im9boss is offline Junior Member

Is it necessary to cycle off/take a break from cardio?

I'm pretty sure i've read it a couple times in magazines that it is important to take about a week to two weeks off of cardio, if your following a constant cardio regime. for the past year, i been doing cardio 45 min atleast, 4-5 times a week (early in the year they may be a couple weeks that i did only 3 times). i took one break only for a week or so only because my exercise bike had to get fixed =P

so is it really important or necessary to cycle off of cardio? if so, when should you take a break? after how many weeks? months?

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    no, you should never take a break from cardio
    there is no reason too, and it will greatly diminish your performance when you go back too it if you take months off.

you should take a day off or even 3 days once in awhile
    but show me the article that advocates longer then ever taking a one week break from cardio.

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    no, you should never take a break from cardio
    there is no reason too, and it will greatly diminish your performance when you go back too it if you take months off.

you should take a day off or even 3 days once in awhile
    but show me the article that advocates longer then ever taking a one week break from cardio.
    I agree with Kratos if you miss cardio for a long period of time you will take a long time to get back what fitness you had back

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion62 View Post
    I agree with Kratos if you miss cardio for a long period of time you will take a long time to get back what fitness you had back
    >>>>>>>> x2!!!!

I get messed up sometimes if I go without cardio for 3 days....then that 4th day is a killer....

ironflames is offline Junior Member
    yea dont do long cardio breaks. im crrazzzy about running and prob do 30 plus miles per week easily. the most i do is a day or 2 off and thats after hitting 10 straight days. im on a cycle now and the increased amount of cardio fights off tests' water retention, although people will try to argue that it doesnt, but trust me it does.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Just another way people justify skipping their cardio.

BPack10 is offline New Member
    I do up to two hours a day 3 days a week when cutting down and another 3 days of one hour. When bulking up I cut that down to maintain a healthy heart to 4 days a week for a half hour. Cycling my cardio seems to keep me from burning out on it. It's tough to make strength and size gains for me if I keep cardio too high for too long...

Thread Information