lexmark is offline Banned

Arrow cut the cables when trying to buil muscle ???

when trying to put on size should you purely stick to free weights dumbells and benches etc and staw away from machines ? for example lat pull ups over lat pull dowsn on the machine ? arm curls with a barbell rather than cable machines ??
    cheers

Blog Entries
    in general id say yes freeweights are best for all your compuond movements but cables and machines are great to mix in as well speccialy to finnish off a muscle group toward the end of your workout and just for overall variety in your workouts...thats just my opinion though...

sean_holland is offline Associate Member
    I don't even gotta read this....FCUK a Cable.

Stick with free weights and compound movements. You are looking to build muscle and cables and machines have assists and range of motion limitations built into them.

I only use a Cable/Pully or Machine for maintenance maybe on my last exercise on a body part. To be honest with you, I haven't used a cable/pully or machine in at least 8 months.

I let the girls and the gym posers in their fancy gym attire worry about that fruity shit, I actually lift weights.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Deadlifts, Squats, Bench, Pullups, Dips = mass.

danimal79 is offline Junior Member
    generally speaking, i agree with this:
    Deadlifts, Squats, Bench, Pullups, Dips = mass.
    i do a ton of weighted pull-ups and chin-ups variations for my back, but cable exercises work great too. i also get a great pump from machine curls. it's really all how YOU work the muscles. as long as you're doing the exercises properly and squeezing the life out of those muscles, that's all that matters.

goodlifting is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lexmark View Post
    when trying to put on size should you purely stick to free weights dumbells and benches etc and staw away from machines ? for example lat pull ups over lat pull dowsn on the machine ? arm curls with a barbell rather than cable machines ??
    cheers
    it depends on where you need to develop. i would say you can build alot of muscle on parts of your body with cables, no question about it.

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    u do what works, period. Might be cable fly's, might be flat bench, may be hammer strength incline machine, maybe its just a bunch of push ups. Resistance is resistance, if its hard for the muscle to execute the move, its working it. It could be in a jungle lifting sandbags, doesnt matter

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    IMO, yes free weights, but to polish off and target certain aspects of a muscle, cables etc can be great,, one area i can think of it peaking the bicep, many use standing double arm cable curls to peak the bicep, but as with most things you will get those that are for and those against,, you need to try experiement and see how your body responds

Regular guy is offline Junior Member
    Like cables for a change and for the chicks that flock to them But free weights are the ultimate bomb. I've always been told dumbells better than barbell better than machines. I think cables are excellent for busting up lactics acid and ROM. Beware I am much smaller than many on here. And my max bench is much less than some here, not all though

oldschoolfitness is offline Associate Member
    hammer strength is a machine but not many are doing away with those. some equipment is better than others for bodybuilding and some is more suited for the general public find what gives the best range of motion without any pain and chart your progress. db's and bb's give me great strength but sometimes i get to using bad form and i question myself on the same thing.

^^^there's some exercises that i think SUCK on free-weights - flies for example. the machine allows you to squeeze the life out of your chest, and really exhaust the muscles FAR better than dumbbells imo.

Quote Originally Posted by danimal79 View Post
    as long as you're doing the exercises properly and squeezing the life out of those muscles, that's all that matters.
    For the most part, I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    For the most part, I agree with this.
    I gotta disagree. I have seen tons of people in the gym, guys I know personally that can rack those seated bench press machines, 220lbs or 250lbs and they think they are jacked up and they flounder under a plate a side on a real bench.

There is something about cables and machines that limit the full potential of muscle growth. I just can't find much use out of them other then to do a few final sets just to feel a different range of motion.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_holland View Post
    I gotta disagree. I have seen tons of people in the gym, guys I know personally that can rack those seated bench press machines, 220lbs or 250lbs and they think they are jacked up and they flounder under a plate a side on a real bench.

There is something about cables and machines that limit the full potential of muscle growth. I just can't find much use out of them other then to do a few final sets just to feel a different range of motion.
    Well, I can't argue with this - i've seen it too. At the end of the day, both will build muscle - resistance is resistance. Is one superior to the other? Absolutely, free weights by a long shot. You're forced to balance, use your stabilizers and you have a free/full range of motion - just about all of those are missing from machines/cables.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The only time i use cables is for back. I do pull downs and cable rows. They are not my main exercises though. I would never have my major work down on cables

