manwitplans is offline Senior Member

How long to rest for maximal hypertrophy?

Well the thing is, that I just newly started taking shorts pauses between sets, 60-90 seconds (ish)..

And Ive always been a 2-3 minute kind of break guys, with ball busting effort and low reps..

But with lower weight, and shorter pauses I really feel it in my muscle, I feel better contractions, I feel better pump (this one is getting wicked), never really felt anything in my back, but when I use 60-90 seconds breaks and light(er) weight, I really feel it, feel the whole musculature and the pump.

So I am kind of wondering if the shorter pauses will do me good, hyperthophywize..

Really trying to adding size now, strength faze is all but parished, I don't want to be strong looking like average, I want to be big (don't care about strength anymore), I am getting to old for that :P

Chime in please!!

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    1.5 mins for smaller muscles (bi's tri's)
    2.5 mins for bigger muscles (chest back)

3 mins for heavy basic compound movements (deads, squats)

thats what im doing now. heavy weight. low reps

but when i go less weight. higher reps ill lessen the time

Seems a little longer then most people would recommend.
    I start to lose the pump and the feeling if I take 3 minutes on compounds, and also 2.5 minutes are to long on the back and chest..

1.5 for arms seems right

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by VanTheMan View Post
    Seems a little longer then most people would recommend.
    I start to lose the pump and the feeling if I take 3 minutes on compounds, and also 2.5 minutes are to long on the back and chest..

1.5 for arms seems right
    for you maybe... not for me. i feel good doin it this way.
    and it gives me results

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Well the thing is, that I just newly started taking shorts pauses between sets, 60-90 seconds (ish)..

And Ive always been a 2-3 minute kind of break guys, with ball busting effort and low reps..

But with lower weight, and shorter pauses I really feel it in my muscle, I feel better contractions, I feel better pump (this one is getting wicked), never really felt anything in my back, but when I use 60-90 seconds breaks and light(er) weight, I really feel it, feel the whole musculature and the pump.

So I am kind of wondering if the shorter pauses will do me good, hyperthophywize..

Really trying to adding size now, strength faze is all but parished, I don't want to be strong looking like average, I want to be big (don't care about strength anymore), I am getting to old for that :P

Chime in please!!
    pic what you like... and change it up every once in a while

so, small muscles = lower rest
    larger muscles groups = more rest

time is all up to you, my rational on this is simple... the longer i wait the more i can lift for the most reps. for me i wait 3 ish min for just about every thing and if i am doing a big weight for a major muscle part (chest, squat, dead lift, bent overs exc...) i might even give it an extra min...

as for 60 - 90 seconds are you feeling the burn ? or the pump ? or both... if you are not used to that little rest it will def stress your muscles more

watch out for this:

- not getting as many reps on next set
    - using poor form to get the same reps
    - not doing too many sets with too little rest (just an exp - chest 12 - 15 sets, tries 8 - 10 sets, shoulders 12 - 18 sets for example) if you are, you will either over stress you joints or your central nervous system - causing you to be quickly over trained or injured.

all that said - changing up what you have been doing (assuming it was very diff) is a good thing just dont plan on doing it for a long time (long time would me imo = 2 - 3 months) i would say 2 or 3 works outs(so 2 - 3 weeks) per body part with the short rest idea... go for it

Yeah people are different, for me those pauses gets me alot of strength, and a little musclemass. I want it to be the other way around

dehydromethandrotren is offline Associate Member
    As long as it takes for you to recuperate to the point where you are comfortable handling the maximum poundage for maximum reps. typically, for me, 1-2 minutes is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by amcon View Post
    pic what you like... and change it up every once in a while

so, small muscles = lower rest
    larger muscles groups = more rest

time is all up to you, my rational on this is simple... the longer i wait the more i can lift for the most reps. for me i wait 3 ish min for just about every thing and if i am doing a big weight for a major muscle part (chest, squat, dead lift, bent overs exc...) i might even give it an extra min...

as for 60 - 90 seconds are you feeling the burn ? or the pump ? or both... if you are not used to that little rest it will def stress your muscles more

watch out for this:

- not getting as many reps on next set
    - using poor form to get the same reps
    - not doing too many sets with too little rest (just an exp - chest 12 - 15 sets, tries 8 - 10 sets, shoulders 12 - 18 sets for example) if you are, you will either over stress you joints or your central nervous system - causing you to be quickly over trained or injured.

all that said - changing up what you have been doing (assuming it was very diff) is a good thing just dont plan on doing it for a long time (long time would me imo = 2 - 3 months) i would say 2 or 3 works outs(so 2 - 3 weeks) per body part with the short rest idea... go for it
    Mostly feeling the pump, not the burn.
    I will try this method soon, I will keep going for about 3 months I guess, to really see how it goes for me.

The method I will be using on basic movements are:

- Pyramiding (12 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps) something like that (with added weight each set) and 60-90 seconds of rest in between.

I've tried using little rest in between sets for the last couple of workouts, I really love the feeling of it, the "tierdness" in the muscles are really different from what I got at using 2-3 minutes rest (mostly 3), and going heavy and all out.

I don't go all out on the first three sets, but I will push quick and hard until the rep speed slows down, then I will terminate the set. The last set I will push until one rep before absolute failure.

Quote Originally Posted by dehydromethandrotren View Post
    As long as it takes for you to recuperate to the point where you are comfortable handling the maximum poundage for maximum reps. typically, for me, 1-2 minutes is fine.
    Kind of depends what you mean with maximum poundages for maximum rep though..

But I get your point.

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Yeah people are different, for me those pauses gets me alot of strength, and a little musclemass. I want it to be the other way around
    more weight means more muscle, more volume means more muscle... the thing is their comes a point where you are doing more sets or more weight... and anything after that is just over training.

over training can come from not enough rest as well, i supose, not enough rest could be between set but i think any thing you do to change it up is good.

if you get a lot of strength and not a lot of muscle from lifting... that almost 100% of the time points to you diet... cals and protein

if you gain strength and gain weight you on the right track... just need to watch out that the bf is not sky rocketing

Mostly feeling the pump, not the burn.
    I will try this method soon, I will keep going for about 3 months I guess, to really see how it goes for me.

The method I will be using on basic movements are:

- Pyramiding (12 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps) something like that (with added weight each set) and 60-90 seconds of rest in between.

I've tried using little rest in between sets for the last couple of workouts, I really love the feeling of it, the "tierdness" in the muscles are really different from what I got at using 2-3 minutes rest (mostly 3), and going heavy and all out.

I don't go all out on the first three sets, but I will push quick and hard until the rep speed slows down, then I will terminate the set. The last set I will push until one rep before absolute failure.
    ya you sound like you got the idea going right ... when you go for that set with low reps take an extra min if you need it... and keep making sure your growing!!!!!

dehydromethandrotren is offline Associate Member
    Kind of depends what you mean with maximum poundages for maximum rep though..

But I get your point.
    Yea, I just mean you should use maximum weight on whatever your target rep range is and always be sure you are rested enough to get the most reps.

Quote Originally Posted by dehydromethandrotren View Post
    Yea, I just mean you should use maximum weight on whatever your target rep range is and always be sure you are rested enough to get the most reps.
    Yeah

Thread Information