Thread: shoulders

scobbs is offline Junior Member

shoulders

Does any1 see a problem with this routine, if so please suggest and alternative?

shoulder workout:
    seated military press
    seated dumbbell shoulder press
    standing military press
    upright row
    barbell shrugs

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scobbs View Post
    Does any1 see a problem with this routine, if so please suggest and alternative?

shoulder workout:
    seated military press
    standing military press
    upright row
    barbell shrugs
    These are all the same exersize practically...

Your delts need more balance, and dont count traps as shoulders, they are not part of the muscle, so you need about 12 sets for Delts ONLY and then whatever shrug work you want to do. When I say balance I mean that there are 3 heads, however your fronts get slammed when you do chest and then you hit them again when you do shoulder press, so there is no need for front raises to isolate them. I know they give a good pump and you can do them occasionally, but they can end up hurting more than helping. I do one press exercise (rotate between DB press, seated military, and standing military), one lateral exercise (cables or DB), and i usually do 1 rear delt exercise bc they are the hardest to hit and the most neglected part of the shoulder. Also when I do upright rows I move my grip to about shoulder width, insted of close grip, this takes the stress of the fronts and kills the medial delt, they will make you wide as fvck. Heres a sample workout

Military 3x6-10
    Upright row 3x8-10, super set with DB lat raise (3x10-12dont need to go heavy here, lat raises are all about form)
    Incline rear lateral raise 3x10-12(this is where you sit facing the back of an incline bench looks like your humping the bench and do a lateral raise) - You could also substitute reverse pec dec

Delts are also a muscle that benefits more from hypertrophy (shorter rest periods). Take 2 minutes rest between press sets, but for all the other exerices use 1.5 minute rest periods. Gives a nice pump, and gets ya in and out quick.

Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    These are all the same exersize practically...
    Also when I do upright rows I move my grip to about shoulder width, insted of close grip, this takes the stress of the fronts and kills the medial delt, they will make you wide as fvck
    haha thats what I like to hear, thanks for your advice i think i was over doing it with the press exercises.

im gunna give that sample workout uve posted ago for a few weeks c if i make an improvement.

when you do DB lat raise do you kept your elbows really bent or more straight, alot of people at the gym tell me different ways maybe its just preference??

thanks bro

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    haha thats what I like to hear, thanks for your advice i think i was over doing it with the press exercises.

im gunna give that sample workout uve posted ago for a few weeks c if i make an improvement.

when you do DB lat raise do you kept your elbows really bent or more straight, alot of people at the gym tell me different ways maybe its just preference??

thanks bro
    Keep your elbows straight, bending them takes stress off your delts, which leads to less growth.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBuck6 View Post
    Keep your elbows straight, bending them takes stress off your delts, which leads to less growth.
    Sorry Buck, but explain please.

If you do machine side raises your arm is at 90 degrees and it still hits the delts.

All bending the arm will do is change the amount of weight you use...IMO

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    Okay I shouldn't say exactly straight but more of about 10 degrees at the elbow. The glenohumeral is performing lateral movement away from the midline of the body. As you bend your elbow you are transferring the load to different parts of the shoulder and also using other muscles to assist in the lift. We are talking about lateral raises and trying to put the main focus on the lateral deltoid. I can honestly say I don't feel like figuring out the mechanics with machine side raises right now maybe MuscleScience might want to tackle that one. To sum it up though, the load it distributed differently and the mechanics are changed a little.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    I've always found light weight with elbows straight, and slow and controlled negatives gave the best results for the medial delt.

red barraca is offline New Member
    Rotate from lateral raises first and then presses,vice versa next week.
    Try it and see new growth and shape.

Thanks for your advice fellas ill give it a shot let you know if anything improves

someone else mentioned above,,,, most of your shoulder workouts are basically the same movement. not good. military press and seated dumbells are pretty much identical. Try to hit all levels of the shoulder (in order) top, middle, bottom

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!

shoulder workout:
    seated military press
    standing military press
    upright row
    barbell shrugs
    shrugs are for traps... not that is it a bad idea to do with shoulder but i like to seperat the two...

and all the excersies you are doing hit the from and middle delts, are you doing rear delts on a dif day or not at all?

how bout some shoulder extentions with dumb bells?

you also need to tell us how many sets of each you do as well as reps

warren916 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    I've always found light weight with elbows straight, and slow and controlled negatives gave the best results for the medial delt.
    Dont forget your rear delt either! Many guys dont do it, you want the whole delt sweep.

Delts are another smaller muscle on the body so you've gotta use a lot of versatility with it.

Heavy military and dumbbell presses work great, but when it comes to medial and rear, you really have to focus on the pump, leave the ego at home, and dont be afraid to pickup those 15 and even 10lb dumb bells for side laterals.

Hack da Squat is offline Junior Member

shoulder workout:
    seated military press
    standing military press
    upright row
    barbell shrugs
    Way to much bro try this
    Seated dunbell press
    Close grip barbell upright rows
    dunbell side raises

4-5 sets each at the proper weight should punishem good for max growth
    I use the reverse slingshot method at the moe try you will like

Gucks is offline Member

shoulder workout:
    seated military press
    standing military press
    upright row
    barbell shrugs
    my shoulder workout:
    seated military
    seated laterals
    arnold press
    lying raises (nobody ever knows wht i mean when i say this so i ask if u dont)
    reverse flys on cable crossover
    shrugs

agree with everybody else, 2 many presses ur not workout rear delts at all either!

for lying raises do you mean rear fly delts? (laying into the incline bench a doin flys?)

Thread Information