Exilus is offline Banned

Lagging chest and back thickness. need help.

I have some wide lats and shoulders, but i dont have ANY chest or back thickness despite my efforts. here is my routine:

All exercises i do five sets:

1 warmup 15x low charge
    3 series 10-8-faillure
    1 dropset 50% charge till faillure

Day 1 - Back, triceps, abs
    --------------
    Bent over dumbell row
    closegrip lat pulldown
    reverse flys
    Horizontal row
    wide grip lat pulldown
    ----
    closegrip benchpress
    push-dumbell-overhead
    pulley triceps
    pulley with reverse grip
    ---
    abs...
    ----------------------------------
    Day 2 - rest
    ----------------------------------
    Day 3 - Shoulders biceps+forearm
    ---------------------
    Dumbell shoulderpress
    upright row
    dumbell front elevation
    dumbell side elevation
    traps
    standing behind-the-neck presses
    ---
    Bicep hammer curl
    bicep bar curl
    arnold curl
    reverse curls
    +2 forearms exercises
    ------------------------------------
    day 4 - Chest/abs
    -----------------
    Bench press
    Dumbell press
    Flys
    Incline bench press
    Incline flyss
    Decline benchpress
    -------------------------------------
    day 5 - rest
    day 6 - Legs
    ------------
    legpress
    squat
    reverse leg curl
    leg curl
    deadlift

I got huge shoulders and arms, yet my chest and back thickness is lacking... i barely bench 210 lbs but take 80's for shoulders.

Stats:

205 lbs @ 14% BF
    5'9
    on 5th week of test e/deca /dbol cycle. Second cycle. Dont flame.
    Last edited by Exilus; 04-27-2010 at 04:42 PM.

awesome1 is offline Associate Member
    my chest is lacking too, but I have made good improvements on back thickness with deadlifts

Exilus is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by awesome1 View Post
    my chest is lacking too, but I have made good improvements on back thickness with deadlifts
    deadlift thickens the upper back?

swol_je is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Exilus View Post
    deadlift thickens the upper back?
    O yea. Big time. Try pulling from mid shin level or a couple of inches below the knee. It takes it out of your lower back and all into the upper back. Deadlifts ate the number 1 exercise for back thickness and overall mass. No wonder your lacking in the back department if you have not been doing them! I always do them first while I'm fresh and finish with stripping a plate off at a time and shooting for 4 drop sets of ten.

Exilus is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swol_je View Post
    O yea. Big time. Try pulling from mid shin level or a couple of inches below the knee. It takes it out of your lower back and all into the upper back. Deadlifts ate the number 1 exercise for back thickness and overall mass. No wonder your lacking in the back department if you have not been doing them! I always do them first while I'm fresh and finish with stripping a plate off at a time and shooting for 4 drop sets of ten.
    i started doing them about 6 weeks ago.....seeing improvements in my overall leg condition...but more important than my back is my chest...its just completely flat beside the pointing bitchtits.

but i didn't know it actually helped in middle back :O
    Last edited by Exilus; 04-27-2010 at 08:30 PM.

swol_je is offline Senior Member
    Just looking at your chest workout, it looks to me like you are definitely over training. I would start with incline barbell then either flat DB or barbell bench followed by heavy DB flat flys. Then dips with your elbows out to finish off the chest. Alternate between starting off with either incline or flat barbell bench. Also make sure you are squeezing your shoulder blades together to help keep your chest higher than your shoulders. You didn't say ur shoulders are lacking so if I had to guess I would say your not keeping your chest higher than your shoulders, thus using your front delts more then u should be during presses.

chess is offline New Member
    yeah I agree your a decent sized guy I dont know how much you bench which in a way I guess irrelevent but if your not benching 300lbs or more your chest proably wont be thick. I think that routine is over kill. I dont know your level of strength but benching and back thickness have a direct correlation to.

chess is offline New Member
    I know nothing of your training but I would suggest mabey watching dave tates bench video on youtube if you feel your bench isnt as strong as it should be. A lot of people have terrible benching form. you have to be very tight and compact to move heavy weights. I'm not the strongest though I can proably only bench 360 or so at the moment but until I started benching more like a power lifter I got no where

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Exilus View Post
    I have some wide lats and shoulders, but i dont have ANY chest or back thickness despite my efforts. here is my routine:

day 4 - Chest/abs
    -----------------
    Bench press
    Dumbell press
    Flys
    Incline bench press
    Incline flyss
    Decline benchpress
    -------------------------------------

I got huge shoulders and arms, yet my chest and back thickness is lacking... i barely bench 210 lbs but take 80's for shoulders.

Stats:

205 lbs @ 14% BF
    5'9
    on 5th week of test e/deca/dbol cycle. Second cycle. Dont flame.
    Its your bench that is holding you back. Be careful though I tore my rotator cuff as a teenager trying to go too heavy on bench. Here is how you can break through:

Pick a bench weight you can do 15 of. Do it.
    Pick one you can do 12 of. Do it.
    Now do three sets of 8 reps at a weight you will be close to failing on. Before you start the first one you grab a spotter. You tell him "I am going to try to do 8 reps. Please don't spot me unless the weight isn't going up." You use perfect form. If your bench technique is like mine the last 2 or 3 reps will go up slowly. A good spotter will let you get those up on your own. Do not do anything funny like twisting or anything wierd to get the weight up; this will just open you up to injury. Trust your spotter. I have had those last couple of reps literally not move and my spotter knew me and let me get them up slowly on my own. If you do this you will get the most awesome pump; you'll actually be able to see it in your pecs in the mirror. The reason I know this is I did this last week and a couple of family members saw me with my shirt off and commented. I didn't do this this week and my pecs look like shit.

Oh and for the record I think thats too many exercises for one day. I would pick 4 of those and then rotate the other 2 in another day so you are mixing it up sure but not all those in one day.
    Last edited by cherrydrpepper; 04-28-2010 at 01:31 AM.

Thread Information