Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Drop setting: by marcus300

davesah1 is offline Member
    do you ever do both rest pause and drop sets in a workout?
    I enjoy using rest pause when I'm at my strongest which is the beginning of the workout and then using drop sets towards the end to really blow out the muscle.
    You ever try a "gauntlet" set where you do a drop set wait about 15 seconds and work your way back up to the weight you started with? Those are killer.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Can remember way back doing drop sets in high school with the strength training coach from MSU. There were no breaks in a drop set (key is to not let ATP catch up) and it was all power training (no one arm exercises). Dan Duchane preached drop sets and is as tried and true as you get.

That and plateau busting using the thing they call HIT training now were structured evolutions weekly. When you are young there is no such thing as overtraining lol.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by davesah1 View Post
    do you ever do both rest pause and drop sets in a workout?
    I enjoy using rest pause when I'm at my strongest which is the beginning of the workout and then using drop sets towards the end to really blow out the muscle.
    You ever try a "gauntlet" set where you do a drop set wait about 15 seconds and work your way back up to the weight you started with? Those are killer.
    Drop setting is implement at the point of true positive failure on the exercise so you can go beyond failure if your mind is in the right place. You could use a combination of rest pause drops within the same workout but that depends on the muscle group your attacking and its very advanced. Learn how to tale your body to failure first before implementing any beyond failure methods IMHO
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Drop setting is implement at the point of true positive failure on the exercise so you can go beyond failure if your mind is in the right place. You could use a combination of rest pause drops within the same workout but that depends on the muscle group your attacking and its very advanced. Learn how to tale your body to failure first before implementing any beyond failure methods IMHO
    I've gotten rid of most of the drop sets and some volume in my training and implemented more of the Dorian Yates style training (forced reps followed by eccentric exhaustion) you posted that I totally forgot about when I watched it two years ago. I also use rest pause for certain exercises. My strength has gone up a LOT. I think I was overdoing it with my training volume and minimal resting. Got all caught up in the CT Fletcher mentality.......doesn't really work.

For example, 3 weeks ago I would rep 45 pounds dumbbells for hammer curls and today I got 55lbs for 8 reps. I'm very pleased. I like drop setting but I think there's a point where your going beyond what you need for growth and only excessively depleting muscle glycogen and making for a longer recovery. Of course its also super useful to have a gym partner for bloods and guts style training.

I used to do like 3 dropsets a body part plus 10-12 sets. Now I do 4-5 working sets with one of them being a rest pause or drop set. Less might be more. I like to work out 5 days a week.

Thanks for the inspiration on changing my shit.
    Last edited by davesah1; 06-20-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davesah1 View Post
    I've gotten rid of most of the drop sets and some volume in my training and implemented more of the Dorian Yates style training (forced reps followed by eccentric exhaustion) you posted that I totally forgot about when I watched it two years ago. I also use rest pause for certain exercises. My strength has gone up a LOT. I think I was overdoing it with my training volume and minimal resting. Got all caught up in the CT Fletcher mentality.......doesn't really work.

For example, 3 weeks ago I would rep 45 pounds dumbbells for hammer curls and today I got 55lbs for 8 reps. I'm very pleased. I like drop setting but I think there's a point where your going beyond what you need for growth and only excessively depleting muscle glycogen and making for a longer recovery. Of course its also super useful to have a gym partner for bloods and guts style training.

I used to do like 3 dropsets a body part plus 10-12 sets. Now I do 4-5 working sets with one of them being a rest pause or drop set. Less might be more. I like to work out 5 days a week.

Thanks for the inspiration on changing my shit.
    Drop setting is just one beyond failure protocol I use, if I have a partner I much prefer forced and negative. If you read my thread it tells you in there about all the protocols and also how to take yourself part positive failure. I never train volume even drop setting is hit STYLE. If you want to learn how to train to hit and take your body into serious growth and also get a better understanding of the muscle fibers used check out my diary in the lounge. Its a long read but worth it,.

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    I'm old and I aint one of the big guys, so take this for what it's worth. I've found that the big muscle groups really benefit using beyond failure techniques, while smaller ones, like biceps, grow the best going to the failure point, but not beyond. With the smaller muscle groups, rest-pause methods keep them growing FOR ME. That might be considered a beyond-failure technique, but with 20'seconds in between, it's a bit different then just hammering away. I do, occasionally, perform forced reps and negatives on biceps, but I don't do it regularly. Besides, I've stopped over-obsessing on arms and am focusing on just being, overall, bigger.

I'm sure marcus will hammer away at me if he disagrees
    Last edited by Rusty11; 06-21-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty11 View Post
    I'm old and I aint one of the big guys, so take this for what it's worth. I've found that the big muscle groups really benefit using beyond failure techniques, while smaller ones, like biceps, grow the best going to the failure point, but not beyond. With the smaller muscle groups, rest-pause methods keep them growing FOR ME. That might be considered a beyond-failure technique, but with 20'seconds in between, it's a bit different then just hammering away. I do, occasionally, perform forced reps and negatives on biceps, but I don't do it regularly. Besides, I've stopped over-obsessing on arms and am focusing on just being, overall, bigger.

I'm sure marcus will hammer away at me if he disagrees
    My arms definitely grew doing exactly what you said, but they'll stalled out bc the strength was stagnant. Curling exercises especially are a pain the ass for me get the numbers up. Until I went to failure and beyond. I know they're is no direct correlation between strength and size, but if I do 8 reps for arms for a month or two and get significantly stronger and then go back to high reps, perhaps that will generate more size. For example, curling 45's for 12 instead of 35's. hmm
    Last edited by davesah1; 06-21-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Bump for a recent member asking me about drop setting....

bump

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information