Hobbitjones is offline Junior Member

Bench press help

Hey guys dont flame right away but i need some help. I do my workout split of two days just repeated through the week. #1) Chest,bi's,tri's #2) Shoulder,back, legs. Anyways i've been on this for last 6 months or so and have noticed a lot of strength gain but not as much size. Anyways for stats im Age-20
    Height- 5' 8''
    Weight- 145ish.

Now i know for my size i dont think my bench is awful but i want to move up a lot higher. Right now i 1 rep max 175. I dont think this is bad but i want it in the 200's. My goal is by the end of the year or this time next year 225 2-3 reps. On #1 days i do Flat bench, then dumbell curls, then tricep pulldowns, then Incline dumbell press, then more curls, more triceps, then incline bench press, then more tri, more bis. I do a lot of different excersises really along with flys, and cables set at top and then bottom as well. Idk just trying to figure out what all to add or improve on. All excersises are 3 sets and i try for 10,8,6 sometimes i do more sometimes less. Last set is always to failure. I know this is a lot to read but just let me know. Thanks guys!!!!

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    i would change your split if i were you, it looks aweful to me . how many days per week can you train?

i usually train mon-sat and take sunday off. days and length at this point isnt really an issue as i can train everyday for 4 or 5 hours or more if needed. Helps my gym is open till midnight everynight pretty much haha

and i dont do lower sets cause if i only do sets of 2-3 or 3-4 i feel like i didnt work out or w.e idk its weird. And too few excersies makes me feel like i wasted my time and im not gonna gain off what i just did haha. Its all in my head im sure!!

polly56 is offline Associate Member
    you should be using free weights they get you strong. Try spliting your workouts over 3 days day 1. chest and tris, 2. back shoulders and bis, 3. legs. you shouldnt be training with the same routine every other day you need to give your muscles at the very least 3 days rest. you should be switching up your routine every 4 weeks. you should be lifting heavier weight for lower reps to get stronger
    Last edited by polly56; 02-22-2010 at 11:37 PM.

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    ^^ agreed. IMO i would try each muscle group on its own day.

Eg: monday: back
    tues: chest
    wednes:rest
    thurs: arms
    friday: legs
    Sat: shoulders
    sunday: rest

As for your bench press strength alternate between dumbells and barbells. also fix your diet, at 145lbs you have plenty of weight to gain.

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    chest

two sets warm up - 12 reps light weight

three sets of incline bench 65 - 75 persent of your present max weight

three sets of flat bench 65 - 75 persent of your present max weight

three sets of decline 65 - 75 persent of your present max weight

two - four sets of cables or dumbell flier or peck deck

then chest is done!!!!!! dont do any more

my bench is 405 for 3 reps, i weigh 259

ok ill try to switch it up a little better and i do dumbell and barbell usually same day

Thread Information