Thread: Exercise 101

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer

Exercise 101

enjoy, hope it helps!
    Last edited by eatrainrest; 06-25-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Hunter-S-Thompson is offline Senior Member
    good read thanks for the info

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Good read overall, however there are a few things you need to fact check a little more in-depth.

vpchill is offline "Born to lose, Dying to win"
    Good one. My Only issue is the One week off. If I take off more than 3 days I feel weak. (Maybe its mental)

definately mental, body defiantely needs rest IMO, coming off a soild 4-6 week routine taking a week off to ensure the body heals properly is defiantely not a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Good read overall, however there are a few things you need to fact check a little more in-depth.

sure what did you feel to be a little off, i would liek to know myself if i posted something misleading lol

SSGBlack is offline New Member
    thanks for sharing the info man, i bookmarked it!

no problem, feel free to ask questions in this forum ill be glad to dish out some advice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    sure what did you feel to be a little off, i would liek to know myself if i posted something misleading lol
    I will quote and highlight. Nothing major really just some of the stuff is not technically how some stuff is taught or is current theory and stuff like that.
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 04-23-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    this is information i have compiled through experience and training (as a personal trainer), and throwing it out there for anyone interested in learning how to excell in their exercise programs.

-CROSS TRAINING-overall fitness

-3 modes 4-6 weeks each

cardio*increase intensity every 2 weeks[/B]

(1) Low intensity/long duration-60-65% HR
    (2) Alternating high and low intensities 5-10 min high 5-10 low
    (3) Short recovery between bursts of maximum intensity-1.5-3 MINUTE to near failure (no more than 5 min rest)

LOW=60-65%
    HIGH=80%
    *always once a week include low intensity cardio

FLEXIBILITY

-STRETCH FOR 15-30 SECONDS TO INCREASE FLEXIBLITY Stretching prior to resistance exercise has been shown to be counter productive as it is associated with decrease in force generation (length tension relationship, resetting of gamma motor inhibition (muscle spindles, GTO)

WORKOUT ROUTINES AND EXAMPLES

*SWITCH ACCORDINLGLY USUALLY 3-6 WEEKS (DEPENDING IF GOALS STOP AND BODY ADAPTS) NSCA, ACSM, and ASEP recommend for the average exerciser to change routines every 10-12 weeks to benefit to full physiological adaptations. Elite athletes can change are more on the 8-10 week realm especially if they are a part of a periodization program

*REP RANGES

4-6 REPS= FOR WHITE TWITCH FIBERS STRENGTH/SIZE
    8-12-MASS/SIZE
    12-15 REPS=FOR RED FAST TWITCH FIBERS STAMINA
    20-25=CIRCUIT FOR RED SLOW TWITCH FIBERS * THROW IN EVERY BLUE MOON

Rep range and differences in adaption is now subject to fierce debate. Although it is still taught classically in exercise physiology class. Newer text book addition are amending these rep range suggestions slightly. Also type two A is not typically described as a red fiber. It is more correct to call it a fast glycolytic fiber. Of course with training the myoglobin of this fiber can be expressed higher and give it a more red appearance relative to type IIb

REST

AFTER A ROUTINE OF 3-6 WEEKS, TAKE 1 WEEK OFF COMPLETELY!

4 DAY SPLIT

Example 1-

M-off
    T-Back, Hams, Calves
    W-Delts, Tris, Abs/core circuit
    R-off
    F-Quads, Glutes, calves
    Sat-chest, biceps/core circuit
    Sun-off

-EXAMPLE 2

Mon-CHEST/BIS/FOREARMS/CORE CIRCUIT
    Tues-LEGS/CALVES/TRAPS
    Wed-off
    Thurs-SHOULDERS/TRICEPS
    Fri- BACK/CALVES/CORE CIRCUIT
    Sat-off

3 DAY SPLIT AND/OR ANTAGONISTIC (supersetting a set of chest with back for example, and breaking about double the time as you would on 1 set, great for removal of lactic acid, more intense workout, oxygen flow, and time saving
    Be very careful when you describe lactic acid (lactate) removal. It implies that Lactate pools in the muscle tissue. While it is true that short tern pain is associated with Lactate in high concentrations and more specifically the disassociation of Hydrogen atoms causing and acidic environment to slow the atp generating and cross bridge forming capabilities of the contractile proteins. As soon as the hydrogen atoms are pumped out of the cell and the associated lactate that basically follows it. For all intents and purposes. The acid if you will is neutralized as soon as it hit the blood via mainly the bicarbonate buffers in the blood.