in bodybuilding, the amount of weight you can lift doesn't matter. the way you LOOK is what most people care about. you think that guy's girlfriend gives a shit about how much he benches, when she's butt ass naked licking his chest in the bedroom? and just the same, i've seen a ton of guys who can bench out of this world, and look like shit. why? 'cause they're more concerned about looking cool to a bunch of other lifters, than they are about working the muscles properly.
    Last edited by danimal79; 07-11-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danimal79 View Post
    in bodybuilding, the amount of weight you can lift doesn't matter. the way you LOOK is what most people care about. you think that guy's girlfriend gives a shit about how much he benches, when she's butt ass naked licking his chest in the bedroom? and just the same, i've seen a ton of guys who can bench out of this world, and look like shit. why? 'cause they're more concerned about looking cool to a bunch of other lifters, than they are about working the muscles properly.
    I disagree with this statement. Getting under a lot of weight with terrible form to look good maybe but not everyone is a bodybuilder. Some guys love powerlifting. Bodybuilders do it to show off their body and powerlifters show off their lifts. Many are fat and dont look good. But some go for looks as well.

I already posted how i hardly ever use cables because i dont like the motion. Sure they are good for definition but you can define muscles with free weights too. I have a defined chest yet i bench 425 pounds now. I dont max out every set but i am still strong in all of my major lifts.

It is possible to be strong and a bodybuilder

agreed. but that's why i started off with "in bodybuilding..." there's very few power lifters in the gym, and according to what the op wrote, he's not one of 'em.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree free weights are generally the best. For me working out at home, and no spotter, I use a machine. I think I probably get a better workout under these circumstances since i can allow myself to fail on the machine without the worry of the barbell come crashing down on my throat.

"You do the best you can with what you got!"

But most body builders can lift a significant amount of weight. They are not sitting on machines and cables during their routines. I know what your saying about it being about looks, and girls licking your chest (or something to that effect). I'm still lifting with goals in mind to keep me stimulated to continue my progress. I don't see much progress when using a machine or a cable, especially as a main exercise.

....and I'm married so I'm not looking to be adored by the masses, I'm looking to grow and move more metal. So if your looking for the same, I wouldn't use machines/cables for anything but incidental maintenance and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I agree free weights are generally the best. For me working out at home, and no spotter, I use a machine. I think I probably get a better workout under these circumstances since i can allow myself to fail on the machine without the worry of the barbell come crashing down on my throat.

"You do the best you can with what you got!"
    I feel that, I work out alone as well. I use free weights only, but I do a lot of sets to failure (or close to) and then strip weight and get back under it, to mimic failure with a spotter as best as possible.

But I have had to roll weight off my chest more than one time, hoping that I don't break a rib with the bar lol

Myalansky is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lexmark View Post
    cheers
    Generally I`d suggest one to mix it up. Alter the exercises, the motions, angles, reps and order. With machines and cables you can get different angles, etc. and vice versa with free weights. I usually base all my gymwork on free weights as a base, feeling them to be more natural to do, and then add machines and cables as I please that day.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I feel that, I work out alone as well. I use free weights only, but I do a lot of sets to failure (or close to) and then strip weight and get back under it, to mimic failure with a spotter as best as possible.

But I have had to roll weight off my chest more than one time, hoping that I don't break a rib with the bar lol
    about ten years ago i had 300+ lbs sitting on my chest. Started hollerin for the wife, finally she came out and helped. Friggin embarrassing

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    If it can be done without a machine, do it without a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    about ten years ago i had 300+ lbs sitting on my chest. Started hollerin for the wife, finally she came out and helped. Friggin embarrassing

I'm alone in a warehouse....there is no help coming...

jester4710 is offline New Member
    I let the girls and the gym posers in their fancy gym attire worry about that fruity shit, I actually lift weights.
    Hilarious!

mario_ps2 is offline Associate Member

That' why they invented the squat rack..

Machines are good only when you are coming back from an injury doing rehab IMO.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mario_ps2 View Post
    Machines are good only when you are coming back from an injury doing rehab IMO.
    Thank you!

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    I don't think you guys are giving enough credit to the cables. I think they are a valuable tool in sculpting a good body. For example, my tricep routines consist of DB kickbacks, close-grip, overhead db/EZ-bar extensions, french curl, and dips but after 9 sets or so of the above, I always finish out the workout with some form of push down (usually reverse-grip or wide with the rope) for a well-rounded burn.

Same with chest. I find DB flies awkward and hard on my rotator cuff, I wouldn't wanna see my inner chest now had it not been for cables.

Face pulls for rear delts every now and then? What about mixing it up and doing upright rows on cables sometimes and focusing on the eccentric phase/negative more (I also do this with bicep curls sometimes, counting 3 seconds up, and as many as 10 down.). Back to rear delts - have you come up with a better warm-up than low n' slow reverse cable flies?!

Lat pull-downs with emphasis on form and a slow, controlled movement?!

Of course compound movements and DB/BB are better in general for mass but show me a routine that doesn't implement all available equipment and I'll show you one that is lacking.

Thread Information