Thread: Neck training

Aaron-the-pitbull is offline Junior Member

Neck training

After watching Mike Tyson train his neck on youtube i thought to myself i really must train this muscle, but how is it done?

I myself do alot of boxing and would like a stronger neck to absorb the impact. What i thougt of doing was like a sit up but insted of lifting my upper body i just lift my neck up and down, will this be okay? I mean, i wont damage anything will i by doing this?

Also any of you guys got any other ways to train the neck to streangthen and widen it up?

Some gyms have a neck machine that you can use. They have head harnesses to which I don't really like. You can also do neck bridges, which consist of you putting your head on a mat arching your back and supporting your weight with your head and rotating.

reardbandit is offline Associate Member
    I bought a neck harness from EliteFTS.com. I also do a lot of boxing/mma/whatever is a good excuse to fight somebody. Although there is no concrete data to support it, legend has it that a big fat strong neck will help absorb impacts from clean hits, allowing you to escape knockouts.

Try the neck harness at EliteFTS. You could also go to bodybuilding.com, I think they have a section on neck training. There are partner assisted neck resistance exercises with a towel, placing plates on your forehead and basically doing "neck sit ups" off the end of a bench, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by reardbandit View Post
    I bought a neck harness from EliteFTS.com. I also do a lot of boxing/mma/whatever is a good excuse to fight somebody. Although there is no concrete data to support it, legend has it that a big fat strong neck will help absorb impacts from clean hits, allowing you to escape knockouts.

Try the neck harness at EliteFTS. You could also go to bodybuilding.com, I think they have a section on neck training. There are partner assisted neck resistance exercises with a towel, placing plates on your forehead and basically doing "neck sit ups" off the end of a bench, etc.
    Been looking for the section you speak of in bodybuilding.com but i couldn't find it, could you direct me abit better?

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    i like the dizzy feeling i get when someone gets me clean on the chin... i fight amature mma myself... great stuff.. what a head change

Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    i like the dizzy feeling i get when someone gets me clean on the chin... i fight amature mma myself... great stuff.. what a head change
    do you train your neck in streangth and size?

jfalco is offline Member
    In pee-wee football they used to have someone hole your head while you pushed foreward as hard as you could with your neck. I was only 12, but I remember hating it.

0tolerance is offline Associate Member
    u can use the hamstring curl machines... put your neck where ur legs would go..

reardbandit is offline Associate Member
    Go to bodybuilding.com, then go down on the left side until you see the tab that says 'exercises.' Click on that tab, then just find the 'neck' tab on the model, and it should take you to some good neck exercises. A lot of boxing and mma websites have them on there too, may want to check them out as well. The jury is still out for me on neck training. It looks neat, but I just try to avoid taking hard shots to the head as much as possible.

Thread Information