BIGB is offline Associate Member

Exercises for low back pain

If any one has a site or knows of some good exercises for low back pain caused by a disk injury. Please let me know i am doing all the things physio has me doing but just doesn't seem to be progressing it's been 6 weeks and my back is still terrible.

Thanks

B

palevein is offline Junior Member
    Athletic Therapy > Physio

celticreels is offline New Member

Back empathy, possible advice

I'm in exactly the same boat. Used to throw out my back every 6 months since I was 14. Told I had a swollen disc, but really don't know.
    What helps me:
    1) including roman bench on a stomach/back day
    2) running

Haven't thrown out my back now for 4 years. Just turned 39 yo.

I do a day of 45 minutes of stomach and lower back. Stomach is leg lifts while hanging from a bar. Many versions of this, check out YouTube. I wear 3 k leg weights (so 6 K together). Back is followed by roman bench holding 25 K. I never, never go up beyond horizontal, as I heard arching the back is a seriously bad idea.
    So I basically do the "super set" idea: some stomach exercise (intense but nothing that agggravates the back), then roman bench immediately with no break, followed by a 90 sec. break. Repeat leg-lifts and roman bench, 4 sets. Change exercises for another 4 sets, then again until I hit 45 minutes. That's once a week on a 6 day cycle.

If my back is really hurting, I find a solid run also helps. Seems to straighten it up like riding a horse (I don't ride horses, but I hear the lower back has this way of straightening itself out when you sit on a horse). Can't say this is for everyone, but it really sorts out any pain for me.
    I run twice a week for 45 minutes. Standard cement, not a nicely cushion track, which would probably be better on the joints.

I haven't thrown my back out for 4 years. But while I write this, I gotta say that I was squatting last Monday and POW, threw it out again after 4 yrs. But my form was wrong for that one squat. Totally stupid of me... if you have back problems, you really gotta be careful with those squats, and I let my form go along with starting off with too much weight. I'll return to squatting again in a couple of weeks, but will never let my form slack again.

But working up on weights on the roman bench (can I call them "back-situps"?) has really been great, along with the running.

Hope that helps.

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    As much as I do not like machines, the back extension works rather well for lower back pain. In addition, throw in some cable deadlifts, abdominal work like double crunches, roman chairs, and finally a few very light romanian deadlifts with dumbbells while keeping strict form and a natural arch in your lower back.

BIGB is offline Associate Member
    thanks guys for the ideas will be trying a few.

Thread Information