View Poll Results: How much do you hate random advice from random people during your workout?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like getting advice from people i hardly know during my workout. So check your rage!

2 5.56%
  • I could care less. Let this guy talk if he wants. Don't matter to me either way.

7 19.44%
  • Your right. These people need to leave me the F*** alone!

22 61.11%
  • Your right. I'll also never be able to carry a gun because of people like this.

5 13.89%
    StritationOrBust is offline Associate Member

The GUY at the gym! Semi-rant

I'm in the middle of my workout. And I THROUGH myself into my workouts.

I'm sure you've all had experience with THE GUY who comes over when your at the end of a set and says something like....."hey, you know a really good exercise for "insert random bodypart that you are exercising" is "insert gimicky exercise."

DUDE.... do I look like i need your ****ing help?? Why are you bothering me while i'm crushing this routine?? I got a pump going here and your ****ing up my mojo with your stupid ass advice on how i should be doing tricep burnouts on a decline bench by doing really fast skull crushers to burnout and then superset it by immediatly pressing the weight till burnout.

This is why i'll never let myself carry a gun.

Maybe i'm being way too hard on this guy (and no i'm not on cycle). So lets take a poll and find out.

So how much do you hate this guy and his retarted ilk that are in every gym?!?!.....

oops wrong section
    Last edited by StritationOrBust; 03-13-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: ugh i posted this in the wrong section

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    yeah, i'm that guy

jnewton86 is offline Member
    its an interesting topic. im the same way with my wkouts, leave me alone, no talking, no bs. I see big ass dudes though between sets watchin tv and talkin n shit, i dont understand how they can do it and remain focused, i feel it completely draws away from training

Quote Originally Posted by jnewton86 View Post
    its an interesting topic. im the same way with my wkouts, leave me alone, no talking, no bs. I see big ass dudes though between sets watchin tv and talkin n shit, i dont understand how they can do it and remain focused, i feel it completely draws away from training
    i agree, and i talk and such between sets if some of my friends are there, but i time myself between sets and my friends know that, so when i'm about 20-30 seconds away from starting my next set i just say so, then close my eyes, tap into the music and focus on my set, rinse and repeat

gymnerd is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I hear ya that can get aggravating but I dont let it bother me too much. I just wait till they turn around and then I slug them with a 100lb dumbell.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Head phones in, hat down low, no eye contact, no one approaches you.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    the problem with that for me is that my hair color changes every 2-3 weeks(i get paid to test out colors), a few days ago it was blue streaked, not it's jet black with blood red and violet tips, so people see me coming a mile away

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't work for me because I am a trainer at our gym.

I was standing on the cybex pullup machine one evening during peak hours and there was 9 people waiting in line to ask me training/diet questions. I answered them between sets. I kept working out when it was time to do a set. Some may think that's rude of me but that is my time! For the most part, I cannot even walk across the gym without being approached. Flattering at first but a bit stressful at times. I try to make myself approachable but it can get a bit stressfull at times. I try to train when the gym is slow and stay low key. I will have to say I have some great friends I enjoy talking with between sets when they approach me. My wife and I train together and she keeps going as well. I taught her well..lol

Indymuscleguy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    It doesn't work for me because I am a trainer at our gym.

I was standing on the cybex pullup machine one evening during peak hours and there was 9 people waiting in line to ask me training/diet questions. I answered them between sets. I kept working out when it was time to do a set. Some may think that's rude of me but that is my time! For the most part, I cannot even walk across the gym without being approached. Flattering at first but a bit stressful at times. I try to make myself approachable but it can get a bit stressfull at times. I try to train when the gym is slow and stay low key. I will have to say I have some great friends I enjoy talking with between sets when they approach me. My wife and I train together and she keeps going as well. I taught her well..lol
    I totally understand in your case, it would be stressful and take away your entire workout. However, it AMAZES me that some of you are so stuck on yourselves. At some point, you were the guy who asked someone about a particular routine or piece of advice.

