Choppers is offline Associate Member

Several workout questions?

How do I know when is long enough in the gym?

I've unfortunately had to train on my own through lack of suitable training partners and I have a couple of questions.

1.) How long, on average, does your average weights workout last?

2.) Are you lifting to failure on every occasion?

3.) How many different exercises per body part are you using per session assuming one major body part per day?

4.) How do you know when it is ready to up the weight? Do you start off reducing the number of sets/reps or wait until you can lift the higher weight at your standard number of sets&reps?

5.) How many people keep track of their weight lifting progress via a notebook and records?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Choppers View Post

I've unfortunately had to train on my own through lack of suitable training partners and I have a couple of questions.

1.) How long, on average, does your average weights workout last?40 minutes

2.) Are you lifting to failure on every occasion?Not every

3.) How many different exercises per body part are you using per session assuming one major body part per day?One

4.) How do you know when it is ready to up the weight? Do you start off reducing the number of sets/reps or wait until you can lift the higher weight at your standard number of sets&reps?When the reps are getting above the range I like to work in I add weight

5.) How many people keep track of their weight lifting progress via a notebook and records?I never have but some do

Cheers,
    One dudes opinion.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

Smile

1.) How long, on average, does your average weights workout last? 90 MINUTES RELOAD/45 MINUTES DELOAD...ALSO, I LIKE TRAINING ON A 4 DAY SPLIT

2.) Are you lifting to failure on every occasion? YES, BUT NOT TO THE POINT OF INJURY OR SOMEONE HAVING TO PULL THE BAR OFF ME.
    3.) How many different exercises per body part are you using per session assuming one major body part per day? 3

4.) How do you know when it is ready to up the weight? Do you start off reducing the number of sets/reps or wait until you can lift the higher weight at your standard number of sets&reps? I USUALLY WEIGHT UNTIL I CAN LIFT A HIGHER WEIGHT AT STANDARD NUMBER OR REPS BUT SOMETIMES START OFF HEAVIER IF I FEEL STRONG THAT DAY.
    5.) How many people keep track of their weight lifting progress via a notebook and records? I AM ABLE TO DO IT MENTALLYAny info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    A Second dudes opinion..lol...fireguy..

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer

1.) How long, on average, does your average weights workout last?
    45-60 minutes

2.) Are you lifting to failure on every occasion?
    no

3.) How many different exercises per body part are you using per session assuming one major body part per day?
    depends usually 3 set exercises

4.) How do you know when it is ready to up the weight? Do you start off reducing the number of sets/reps or wait until you can lift the higher weight at your standard number of sets&reps?
    using overlaod training principle in any 3 rep ranges. example in 4-6... once you get 6 reps max load the weight until you only get 4

5.) How many people keep track of their weight lifting progress via a notebook and records?

i log all my workouts to monitor progress

Cheers,
    a 3rd guys opinion, lol.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Ooops. I misread question 3. Put me down for 3-4.

ranging1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by choppers View Post
    how do i know when is long enough in the gym?

I've unfortunately had to train on my own through lack of suitable training partners and i have a couple of questions.

1.) how long, on average, does your average weights workout last? 1 hour

2.) are you lifting to failure on every occasion? yes like my testicles are on the line

3.) how many different exercises per body part are you using per session assuming one major body part per day?i do 3 bodyparts a session, 3 exercies per body part max
    4.) how do you know when it is ready to up the weight? Do you start off reducing the number of sets/reps or wait until you can lift the higher weight at your standard number of sets&reps? i know its time wen ive hit a rep range of 12-15 reps, if its legs 10-12 reps and ill up the weight, for arms its usally 12
    5.) how many people keep track of their weight lifting progress via a notebook and records? always, its god idea so everytime u workout u can make sure u lift that litll bit more
    any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    in bold

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    I agree with them...

collar is offline Anabolic Member

1.) How long, on average, does your average weights workout last? 40-50min

2.) Are you lifting to failure on every occasion? no but sometimes

3.) How many different exercises per body part are you using per session assuming one major body part per day? 1 or 2 body parts, about 3 exercises on each body part sometimes 2.

when you start passing the number of reps you want to achieve with ease, time to up the weight.

also it all depends what you are aiming for.

5.) How many people keep track of their weight lifting progress via a notebook and records? i dont

Cheers,
    in bold.

ninesecz is offline AR's Mass Monster
    Blog Entries
    45minuted to an hour per bodypart is more than enough! if you are adding cardio thn it does not matter but this is a good rule of thumb for weight training

Thread Information