DAY 1- CHEST/BACK
    DAY 2-SHOULDERS/BIS/TRIS/CORE CIRCUIT
    DAY 3-LEGS/CALVES/TRAPS

OR

MON-CHEST/BACK
    TUES-SHOULDERS/BIS/TRIS/CORE CIRCUIT
    WED-LEGS/CALVES/TRAPS
    R-OFF
    FRI-CHEST/BACK/CORE CIRCUIT
    SAT-SHOULDERS/TRIS/TRAPS/CORE CIRCUIT

3 DAY/WEEK WORKOUT ROUTINE

MON-CHEST/BACK/CORE CIRCUIT
    TUES-OFF/CARDIO
    WED-LEGS/CALVES/TRAPS/CORE CIRC UIT
    THURS-OFF/CARDIO
    FRI-SHOULDERS/BIS/TRIS/CALVES/ CORE CIRCUIT
    SAT-OFF/CARDIO
    SUN-OFF

2 DAY SPLIT ROUTINE

DAY 1-BACK/CHEST/BIS/TRIS
    DAY 2-SHOULDERS/LEGS/TRAPS

1 WEEK BALLISTIC AND POWER TRAINING*only for a week between regular workout sessions due to the risk of injury, ballistic exercises are not ideal for size and strength but can help with your power

M-POWER CLEANS, SQUAT PRESSES WITH XLB PLATE, SQUAT JUMPS
    T-OFF
    W-HANG CLEAN PRESSES, SQUAT PRESSES WITH XLB PLATE, SQUAT JUMPS
    R-OFF
    F- POWER CLEANS, SQUAT PRESSES WITH XLB PLATE, SQUAT JUMPS
    S-OFF
    SU-OFF

If your going to introduce power exercise like this doing them once in a month for example could actually increase the risk of injury. As the body is not adapted to cope with this new type of stimulus. It is better to incorporate power movements regularly so that the body is able to adapt to the unique stresses these types of movements demand on the soft tissue structures.

****FROM ENTERING THE GYM TO LEAVING****

-WARMUP 5-10 MIN

example of dynamic warmup-

10 MINUTE DYNAMIC WARMUP (2x)
    -Toe touches -rotating kicks
    -quad stretches -karaoke
    -Butt kicks -lunges/reverse lunges
    -High Knees -Wood chopping

Agility ladder (2x)

-every other box -2 foot hop
    -every box -left foot hop
    -2 feet in each box -right foot hop
    -type writers

Cardio oriented Agilities (6-12 sets of 2-3 exercises x 20 reps) for high intense cardio

-4 corners -shuffle <-> on my demand
    -suicides -squat jumps/with ball
    -jog/sprints -Hills
    -build up sprints -squat jumps
    -fire hydrants

STRETCH-EVERY MUSCLE TO BE WORKED OUT 15-30 SECONDS to increase flexibility

Again stretching after is far more effective than stretching before. There is virtually no supportive evidence that pre-workout or competition stretching is effective at injury prevention and can actually hinder exercise performance

NOW THE WORKOUT 1.5 hours empty stomach
    Resistance training should never be attempted in a fasting state.
    30-90 MINUTES RESISTANCE TRAINING APPROPRIATELY CHOOSE THE
    WORKOUT FOR GOALS

POST WORKOUT STRETCH

CARDIO 20-30 minutes, reason for this is because...

