daytrader is offline Member

box squats with bad back?

whats up guys,to keep it short. had a lower back injury a few years back that really inhibited my lifting for quite a whille... ive been getting back into power/ strength training.

been working dynamic/ static stretches to really get my flexibility/ hip mobility back and recently have been squating and even pulling from the floor (185 woho ! ) with no/ little pain!... my question do you think box squats would aggrevate a lower back injury.. its sort of a jerkier motion compared to convential squats... last thing id want to do is hurt my back again.. any input. ty very much
    Last edited by daytrader; 02-14-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I would stick with regular squats and deads. You said you have no pain right now so why mess with it. I would wait untill you start putting some big weight on you squat and dead with no pain then venture out

Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel View Post
    I would stick with regular squats and deads. You said you have no pain right now so why mess with it. I would wait untill you start putting some big weight on you squat and dead with no pain then venture out
    i hear ya bro but ive been training with westside principles and box squat is one of the most important excersises... plus being 6'3 i think it would really help with my form / get low etc.. deads aare stillv ery tough for me... i make it like a 2nd lift to make sure my entire body is extremley warmed up and im able to get low enough to fire with my glutes

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Bad Back with box squats is a risk that I would not be willing to take. Especially when you can do the same thing with other exercises that are safer.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Thanks for the reply MS... do you say that based on experience what about box squats dont you like for abad back considering i can do regular squats

Bump it

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
    Thanks for the reply MS... do you say that based on experience what about box squats dont you like for abad back considering i can do regular squats
    When you sit down the compressive forces on the spine are almost doubled vs being in a standing position. If you figure that coupled with the fact that when you sit there is the force of momentum that the spine has to absorb also from the weight on your back coming to a stop. So when you sit the load barring structure in the body are just the spine only. When your standing or squating the lower body structures as well as the spine absorb the compressive forces.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    When you sit down the compressive forces on the spine are almost doubled vs being in a standing position. If you figure that coupled with the fact that when you sit there is the force of momentum that the spine has to absorb also from the weight on your back coming to a stop. So when you sit the load barring structure in the body are just the spine only. When your standing or squating the lower body structures as well as the spine absorb the compressive forces.
    ahh ok well that does make a lot of sense.. ty for the reply.. .actually did them today on my dynamic effort lift day... sice first time i did them in a while i did 8 sets of 3 with 135... i will stick with these on my light days and never maxe days..

i must say box squats have a lot of benefit as far as getting me to use proper form,but will stick to dynamic effort only... ty again MS

Thread Information