gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

5x5 - New Routine, Starting Monday!!!

I hit a major plateau months ago and should have changed things up way back then. Better late then never. I am starting this on Monday, so I am just looking for any criticism, tweaking, help, etc. that you can offer.

I decided to go with a 5x5 routine after much research and speaking with members here on the board. I will run this routine for 6-8 weeks and see where things are at. Please note I am currently cutting and only getting about 2000 - 2100 calories per day, so I don't expect to see huge gains (if any) right now, but I need to be doing some routine and what i'm doing now is beyond stale.

Also note I have been training every body part twice a week for over a year which led to major overtraining - so in this routine pretty much everything is getting it's own day and being trained once a week - I need to go to the gym 5 days a week for certain reasons, so please keep that in mind when critiquing:

Monday: CHEST
    Flat Bench Press - 5x5
    Incline Bench Press - 5x5
    Incline Dumbell Fly's - 2x8
    Decline Dumbell Fly's - 2x8 (I know, you are probably going to tell me to drop this one! I just figured it wouldn't hurt since i'm only training once a week, and my lower chest is really lagging. If I have to drop it, I won't cry!

Tuesday: BACK
    Weighted Pull Ups - 5x5
    Chin Ups - 2x8
    Deadlift - 2x8
    1-arm dumbell row OR bent over barbell row - 5x5

Wednesday: LEGS
    Squats - 5x5
    Lunges - 2x8
    Hamstring Curls - 5x5
    Calf Raises - 3 sets to failure (increase sets here?)

Thursday: SHOULDERS
    Seated Military Press - 5x5 (barbell in front of head, down to top of chest)
    Seated Press (dumbell) - 2x8 (drop these?)
    Lateral Raises - 5x5
    (if I drop seated dumbell press, add dumbell front raises 2x8 here?)
    Rear Delt Fly's - 5x5

Friday: TRI'S, BI'S
    Close Grip Bench Press - 5x5
    Weighted Dips - 5x5
    Preacher Curls - 5x5
    Concentration Curls OR Incline Dumbell Curls - 5x5

Saturday and Sunday - REST

So I tried to make a split where everything is getting sufficient stimulation AND rest. Working chest on Monday will hopefully allow shoulders to rest enough to work directly on Thursday, and tri's enough to work directly on Friday.

Doing Back on Tuesday will hopefully allow bi's to rest enough to work directly on Friday.

So, let me know what you think! Again, I am starting this Monday, 5:30am SHARP, so I need to get this refined and nailed down ASAP!

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I thought 5x5 and 3x5 was a 3 day split where you only used big compound movements like powerlifting? This looks nothing like a 5x5 except for the fact you are using a 5x5 rep scheme if that makes sense. Am I wrong?? I know in the various training techniques this workout is posted as a 5x5 but idnt the traditiional 5x5 more of a powerlifitng routine?
    Last edited by Machdiesel; 01-02-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel View Post
    I thought 5x5 and 3x5 was a 3 day split where you only used big compound movements like powerlifting? This looks nothing like a 5x5 except for the fact you are using a 5x5 rep scheme if that makes sense. Am I wrong?? I know in the various training techniques this workout is posted as a 5x5 but idnt the traditiional 5x5 more of a powerlifitng routine?
    Well to an extent I did take the 5x5 principles and apply them to my own routine. However, I have seen many sample 5x5 routines that resembled this somewhat; they would basically do 5x5 on the larger compound movements, and a few sets here and there of 2x8 on isolation movements. I guess it's sort of a hybrid 5x5.

I'm looking for more help/criticism on the workout in general. Forget about associating it with a traditional 5x5 routine for a minute - in general, does it seem like a good, well rounded workout?

gcguiness is offline Junior Member
    Check out www.stronglifts.com, I have seen good results without any gear. I works if you stick to it, and go to failure with each workout.... Good luck

SHAMELESS BUMP! Guys, I REALLY need your help here! I want to waste as little time as possible doing things wrong, I don't have much time to spare with this summer being my goal.

I just want to know if the workout I have posted above is, in general, a good workout, a bad workout, etc. Pro's? Con's? Anything major missing?

Monday seems like alot, maybe make the incline bench a 2x8 also. For shoulders I wouldnt do lat raises 5x5. Thats not really a "big" movement where you should be doing low rep high weight work sets. Also always do your 5x5 exercises first. These should be your big compound movements where you want the most power. Once these are done move to the other extra 2x8 exercises.

Monday seems like alot, maybe make the incline bench a 2x8 also. For shoulders I wouldnt do lat raises 5x5. Thats not really a "big" movement where you should be doing low rep high weight work sets. Also always do your 5x5 exercises first. These should be your big compound movements where you want the most power. Once these are done move to the other extra 2x8 exercises.
    Understood, and thanks! So basically the principle is to keep all the larger compound movements at 5x5, and the supplementary exercises at 2x8 or so?

exactly, also in a 5x5 theres usually only 1 compound movement for each muscle, but as i stated thats usually done 3 times every 2 weeks(the a/b split). In this type of workout I guess since your only working every muslce once a week u need to add more volume. Just dont over train. As long as you feel strong throughout the workout an repair you will be fine.

exactly, also in a 5x5 theres usually only 1 compound movement for each muscle, but as i stated thats usually done 3 times every 2 weeks(the a/b split). In this type of workout I guess since your only working every muslce once a week u need to add more volume. Just dont over train. As long as you feel strong throughout the workout an repair you will be fine.
    Thanks again Mach... I seriously doubt i'll overtrain on this routine - i'm actually moving to this routine because I have been overtraining for quite a while, and didn't know it. We live and learn, I guess. I'll be sure to pay close attention this time though, and if things don't seem right i'll make some adjustments.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have titled this post '5x5 workout' since it really isn't a typical 5x5; I simply switched my workouts to hit each bodypart once a week instead of twice, and am applying some of the 5x5 principles just to change things up.

What do you think about this routine in general? Does it seem solid?

Thread Information