I was once one of the skinny guys who joined multiple gyms b/c I was intimidated by the attitudes in the free weight area. I give advice and accept constructive criticism in a humble manner. Step up guys and give a hand to the little guys just learning. Are you really that stuck on yourself and that selfish?

Guess I am in a pissed off mood today, but this post made me mad!

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    There we go

I get approached as well for questions, like I know anything anyway but i just tell them straight up what I am here for and how my training intensity has to be etc etc.... and continue.....

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I wonder how much of this has to do with what gym you are in. I have been in some hardcore places where gym etiquette was well established and this didnt happen often.

The_Dark is offline Associate Member
    Thank God when i workout in the gym nobody had ever approach me instead they would give way and call me "sir"! These people know how hard i work as well as i look in the gym! lol

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    I think talking is ok if its appropriate. I might ask somebody to check my form, give a spot, advice, etc. but I keep it brief and look for the right time to do it. Between compound exercises usually.

What I cannot stand is people who want to discuss relationship issues. Wait till I'm finished for that crap!

Another tip, if you have big arms don't wear a cut off shirt. I get twice as many people asking for advice when I do that.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    I always try to look as angry as possible when working out so people don't bother me. It works. Only women/girls say something once in a while, which doesn't bother me at all

My younger brother is one of these people that likes to walk around the gym and talk to every one, including people he doesnt know. He spends like 3 hours at the gym doing God knows what.

But yeah...fk advice givers. If I wanted your advice, I'd ask for it.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Why is it that the people giving advice are the ones that look like mere mortals?
    I see plenty of big lads in the gym, and they don't go around telling people what they should do. I've been asked advice before, which I don't mind as long as im not in the middle of a set...but yeah, it's kinda funny when some skinny dude comes over to give me "tips".

BIG_TRUCK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    the problem with that for me is that my hair color changes every 2-3 weeks(i get paid to test out colors), a few days ago it was blue streaked, not it's jet black with blood red and violet tips, so people see me coming a mile away
    that is the gayest job I have ever heard. You should slap urself.

MMArmour is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Another constructive post from truck.

arent you tired of eating bucket loads of shit from all the people who hate youre stupid fat gyno ridden ass?

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG_TRUCK View Post

it's not a job, and unlike you i'm sure, i actually like to look presentable in public so i don't mind your criticisms as from everything i've read from you you don't have much education past 2nd grade and probably will never amount to much in life

i pity you

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    it's not a job, and unlike you i'm sure, i actually like to look presentable in public so i don't mind your criticisms as from everything i've read from you you don't have much education past 2nd grade and probably will never amount to much in life

i pity you

Whatever you say pink highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by big_truck View Post
    whatever you say pink highlights.
    lmao

Quote Originally Posted by MMArmour View Post
    Another constructive post from truck.

arent you tired of eating bucket loads of shit from all the people who hate youre stupid fat gyno ridden ass?

Taking up for your multi colored hair girlfriend how cute.

You still think I'm the person in that pic with a 1000lb deadlift.

You really are retarded lol.

Andro9 is offline Member
    ahahaaa sorry that made me laugh

reardbandit is offline Associate Member
    If you go to a public gym and you're a big fella, you gotta kinda expect that. I don't mind it too much as long as it is an appropriate time, not in between my sets, or while I am in the middle of a set. I am also a PT though, so I can get paid to answer those questions. However that isn't my full time job.

I quit going to public gyms, started going to smaller more hardcore gyms, then ended building my own gym in my garage.

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Rarely am I given advice, but sometimes I try to offer some. One time that stands out to me was a time I seen a guy doing the hack squat wrong. He has his feet all the way at the bottom. His knees were extending about a foot in front of feet. At the top of the rep he was up on the balls of his feet. It was painful to watch. I politely gave him a suggestion after his set and he got very defensive. Later he came up to me and told me, "don't ever interrupt my workout again." I of coarse got angry back. I explained to him I'm a trainer at the gym and I was only trying to help. He went to the front desk and tried to get me in trouble. I have good rapport there so it didn't work.
    The moral of the story is watch what you say to members of the gym. Sometimes the people who need the help the most are the ones who are reluctant to take it.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    that's funny hank, just brought to my attention a similar story with me.

