Burden is offline Junior Member

Question about going heavy

Ok so basically over the last two months or so i've changed my style of training to powerlifting and every exercise i do pretty much is done with full intensity. My goal is to get about another 20lbs of muscle under my belt. I've read several times that playing with big weights and lifting big is what gets you huge and allows good muscle growth because the body has to grow due to the heavy demand., then i'll read something in a bodybuilding book or magazine that contradicts what i've been reading saying for example " once your after powerlifting for a while you should go back to bodybuilding and (lighten the load a bit and up the reps.) Basically i'm confused on whether i should be continuing to lift heavy with my powerlifting or too change it up and go back to bodybuilding style of training as in a bit lighter and more reps. For extra information i usually do 6-8 reps and 4 sets at pretty hard intensity now. Thanks for any input guys, it will be much appreciated.

Andro9 is offline Member
    the 6-10 rep range will cause the most muscle hypertrophy.. by far. but you must vary in reps, weights, and even the speeds of the exercise for get as many elements of your muscle to adapt for maximum size increases.

Andro9 is offline Member
    btw dont go over the 15-16 rep range. after that your muscles will start to adapt more for endurance and as we all know it does not need to build muscle for endurance. hope this helps

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Check out a 5x5 or 3x3 routine for powerlifting. I'm using the routine Andy Bolton posted in the PL forum, at the moment. Working out pretty well.

Also, when powerlifitng, you have to EAT EAT EAT. You will not grow if you don't eat.

Thread Information