Rockin Z28 is offline Associate Member

Muscle hypertrophy vs reps..does it really matter?

whats up everyone..i've transdformed my physique over the last few years, using my own methods of training and diet and some anabolics but i've recently been researching the best methods for muscular hypertrophy. I've generally always stuck in the 8 rep range, but many tiems i start out with doing very heavy sets in the 5 rep range. Have any of you taken a step back from trying to push yourselves and lightened the weight and gained additional muscle by doing the 10-12 rep range? I've always kind of felt strength and muscle mass were at least somewhat correlated

BUTTERYGOODNESS is offline Anabolic Member
    this is similar to my thread, hopefully someone will answer

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I really have had good results when I mix the rep ranges in each workout

This is from my log book:

Weighted dips
    Body weight 3 sets warm up, 10-12 reps per set.
    Plus 45 for 3 reps warm up
    Plus 90, 6 reps to failure on positive
    Plus 70, 8 reps failure
    Plus 35, 14 reps failure.

That was my last chest workout, I was done after that and IMO I get the best of all the reps ranges doing so.

Rockin Z28 is offline Associate Member
    thanks terraj, yea i i try to mix it up too, but im one of those people that will worry excessively, am i selling myself short in my training? it will keep me up for hours trying to do additional research lol

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin Z28 View Post
    thanks terraj, yea i i try to mix it up too, but im one of those people that will worry excessively, am i selling myself short in my training? it will keep me up for hours trying to do additional research lol
    Lol, yeah I hear you...but really, keep it simple, if it is not working change it.

You look great in your avi, must be doing something right.

pebble is offline Associate Member

The Wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Just do a pyramide type set scheme on the basic exercises, and keep the others to 8-12.

For example squats: 12-8-6-4 (reps).

nav13 is offline Junior Member
    I always just switch it up every month or month and a half. I'll start doing 5 sets of 6 reps first month then go up to 3 set of 10 reps the following month then 3 sets of 15 reps the next month then back to 5 sets of 6 reps all over again. Just gotta keep switching it up.

Standby is offline ~AR's Nice Guy
    ive been doing 12-10-8 last rep of each set is a failure or like if i did an extra one i know it would only be half a rep

arizona32 is offline Junior Member
    My favorite workout is 2-3 sets at 10-15 reps. Next 5 sets at 5 or less reps. Then use a burnout exercise (dropsets etc.) to finish off the muscle group and get a nice pump. This works well for me. I happened to read an article in a muscle magazine lately that recommended a similar workout because the medium reps warm you up, the heavy sets cause the muscle to get stronger/grow and the burnouts pump blood and nutrients in to start recovery/repair. Don't know how scientific that is, but I have been doing this for years and it works well. I think this type workout is good for mostly fast twitch muscle types. My friends who are more slow twitch do well with lots of volume in middle reps.

Thread Information