This dude had dumbells on incline...he had the DB's at his hips and was having one heck of a time bringing them up because he is basically limiting his chest workout to the amount of weight he could curl. anyhow, after he twisted his body and got them up (was only like 55lbs), he finished his exercise. I was next to him and said, "hey bro, try putting those db's closer to your knee caps and kick up with your legs, it will be pretty easy"... dude got all hurt and kind of smurked at me... I just thought "wtf", I am trying to be a friend and help you.... I kind of felt akward and left it at that... I don't get it, I would have said thanks to someone who offered me a pointer. He didn't run his mouth or anything because I am not the type, but it is just silly to get too offended over nothing. I didn't get it.

reardbandit is offline Associate Member
    That's funny. Even he thought what you said was stupid, he coulda just said "ok thanks bro" and just ignored it later on. Ain't no reason to be a dick about it. I most often am asked questions when I am doing a ballistics or plyometric routine, just because it is so much different than what the average person thinks about when they think of weight training. Understandably, they have a lot of questions when they see a guy doing one handed pushups off a medicine ball on the floor lol

cgreen is offline New Member
    im lucky i suppose. i have a cousin who is "well off" a.k.a. more money than he knows what to do with. he built me and my buds a gym. usually only four of us work out so its nice! ahhh family love

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?

That literally made me laugh out loud.

Ditto. Of course this is eventually lead to the awkward (for the other guy) moment of when someone wants to ask if youre done with those weights, or the "Are you done with these? No? Ok bro sorry to bother you, ill just go stand over here and wait quietly till youre done."

Lol.

btw, still laughing at BIG TRUCK'S comment. Sorry Phate, i love you bro, but that was funnier than SHlT

Quote Originally Posted by WARMachine View Post

That literally made me laugh out loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by WARMachine View Post
    Lol.

btw, still laughing at BIG TRUCK'S comment. Sorry Phate, i love you bro, but that was funnier than SHlT

Better stop guys, phate might cry and mess up his make up.

Remember it's not work, it's a choice he said.... lol

Better stop guys, phate might cry and mess up his make up.

Remember it's not work, it's a choice he said.... lol
    too late lol

lmao

UncleTim is offline Junior Member
    If you see someone make eye contact then start heading your way, bust a mean ass protein fart. They should get the hint.

green22 is offline Senior Member
    It doesnt bother me. They can talk and Ill keep doing my thing. I just say "Im listening" and start my set. Now granted this isnt a set of big compound movements, but noone does that. only seems to happen when Im using machines with lighter weights. I also take it as a compliment cause they look at my physique and strength and know I know what Im doing when it comes to training and diet.

RomanR is offline New Member
    There is one guy in my gym he is in his mid 60s.
    He comes up to me and just stares at me working out I just keep on going.
    Then he tells me the same thing everyday : EAT,EAT,EAT and have a banana in the car.
    After I go to the next exercise he shows up again and starts talking to me and my spotter about his mail order girlfriends (which are scamming him 100%).
    Ones he got the camera and started taking pictures of me .. I just ddnt know what to do ..
    I looked away of course and told him that it wasnt a good idea..
    Then he was taking pictures of himself in the bathroom and the management told him off .
    He seems like a stupid old man ..I just feel pity for him.
    Last edited by RomanR; 03-24-2009 at 02:42 PM.

kickinit is offline Member
    Im usually in the zone, so I wouldnt hear them even if they did talk. Alot of times its not even a guy in that good of shape, but usually a grunter thats also a talker.

Im with SHUT THE F UP, this is my time in the gym if you dont like it go talk to the wall, you will get the same response I will give ya.

When I get that its always someone smaller and don't know what the fuk they are talking about lol.

Thread Information