Thread: calves workout

srebrenica is offline Junior Member

calves workout

i have much bigger upper body compared to my lower body i usaully hit legs twice a week but there arent growing does anyone know good routine for calves that works well

jamminJohn is offline Junior Member
    I guess there aren't many people that do a lot of calf work. Let me see if I can help you out. There are 2 main muscles in the calves. I think they are the soleus and gastrocnemius, but I can't remember for sure. Anyway, one of these muscles gets worked primarily when you do work with your knees bent, as in a seated calf raise. The other is worked when your legs are straight, as in standing calf raises or donkey raises. The key to fully developing the calves is to work both muscles. Since your calves are used all the time, like when you are walking, to stimulate growth, you really need to hit them hard. As a general rule, it is recommended that you should be training your calves with at least twice your body weight. You also need to be sure to get a full range of motion. Some people like to do 25 or more reps per set for their calves. I'm not sure that this is necessary. If you go heavy enough with a full range of motion, your calves should be burning by about 10-12 reps. Your calves will also recover very quickly, so you can work them at least every other day. Calves can be really hard to develop and if your not genetically gifted in that area, it can make it even harder. Just keep at it. The growth may seem slow, but you will make improvements with hard work and persistance.

EasyDoesIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Calves are tough to grow if your not gifted with them. I f you are extremely small in that area it is even worse. I stimulated growth in mine with variety. Working them three to four times per week is suggested. Try doing 10 sets of 10 with 15 second breaks. Use a heavy enough weight to squeeze out 10. Also try holds on a different calf workout day. Do 15 reps and on the last rep hold at top for 5 seconds, take them down a bit and hold for another 5 seconds, take em all the way down and hold for 5 more. try doing about 5 sets of 15 reps like that. do high reps on a different workout 20 or 25 reps for 5 sets. I believe they need change to keep stimulating them. Try those for awhile. Make sure you always use full range of motion. There is more variety, hope it helps.

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by srebrenica View Post
    i have much bigger upper body compared to my lower body i usaully hit legs twice a week but there arent growing does anyone know good routine for calves that works well

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...ghlight=calves

checkout post #10

Dobie-BOY is offline Senior Member
    Ya, calves need to be trained VERY hard. Mine respond best to high reps. Your soleus is pretty much isolated with bent knee exercises. so, while I do bent knee exercises also, I primarily do straight leg exercises. I alternate abs one day and calves the next as long as their not still sore from the previous session.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ever41 View Post
    Yep, check it out.

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    You do this, your calves will grow for sure. I'm kinda lucky so I don't really do but 6-9 sets for calves on leg day and they seem to respond. Just make sure you go hard on em. Nice full range and try to get up on your tip toes when raising.

Thread Information