J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member

Weight training & Heart Rate

I use to never really track my heart rate.

I'd run, 6.8mph about 8.5 minute miles for 45 minutes for cardio.

I recently had some good gains, and don't want to loose them though. So I'm trying to keep my heart rate in the 130's/140's for cardio.

I've found though, that my heart rate when just lifting, stays in the 140's.....

Other than more time in my target heart rate....by adding cardio.....are the benifits of light cardio in terms of fat burning...really better than lifting?

When I'm in the 140's doing cardio, it's boring, a very slow jog. I'd rather lift for an extra 45 minutes a day. Keeping my heart rate that low, I'm not really doing much for my cardiovascular system anyway.

Any advice or experience appreciated!

Oh currently 222lbs, 6' tall, 13%bf

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    In theory you would burn the same amount of calories but I would not suggest it. 90 minutes of weights is just asking for overtrainging to set in. I did the same experiment on myself and never went below 150 and was up to 195 bpm during my 4 sets of deadlifts.

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    i have the same problem. during lifting with normal rests between sets and exercises. my heart rate is well into the high 130s - low 140's

then if i do cardio after lifting. i basically have to walk to keep my heart rate there. if i even jog lightly im pushin my heart rate in the 150's

so i have to walk fast. lol. it sucks. its boring. but its burning fat.

Thread Information