Thread: 100 rep sets

ARMY_OF_1 is offline New Member

100 rep sets

Anyone try 100 rep sets or any extreme high rep sets? I usually work in the 8-12 rep range. Today I decided to switch up my routine for a few days and hit every bodypart with 1 100 rep set. any experiences with this? anyone use them on a regular basis? Too extreme?

bdog7583 is offline New Member
    That sounds dangerous!

Thanks for the valuable insight bdog.....

the weight is very low and achieves a serious pump... this method is not anymore "dangerous" than many other types of training. Looking for experience in this type of workout, not random interjections and unfounded thoughts.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    100 reps will give you a good pump and make you breath hard but it's not going to do much in the way of muscular hypertrophy. Training in that rep range will work your red muscle (slow twitch) fibers which are not the ones to target for gaining size. You want to concentrate on the white (fast twitch) fibers which respond best to the 6-15 rep range on average. Nothing wrong though with doing some sets of 100 now and then just to mix things up a bit.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    100 reps will give you a good pump and make you breath hard but it's not going to do much in the way of muscular hypertrophy. Training in that rep range will work your red muscle (slow twitch) fibers which are not the ones to target for gaining size. You want to concentrate on the white (fast twitch) fibers which respond best to the 6-15 rep range on average. Nothing wrong though with doing some sets of 100 now and then just to mix things up a bit.
    Totally agree !!

The main goal is to mix it up. maybe a day or two a month for a change and a different feel. I didnt know if anyone else had ever/does train this way

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by ARMY_OF_1 View Post
    The main goal is to mix it up. maybe a day or two a month for a change and a different feel. I didnt know if anyone else had ever/does train this way
    I have never done 100 but I often end my superlow rep, heavy sets with one set of 20-30 light weights. The pump is extreme !!!

20-30 is high rep in my book, sets of 100 are borderline cardio.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    I have never done 100 but I often end my superlow rep, heavy sets with one set of 20-30 light weights. The pump is extreme !!!
    agreed^^^^

i will normally do two normal sets of an exercise, then a dropset(2 drops), then a 25-30rep pump set, when i do my bi/tri/trap superset i can hardly bring water to my mouth afterwards cause my arms are extremely pumped

to the OP, i have some friends that do 100+ rep sets, but they are into rock climbing and such and use this as lactic acid threshold training

bdog7583 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARMY_OF_1 View Post
    Thanks for the valuable insight bdog.....

the weight is very low and achieves a serious pump... this method is not anymore "dangerous" than many other types of training. Looking for experience in this type of workout, not random interjections and unfounded thoughts.
    No problem.

I am not sure I could do 100 reps.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    good post ...

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    The only thing I ever really do 100 reps on is, at the end of a chest workout, sometimes, I just flat bench with the bar, and shoot for 100 reps.

lol, its a lot harder than you think, and I get a sick pump.

I don't do it everytime, but it is fun every now and then

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    20-30 is high rep in my book, sets of 100 are borderline cardio.
    i.e. increased mitochondrial activity, and increased substrate utilization?

Personally i see no issues with mixing it up... particularly for someone trying to bust through a fat-loss plateau.

Everybody part in a week however... that's a stretch.

Particularly if you're preceding said set(s) with heavy multijoint work.

Remember... the body's recuperative and adaptive abilities, while impressive, aren't infinite.

You will be logging a recuperative deficit.

So be cognizant of that in your application of such a technique.

-CNS

As always your posts are very informative Nark.

Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    i.e. increased mitochondrial activity, and increased substrate utilization?

Personally i see no issues with mixing it up... particularly for someone trying to bust through a fat-loss plateau.

Everybody part in a week however... that's a stretch.

Particularly if you're preceding said set(s) with heavy multijoint work.

Remember... the body's recuperative and adaptive abilities, while impressive, aren't infinite.

You will be logging a recuperative deficit.

So be cognizant of that in your application of such a technique.

-CNS
    This brings up some interesting thoughts, could the same effect be acheived by taking short (30 seconds) rest between sets for a bodypart? Also,what would be the difference between doing a set of 90 reps at 2 seconds per rep or as Kale said doing a slow set of 30 reps at 6 seconds per. The "Time under Tension" would be the same under both scenarios but I have a feeling they would feel quite different. Neither sounds fun maybe someone can try each method and write a report???

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    This brings up some interesting thoughts, could the same effect be acheived by taking short (30 seconds) rest between sets for a bodypart? Also,what would be the difference between doing a set of 90 reps at 2 seconds per rep or as Kale said doing a slow set of 30 reps at 6 seconds per. The "Time under Tension" would be the same under both scenarios but I have a feeling they would feel quite different. Neither sounds fun maybe someone can try each method and write a report???
    Not me :P

My guinea pain (lol.. guinea pig) days are over

re: the same effect.

..No, it would be quite different.

TUT is just one factor... not the end-all and be-all.

It does not dictate the extent of the potential stimulatory effects of an action, or sequence of actions.

-CNS

i might give the TUT methods described above a try. i want to mix up my workout for a few weeks. Ill keep you posted

Thread Information