Difference between body builders and power lifters

What is the scientific difference between the muscles of a body builder and muscles of power/strength lifter? Those little gymnastic guys that have huge power to weight ratio have muscles that look hard as steel. Is there a differnece in the structure of the muscle between the two atheletes?

Joker111086 is offline Associate Member
    i think the only difference is power lifter is their body tone, basically it. body builder goes for lean muscle mass and toned appearance and power lifters dont focus on that and try to get as big and strong as possible

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    The biggest difference is diet cardio. Bodybuilders also directly train more of the smaller muscles and hit them from a variety angles. Powerlifters are more about leverage while bodybuilders are more about stretching and contracting the muscle. Bodybuilding is also about aesthetics and presenting symmetry and structure.

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    both dont drink while lifting either... smile

haha smart ass... but as far as my question goes i mean.. are the mitocondia in muscles larger in powerlifters or some shit? cos those gymnasts always look like they have extremely hard muscles. Is it cos they have developed larger type 11a muscles or wat?

calling out muscle science

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    they dont eat and they work out - that keeps the muscles toned and hard, not overly big, but very strong

look at wrestlers - they all have sick strong core bodies, legs, traps... pound for pound prob one of the strongest athletes in the sporting world. but they are not huge or even bulky... why? they work out alot and suck alot of weight... that keep them in shape, strong and not bulky

so, if you want to get big work out alot... and eat a lot - (of coarse both examples are more complicated but you get the gist)

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    what focus's on making the muscles bigger one works on making them stronger..

i.e. one is a focus of hypertrophy and the other trains their CNS.. body builders do a set every 1-3mins.. powerlifters sometimes take up to 5mins between sets.

here is a brief article i posted (did not write) a while ago that kinda descirbes it/.
    Training for maximum Strength gains or Muscle gains

yasha is offline New Member
    the workout is part of it, but the gear they use plays a role in it also.

Thread Information