Just2Big is offline Associate Member

What exercises can replace bench press for chest?

Stupid me I was decline benching in a wife beater and I guess my skin was dry so my back didnt move in on the bench as I brang the weight down. I fell like I really jammed my shoulder into my back. Its been a few days and its still sore. I was dieing working out my bies the next day. i took off yesterday because it was shoulder day. I really dont want to hurt it more especially since Im in the middle of a cycle. Thinking of not benching for a while. What are some good alternatives for chest exrercises? I also work out at home.

NMacFar is offline Member
    I love dumbell workouts for chest, much more than BP'ing. I notice less strain on my shoulders with DB's. It's worth a shot...

If its really that bad just REST. I realize that you are currently on a cycle, and I would be going insane just like you are, but it will only get worse if you continue to aggravate it! Best of luck to you.

Just2Big is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for your advice but you really didnt name any exersices. I mainly did incline, decline and flat bench. I am going to start peck dec and maybe some flies. Any thoughts on exercises that work chest without so much stress?

Walnutz is offline Member
    Try the chest press machines.

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    Take a tip from the pros and stick to hammer strength if you want to stay heavy and make the most out of that cycle. Otherwise, just go light with dumbbells and concentrate on the contraction or rest. If you really need a list of DB exercises for chest google it or check out abcbodybuilding.com or something like that.

BluEyedClubr is offline Associate Member
    Pros only use hammer strength?

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BluEyedClubr View Post
    Pros only use hammer strength?
    No, they do use hammer strength quite frequently though especially getting close to competition. The reasoning behind it is to push maximum weight and reduce the risk of injury. However, you cannot rely on this in itself because your stabilizers are not being used to the extent they would be with free weights. The take home message is to do both; overload the muscle with hammer strength and use free weights to hone in on form and technique as they cannot be fully replaced.

RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBuck6 View Post
    No, they do use hammer strength quite frequently though especially getting close to competition. The reasoning behind it is to push maximum weight and reduce the risk of injury. However, you cannot rely on this in itself because your stabilizers are not being used to the extent they would be with free weights. The take home message is to do both; overload the muscle with hammer strength and use free weights to hone in on form and technique as they cannot be fully replaced.
    Talk about one big contradiction.

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadToRecovery View Post
    Talk about one big contradiction.
    Not really, makes pretty good sense. I know that when I injured my shoulder and could not do heavy presses, a similar strategy worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tjax03 View Post
    Not really, makes pretty good sense. I know that when I injured my shoulder and could not do heavy presses, a similar strategy worked for me.
    So from him saying stick to hammer strength, to then saying hammer strength and dumbells is not a contradiction? Odd. Did you read his posts before you said it made sense?

And treating and injury and preventing an injury are 2 totally different animals.

yerrr is offline New Member
    I have a bad shoulder too and I find the db's are easier on it, plus I like db's way better for flat bench atleast.

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadToRecovery View Post
    So from him saying stick to hammer strength, to then saying hammer strength and dumbells is not a contradiction? Odd. Did you read his posts before you said it made sense?

And treating and injury and preventing an injury are 2 totally different animals.
    Yea read it more closely. He says go heavy with hammer strength and then lighter free weights at the end so that you still work your stabilizers.

I agree that both Hammer Strength machines as well as light db work will help maintain your muscle mass through this injury. Don't get me wrong, I think you'll lose a little bit of overall strength in general, but this may actually benefit you. Who knows, if you haven't used the machines before, you may even make some gains.

Quote Originally Posted by tjax03 View Post
    Yea read it more closely. He says go heavy with hammer strength and then lighter free weights at the end so that you still work your stabilizers.
    Semantics aside, he said ONLY hammer strength and then hammer strength and dumbells.

Quote Originally Posted by SwollenMooseKnuckle8 View Post
    I agree that both Hammer Strength machines as well as light db work will help maintain your muscle mass through this injury. Don't get me wrong, I think you'll lose a little bit of overall strength in general, but this may actually benefit you. Who knows, if you haven't used the machines before, you may even make some gains.
    Its not about strength when you are prepping for a competition.

Thread Information