gained much recently and realize that is most likely still due to not eating enough.

kdizzog is offline Associate Member
    I think alot has to do with genetics. I had a training partner for about three years. He was much smaller than me. But pound for pound he would stay with me, same reps, same weight. I gain very qiuck even naturally, he couldn't gain a pound if his life depended on it. He had a samll frame very low fat. I think it has alot to due with your chemical makeup.

captaincharles747 is offline Junior Member
    You're not eating right

ph34rsh4ck is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincharles747 View Post
    You're not eating right
    Well said.

bakie is offline Associate Member
    I feel his pain though. Check my diet out in the diet section, though I know it's not perfect it's not bad either. I gain so hard it hurts, but definitely throw out a meal plan that you go by. As said, it could very well be that you don't eat right, even though you are eating all the time.

mmafan78 is offline New Member
    I also have a hard time gaining, my weight fluxes between 150 and 160lbs, I'm about 5' 10". I know my diet is not the greatest, I don't do a lot of cooking. I did run into some help and was able to get to 170 but the help moved away. Anyway, do any of you recommend a certain workout style? I have read multi-joint for hard gainers. What do u think?

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Quote Originally Posted by mmafan78 View Post
    I also have a hard time gaining, my weight fluxes between 150 and 160lbs, I'm about 5' 10". I know my diet is not the greatest, I don't do a lot of cooking. I did run into some help and was able to get to 170 but the help moved away. Anyway, do any of you recommend a certain workout style? I have read multi-joint for hard gainers. What do u think?
    I recommend first you start a thread in the diet section. if you don't fix that first you're wasting time.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I recommend first you start a thread in the diet section. if you don't fix that first you're wasting time.
    Will do, thanks!

Not trying to butt in on your question man, I am new and have not figured out how to start a thread, having my own questions.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    just go to the proper section, and use the new thread button.

hybrid83 is offline Junior Member
    Alot of it might be age guys. When I was 18 I was skinny as a rail. Just 8 years later if I eat a donut my ass shakes for a week(Adam Sandler lol). Diets important all right but alot of it is your metabolism fighting your ass. Trust me enjoy it while it last. It's easier to get the meat on. Than to have the meat and try to get the fat off. LOL

elfin1mf is offline Associate Member
    I was wondering myself if hormones are the only factor. Is it true that some people cannot put on alot of mass even with perfect conditions and a good steroid cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by elfin1mf View Post
    I was wondering myself if hormones are the only factor. Is it true that some people cannot put on alot of mass even with perfect conditions and a good steroid cycle?
    Absolutely not, if you can't gain weight your diet and training need attention. And steroids will always yield gains when used responsibly, anyone who tells you they experience otherwise doesn't know $hit about diet and/or training.

I personally coached an ectomorph who though he had tried everything and thought he had no hope of gaining weight. Couple months later his strength shot up and he gained 10-20 lbs (newb gains) naturally.

Sometimes those who think they know everything are simply close minded and blind to their own oblivion

bucks_243 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elfin1mf View Post
    If your not eating 3-5,000 calories a day and you cycle all thats gonna happen is your gonna shrink your balls and have no gains. Eveyone talks about getting your PCT lined up before a cycle. Thats the last step. The first is to get your diet lined up or you'll pay just as much as if you didn't PCT.

Stevus is offline New Member
    I just thought I'd jump in and say, as a newbie lifter, I made only modest changes in my diet, started lifting until I thought my limbs were going to fall off, and I saw a change in my definition in only 2 months. I had half-assed lifting and had a shitty diet for the 6 months prior to that, and didn't see any changes. I'm slowly starting to realize that diet is the most important.

Thread Information