run_n_fool is offline Associate Member

AM Empty Stomach Running?

Thoughts on this? I am thinking jogging/running in the AM on an empty stomach for 30 minutes might risk burning up some muscle.

Anyone with any study results?

seriousmass is offline Banned
    it's an effective way to burn calories.

just type empty-stomach cardio into google, there are plenty of studies.

i do it every morning when I'm not bulking.

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    There's plenty of studies out there, I know it works for me. Take some amino acid before and you'll be fine.

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I wouldn't do it. If I'm going to do high intensity cardio in the A.M I have two scoops of whey mixed with water first. I used to do it on a bare empty stomach and I feel I may have lost a little muscle that way. Trial and error for me.

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    ^^ I don't think he meant high intensity. I agree though. I keep my heartrate in the fat burning zone in the morning, no higher.

gettingBIGGERfast is offline Associate Member
    I dont see why people are so worried about losing muscle. How much could you really loose? Why would your body not replace it? For some reason, does cardio require calories but somehow deceives your body into not wanting to repair itself?

I could see not wanting to do fasted cardio from a performance stand point.... but really. Unless you are really busting balls, frequently, and for long periods while fasted, I don't see the harm. And even in that case, I'm not really convinced you would necessarily be worse off than when you started anyways.

The human body is not the frail pathetic thing that will just wither away if you forget to eat breakfast before you morning jog.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hankdiesel View Post
    I wouldn't do it. If I'm going to do high intensity cardio in the A.M I have two scoops of whey mixed with water first. I used to do it on a bare empty stomach and I feel I may have lost a little muscle that way. Trial and error for me.
    FYI, you need a protein/carb meal before and prior to an intense HIIT cardio session, otherwise you will certainly be burning some muscle along with the fat! Treat HIIT cardio like a workout in nutritional terms.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    i stopped doing cardio on an empty stomach and dont notice any diff. i also find i can get similiar results doing 20-30mins pwo.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    FYI, you need a protein/carb meal before and prior to an intense HIIT cardio session, otherwise you will certainly be burning some muscle along with the fat! Treat HIIT cardio like a workout in nutritional terms.
    I have read the same thing.

british bulldog 1 is offline Associate Member
    no difference

have a protein shake and a bananna and you'll b fine

So two scoops of whey does nothing?

So two scoops of whey does nothing?
    Well I wouldn't say nothing because the BCAA's in the whey will def help but why not throw in some oats to ensure you are staying anticatabolic? Would you lift weights without consuming carbs before and after a workout? The same applies to an intense HIIT cardio session.

Well I wouldn't say nothing because the BCAA's in the whey will def help but why not throw in some oats to ensure you are staying anticatabolic? Would you lift weights without consuming carbs before and after a workout? The same applies to an intense HIIT cardio session.
    Ya, I guess mine would be considered moderate intensity.

HOLLYWOOD.JACK is offline Associate Member
    If you're worried about it burning muscle during morning workouts just drink BCAA's (Branch Chain Amino Acids) like XTEND .. it'll stop the muscle breakdown.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    i see a couple options to keep you from going catabolic with empty stomach cardio, btw i use both of these in conjunction and they work very well..

1) if you can, order some bulk glutamine (around 15-20$ for 500g) and take around 5-10g before cardio, this will give your body a large amount of glutamine to use to replenish it's amino acid pool. The reason this is important is because when your body enters a catabolic state it breaks down muscle tissue into it's constitute amino acids and transports those to your liver where they are broken down into alanine and converted into glycogen via gluconeogenesis. But this can be avoided by providing your body with either protein for it to break down into amino acids or the aminos themselves. Btw, glutamine makes up about 60% of the aminos in muscle tissue and therefore is the most used amino during gluconeogenesis, that's why i recommend it.

2) Drink a whey protein shake before cardio (i prefer whey for this because whey is a fast acting protein so the aminos in it are digested within 45 minutes), this will supply your body with the aminos it needs and will spare your muscle from being burned for energy, and if your wondering if it will be counter-productive to drink a shake because the protein will be used and you won't be burning fat, don't worry, it won't unless your training with high enough intensity for it to be used to fuel gluconeogenesis, cool huh, lol. Btw, most protein shakes are infused with amino acids, just look on the jug and you'll see a list of the aminos in it, so you're getting glutamine from it.

i normally will drink a small shake (about 20g of protein), made with water and add glutamine and caffeine(if you didn't know, caffeine increases fat-oxidation, lowers perception of workout intensity, and spares muscle glycogen, making it a perfect companion during cardio), this combination increases my ability to perform cardio in both duration and intensity and gives me peace of mind knowing that my muscle has very little chance of being tapped into for energy.

Ya, I guess mine would be considered moderate intensity.
    Well I would still throw in some carbs but the only way to really tell how your body is going to react is trial and error.

Thread Information