POST WORKOUT ACTIVITY AND FAT LOSS

ASIDE FROM EXCLUSIVE HIGH REP TRAINING WITH A HIGH RECOVERY HEART RATE FOR AEROBIC STIMULATION, THERE IS LITTLE FATTY ACID USE FOR ENERGY DURING THE RESISTANCE WORKOUT.

THE MAJORITY OF ENERGY USED DURING RESISTANCE EXERCISE COMES FROM GLUCOSE AND/OR STORED SUGAR (GLYOGEN) IN THE MUSCLES. HOWEVER, DURING RECOVERY IMMEDAITELY AFTER (AND BETWEEN) WORKOUTS, FATTY ACIDS PROVIDE A GREATER PROPORTION OF THE ENERGY REQUIRED BY THE MUSCLE TO FUNCTION DURING LESS INTENSE POST WORKOUT ACTIVITY WHILE IT TAKES UP NUTRIENTS SUCH AS BLOOD GLUCOSE AND AMINO ACIDS FOR CELLUAR REPAIRS, OR ANABOLISM. WITH THIS IN MIND, THE PERFORMANCE OF POST-WORKOUT LOW LEVEL ACTIVITY WILL REQUIRE YOUR FAT CELLS TO RELEASE GREATER AMOUNTS OF FATTY ACIDS;THAT WILL IN TURN BE USED BY THE MUSCLES WHILE THEY TAKE UP RECOVERY NUTRIENTS IN CARB RICH POST-WORKOUT MEALS. LOW LEVEL ACTIVITY CAN EFFECTIVELY BE MAINTAINED FOR PORLONGED PERIODS, AND FOR A SUGGESTED MINIMUM TIME PERIOD OF 5 TO TEN MINUTES AFTER YOUR RESISTANCE TRAINING WORKOUT.

CHOOSING A NEW ROUTINE RESISTANCE TRAINING AND CARDIO ROUTINE

(1) Set a goal
    (2) Evaluate current workout routines progress
    (3) Choose different exercises/techniques/splits to confuse muscle fibers
    (4) Stay at same sets per body part/rarely increase/even decrease if necessary
    (5) IMPLEMENT NEW WORKOUT AND CARDIO PLAN ACCORDING TO GOALS AND DOCUMENT FOR 3-6 WEEKS, OR UNTIL RESULTS TAPER

THINGS YOU SHOULD NOTE**

CARDIO ALONE

THE FACT IS THAT WHILE USING CARDIO ALONE, AND WHILE ON A STRICT DIET, YOUR MUSCLE WILL BE CANNABLIZED AND USED FOR ENERGY INSTEAD OF FAT SINCE THE BODY WILL DESIRE TO MAINTAIN FAT FOR SURVIVAL DURING THE EXISTING LOW CALORIE DIET.
    This may be true in a few instances, if your are training in a fasting state i can see this occur. However it takes less time to break down fats for energy usage than to convert proteins to aminos, aminos to pyruvate for gluconeogensis. Now I know not all aminos enter the process of gluconeogenesis at the same enzymatic steps. It takes a lot of time and energy expenditure to get the needed energy out of them. In fact only 4% of total energy production and expenditure is from proteins during exercise.
    RESISTANCE EXERCISE AND WEIGHT MANAGEMENT

