oakdad is offline Junior Member

TRT Guy looking for gym help

The doc. suggestest I take advantage of my treatment and get into shape.
    So I have been going to the gym for a while. I have 2 lifting workouts and switch between them on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and do cardio the other days.

The first one is as follows.

I warm up with Machine Bench Press
    and Seated Cable Rows

I think I read some place that for weight loss it was smarter to do the supper sets so I am doing the following pairs as supper sets doing each 3 times for 8 to 12 reps.

Dumbbell Bench Press and One Arm Dumbbell Rows

Machine Shoulder (Military) Press and Wide-Grip Lat Pull down

Machine butterflies and the same machine but flipped around

Thinking I will add Smith Machine Incline Bench Press and supper set it with 1 arm standing cable rows

Once in a while I do Barbell Bench Presses instead of the dumb bell version but I ffff up my wrist to often doing these and I supper set them with seated cable rows.

My other upper body work out is as follows
    I warm up doing light Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curls
    and the assisted dip machine to get those kinks out

Dumbbell Shrugs and the assisted dip machine

Reverse Barbell Curls (with the curl bar) and Cable Rope Overhead Triceps Extensions

One Arm Cable Curls and Cable One Arm Triceps Extensions

Alternate Hammer Curls and Triceps Push downs

Machine Preacher Curls and Machine Triceps Extensions

I use to have a leg day and doing the 3 sets of squats and what not but my knees hurt so much I could hardly walk and I quit doing cardio and being over weight I desided the cardio was more important at this time. Plus I figure at my size doing the stair climber machine for 20 min was plenty for a leg work out.

As of late my shoulders are just a killing me on the bi and tri days and I have no idea what needs to be changed up so I can accually get a good burn on my biceps.

Looking for any sound advise out there. I found out I accually like lifting weights and believe it will be though lifting weights I will find success in loosing the extra Body Fat.

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    First thing mate is put your stats up ie height,bf,age, weight and how long you have been working out
    Last edited by scorpion62; 02-21-2010 at 11:30 AM.

oakdad is offline Junior Member
    height - 5'-9"
    bf - way to high over 30% wouldn't shock me.
    age - 39
    weight - 295 lbs
    how long you have been working out - on and off the past 15 years.

Here is a more detailed idea where I am at.
    Can bench 315 2 times last time I tried it.
    Can bench 225 for 3 sets of 10 last time I tried.
    Did 3 sets of 10 of the dumb bell press today.
    Did 3 sets of 10 of the dumb bell rows today.
    Can do only do 8 reps at 200 for the military press machine goal is 3 sets of ten. (my current big goal)
    Lat pull downs are 3 sets of 12 at 145. (goal is to do pull ups instead)
    The machine said 110 for the butterflies today. (at a different gym today not sure what it is at the other gym)
    I did the incline press on the smith machine for the first time at 135 lbs.

The dumb bells shrugs 3 sets of 10 at 55 lbs Thursday.
    Assisted dip machine 3 sets of 10 where I am being helped by 30 lbs. (I did 5 unassisted last week but almost screwed myself over trying to get more)
    Reverse Barbell Curls (with the curl bar) with 2 tens on both sides no idea what the standard weight is for those bars for 3 sets of 10
    Cable Rope Overhead Triceps Extensions 3 sets of 10 at 60 lbs
    One Arm Cable Curls 3 sets of 10 at 30 lbs
    Cable One Arm Triceps Extensions only done these once so far 3 sets of 10 at 25 lbs
    Alternate Hammer Curls depends on the day with sore wrist from benching could only do 3 sets of 10 at 40 lbs last we but have done 3 sets of 10 at 50 lbs in the past.
    Triceps Push downs 3 sets of 12 at 75 lbs.
    Machine Preacher Curls don't recall and just started them anyways so they are still on the move.
    Machine Triceps Extensions don't recall and just started them anyways so they are still on the move.

I seem to favor pushing more the pulling.
    Hands and wrist are a weak point but they are coming along.
    I have had planter fasciitis which still pulls me up short time to time on my cardio.
    I have tight hams and calfs also which like the above has stopped me short of doing what I wanted to do for cardio.

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    medical arch support, anti-inflammatory medications, ice massage and stretching.For your condition I take it Iam telling my granny how to suck eggs here, I would say do more cycling than running for your cardio or cable rowing and loads of stretching before hand will help your hams and calfs step up the work load on your abs to no large weight just get them burning, I do mine every day to stay on top of them also check the diet forum get the diet right its half the battle and set a workout ie

Monday cheast and tris
    Tuesday shoulders and shrugs
    Wednesday off
    Thursday back and bis
    Friday legs

Cardio at the start of you workout 20 mins and 20 at the end plus your abs

Thread Information