Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member

How bad is running?

Lately, I have been running about a mile PWO around the track. I am currently cutting right now. At night, I'll go back and hit some low intensity cardio (Treadmill- 15% Incline, 3MPH, for 30 minutes). My diet is on point with carb cycling and keeping the protein high enough. I am not on cycle yet, but do you guys think that this plan is pretty anticatabolic?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Maybe if you ran a marathon, running will not eat muscle mass unless your running excessively or are in an extreme caloric deficient state.

Cool...thats pretty much what I was thinking, thanks.

countrybhoy is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musclescience View Post
    maybe if you ran a marathon, running will not eat muscle mass unless your running excessively or are in an extreme caloric deficient state.

after 20 mins running at 7 mph you start eating into muscle m8 . Ive ran for years and had to really cut back when i started weights as the gains were being burnt off with the running .
    Last edited by countrybhoy; 03-25-2009 at 11:20 AM.

reardbandit is offline Associate Member
    I have a really hard time gaining weight, so when I am bulking I dont run at all. It really depends on the person as much as the workout routine

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    Lately, I have been running about a mile PWO around the track. I am currently cutting right now. At night, I'll go back and hit some low intensity cardio (Treadmill- 15% Incline, 3MPH, for 30 minutes). My diet is on point with carb cycling and keeping the protein high enough. I am not on cycle yet, but do you guys think that this plan is pretty anticatabolic?
    finally I get to give you some advice considering all of the tips you have given me in the past, lol. For me, I have been doing 30 min on treadmill at 10 degree incline at 3.5 mph keeping my hr between 120 and 130 pwo. Since Jan I have lost 10 lbs. Starting March I switched to the eliptical and followed the same concept by keeping my hr in the same spot. Strangely, I feel like I am more leaner doing the treadmill. Go figure. Anyways I just switched back last week and feel better!

If you like to run go for it, I don't think it is going to eat too much muscle if unless you go overboard. But if you are getting jacked and stacked, I don't think your build would be very suitable for it, and I would go for a lower impact option.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by countrybhoy View Post
    after 20 mins running at 7 mph you start eating into muscle m8 . Ive ran for years and had to really cut back when i started weights as the gains were being burnt off with the running .
    Nope, Only 4% of energy production during exercise is from the use of protein. I have been doing metabolic studies on runners for years, one of the biggest exercise myths alive.

Cool. thanks for the responses.

Thread Information