WHEN THE MUSCLE TISSUES ENERGY STORES HAVE BEEN DEPLETED DURING RESISTANCE TRAINING EXERCISE, THE REPLACEMENT OF THESE STORES BECOME A PRIORITY TO THE BODY. DURING RECOVERY, WHILE ON PROPER DIET, EXTRAMUSCULAR FAT (TRIGLYCERIDES) WILL BE BROKEN DOWN FOR ENERGY AND A PORTION OF THAT FAT (GLYCEROL) WILL BE USED BY THE MUSCLE TISSUE TO HELP FILL THESE STORES BACK UP AGAIN, WHILE THE FATTY ACIDS FROM TRIGLCERIDE BREAKDOWN DURING RECOVERY FOR THE FUEEL NEEDED TO PERFORM THE REPLETION PROCESS. BASICALLY THEN, ON THE PROPER DIET, ADIPOSE TISSUES ARE DRAWN FROM TO REPLETE EXHAUSED MUSCLE STORES. THIS DECREASES THE FAT WEIGHT AND INCREASES THE MUSCLE WEIGHT. THE KEY TO RESISTANCE TRAINING EXERCISE, AND THIS FAT CONVERSION, IS TO PERFORM HIGH REP, LOW INTESNITY, LONG DUARTION, AND FREQUENT EXERCISE USING BASIC COMPOUND MOVEMENTS INVOLVING AS MUCH TISSUE AS POSSIBLE TO MAXIMIZE THE DEPLETION OF ENERGY, PROMOTING A GREATER RECOVERY FAT RELEASE DURING REPLETION.

SINCE YOU ARE ALWAYS PERFORMING RESISTANCE TRAINING EXERCISES, THE BODY IS CONVINCED NOT TO CANNABLIZE MUSCLE TISSUE FOR ENERGY BECAUSE IT IS BEING FORCED TO MAINTAIN MUSCLE TISSUE TO COMPLY WITH THE DEMAND TO MAINTAIN MUSCLE ACTIVITY.

AEORBICS

-AS AEROBIC INTENSITY IS INCREASED, A GROWING PERCENTAGE OF ENERGY COEMS FORM CARB SOURCES
    At high intensity levels of exercise energy expenditure is solely anaerobic and carb dependent and is helped by the conversion of lactate in the liver back to pyruvate. (cori cycle) This type of high intensity exercise can only be maintained for short periods. As someone exercise past their lactate threshold the body can no longer produce enough atp to continue to function at such a high intensity of exercise.

REP RANGES AND MUSCLE FIBERS

4-6 REPS-WHITE TWITCH (STENGTH AND SIZE)
    12-15-MAXIMIZES RED FAST TWITCH (STAMINA)
    20-25-MAXIMIZES RED SLOW TWITCH (FAT BURNING)

NUMBER OF MEALS PER DAY

THE VALUE OF EATING MORE SMALL MEALS THROUGHOUT THE DAY INSTEAD OF FEWER LARGE MEALS, CANNOT BE OVERSTATED. YOU SEE, TO THE BODY, DIGESTION IS CONSIDERED WORK, AND THE MORE WORK YOU MAKE THE BODY DO THE MORE ENERGY IT EXPENDS EVEN DURING WEIGHT LOSS DIETING. EQUALLY, BREAK DOWN THE TOTAL CALORIES INTO THE SUGGESTED NUMBER OF MEALS AND ATTEMPT TO MAINTAIN THE SAME NUTRIENT PERCENTAGES IN ALL MEALS.

IN THE CASE OF LONG TERM INGESTION OF INFREQUENT LARGE MEALS, ESPECIALLY WHILE SEDENTARY; FOR SEVERAL HOURS OF EACH DAY THE BODY IS LITERALLY DOING NOTHING SIGNIFICANT AND METABOLISM SLOWS BECAUSE IT IS BEING STARVED LONG TERM. WHEN CARLORIES ARE INTRODUCED, THE BODY (IN A SURVIVAL MODE) THINKS ITS STARVING AND WILL STORE THESE CALORIES AS FAT AND NOT USE THEM FOR BODY PROCESSES. REVERSELY, IN THE CASE OF EATING FREQUENT SMALLER MEALS THROUGHOUT THE DAY, THE BODY DOES NOT THINK IT IS STARVING AND WILL RELEASE ITS FAT AROUND THE CLOCK FOR BODY FUNCTIONS, ALSO WORKING AT THE SAME TIME TO DIGEST FOOD THAT WILL ASSIST IN INCREASING METABOLISM AS WELL.

enjoy, hope it helps!
    Just some fill in details, not trying to step on your toes. But this is what I do/did for a living...
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 04-23-2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: yellow was to hard to read

Just some fill in details, not trying to step on your toes. But this is what I do/did for a living...
    stepping on my toes?? not at all bro theres always more to learn and two brains are better than one, dont got thin skin bro.. good stuff, ill fool around with some things and see how they work

agreed, this is the problem with muscle cannabalism and people running 4 miles a day cant understand why there losing muscle =(
    Last edited by eatrainrest; 06-25-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    in regards to a few posts, i find that between 1-1.5 hours empty stomach has had good results because the body had digested the food and energy levels are not lowered (when digestion occurs, the body breaks it down using energy), hence why you can feel tired after a big meal. i use a pro/carb meal and have it digest and hit up a workout, and by the time i do my fat burning cardio, im on an empty stomach and the stored muscle glycogen has been depleted. Immediately before ill take 10g BCAA and bang out fat burning cardio for a period of 20-30 minutes followed be immediate PWO nutrition.

as far as changing up routines, i was taught the body can adapt to strength routines sometimes 2-3 weeks. obviously alot depends on the diet, but my theory anyway is if its not broke dont fix it. therefore, if gains are not increasing the body may have adapted earlier than you thought (in the case before the 8-12 weeks that you say).

rep ranges, those are standardized rep ranges taught by NFPT (nationally certified organization NCCA regulated standards). they are "proven" to maximize those muscle fibers mentioned, white twitch, red fast, red slow.

you mentiion stretching to have negative effects in regards to pre workout. i have to disagree mostly because after an effective warmup, it allows more bloodflow and will allow the muscle to be fully stretched and prepared for a full contraction during resistance exercise (im a fan of pre-stretching, not saying that you should be an elastic band before but a simple 10-15 second stretch of the muscles you are going to work out that day is good. IMO

ballistic training overtime do result in more neuromuscular efficency resulting in increased power and speed overtime. however, they do little to increase muscle size, as mentioned thats why i recommend it once/2 times a month. i usually do them for a week as a transition phase when switchin up routines. (usually 3-6 weeks, or depending on when body adapts and gains are no long occuring. although, i can agree that the body is not used to these exercises and it may increase injury, i wouldnt say it will.

"At high intensity levels of exercise energy expenditure is solely anaerobic and carb dependent and is helped by the conversion of lactate in the liver back to pyruvate. (cori cycle) This type of high intensity exercise can only be maintained for short periods. As someone exercise past their lactate threshold the body can no longer produce enough atp to continue to function at such a high intensity of exercise"

agreed, this is the problem with muscle cannabalism and people running 4 miles a day cant understand why there losing muscle =(
    You can never say the P word in science....LOL

of course thats why i put it in quotes haha...

NathanSummers is offline Banned
    Nice read

Blog Entries
    of course thats why i put it in quotes haha...
    whats your educational background.?? if you dont mind me asking.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    i do agree stretching can sometimes have the opposite effect.
    Stretching usually is good used for cooling down.
    but what is a good warm up is actually doing that paticular exercise with light weight and going through the movement to warm up that muscle group i think would be more effective.

unergrad student
    Last edited by eatrainrest; 06-25-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    unergrad student, nfpt trainer certification for a couple years.
    ahh I see, I taught undergrad ex phys and Motor phys, when I was in grad school.

ahh I see, I taught undergrad ex phys and Motor phys, when I was in grad school.
    thats great news! matybe i can learn alot from you then!

Blog Entries
    thats great news! matybe i can learn alot from you then!
    Yeah for sure, I love talking exercise physiology. I also loved teaching, you need help with a class or something just hit me up. I have a Q&A thread on here in case you havent seen it.

yea, i havent seen it... send me the link il bookmark it and if anything comes up ill PM you for some clerification and what not

Dobie-BOY is offline Senior Member
    Good post my man, a good general "basics" of exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie-BOY View Post
    Good post my man, a good general "basics" of exercise.

thanks man, its a source and a general outline of when to change routine, ill probly end up changing/adding info by fooling around and learning new/different methods.

Thread Information