shouder workout

Can someone please post good shoulder routine for bulking? Thanks

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    Here's a pretty basic one:

Seated Shoulder Press: 4 sets 8-12 reps
    Front Raises: 4 sets 8-12 reps
    Upright Rows: 4 sets 8-12 reps
    Lateral Raises: 4 sets 8-12 reps

It doesn't get much simpler than that. It may seem bland, but it's really all about the intensity you workout at. There's no miracle routine that will add mass, that fact that you're bulking will depend more on your diet. I'm sure others will post more ideas, but this here is a basic shoulder routine. Some consider 16 sets for shoulders too much, but I'll let you dictate whether that's an issue for you or not. Also, this would assume you're doing your rear delt work on back day (or any other day) if you're not you will have to add some rear delt exercises too.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    ^Solid. May want to drop the front raises though because the front delts get nailed through chest day. That will have to be your judgement though.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    be fvckin careful with raises, stay light or you will most likely run into rotator cuff probs somewhere in the future

nelly is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. Reason I was asking I am trying to figure out if I am overtraining shoulders.
    3 sets of db presses 8-10
    3 sets of db lateral raises 12
    3 sets of cable raises 15
    3 sets of upright rows 10
    3 set of db raises front
    3 sets of smith machine presses in front 10
    3 sets of reverse pec fly for rear delt 10
    3 sets of db shrugs
    3 sets of bb shrugs.
    What can I cut out if too much?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nelly View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Reason I was asking I am trying to figure out if I am overtraining shoulders.
    3 sets of db presses 8-10
    3 sets of db lateral raises 12
    3 sets of cable raises 15
    3 sets of upright rows 10
    3 set of db raises front
    3 sets of smith machine presses in front 10
    3 sets of reverse pec fly for rear delt 10
    3 sets of db shrugs
    3 sets of bb shrugs.
    What can I cut out if too much?
    fvck me, waaaay too much mate!!

or fvck, wait.
    you do realise tht your doing your traps also? this isnt just a shoulder workout mate

nelly is offline Junior Member
    That is why I ask. Is hitting the side delt and front delt with more than one excersise to much?

Blog Entries
    That is why I ask. Is hitting the side delt and front delt with more than one excersise to much?
    i dont do traps with delts for this reason, its a major hit on delts. do traps on back day. and, anyone telling you to do upright rows for delts is WRONG, its 90% traps no matter what the grip

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    i dont do traps with delts for this reason, its a major hit on delts. do traps on back day. and, anyone telling you to do upright rows for delts is WRONG, its 90% traps no matter what the grip
    You've never felt a burn in the front delts from hitting them heavy and with a close grip?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    You've never felt a burn in the front delts from hitting them heavy and with a close grip?
    not particularly, it assists but it isnt the main operator and doesnt go through much range of movement, more liable to be injured in this movement tbh
    Last edited by dec11; 03-20-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    sorry, read this wrong 1st time. no, dont hit these with more than one exercise, pressing movements will have already hit them, raises are only a fine tuning movement to complement

Yes, you use your traps, and more so on a narrow grip. A normal grip will hit your ant. delts more, and a wide grip will hit your medial delts more. I do my traps on back day too, with cleans and deads they really get raped.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    Yes, you use your traps, and more so on a narrow grip. A normal grip will hit your ant. delts more, and a wide grip will hit your medial delts more. I do my traps on back day too, with cleans and deads they really get raped.
    its not 'hitting' them, its being assisted and stabilised by them. big difference. stop all your shoulder work for 12wks and try to rely on upright rows for your delts and report back.

its not 'hitting' them, its being assisted and stabilised by them. big difference. stop all your shoulder work for 12wks and try to rely on upright rows for your delts and report back.
    He's not saying that all you need to do is Upright Rows. It's just a nice addition to your shoulder routine. I respect your opinion and hope you respect mine. If they dont make your delts grow, then I wouldn't be doing them either, different strokes for different folks...

I don't even do upright rows. They don't do it, FOR ME. I would still suggest them as part of a thrown-together basic shoulder routine. For someone asking for a "shoulder routine for bulking" it's pretty obvious that he's not SO experienced at this; which is why I suggested such a basic workout. Let's say hypothetically he stuck to this workout for X amount of weeks. He could then tweak it as he sees fit of course. If they didn't work for him then he can discard him, but it should be presented to him considering the fact it is a pretty tried and true exercise. I'm not arguing that the traps aren't the agonist muscle of the exercise (they are), but I'm arguing the fact that "anyone telling you to do upright rows for delts is WRONG" It's still a movement that many people find very effective at sculpting their delts and I was merely trying to help our friend out.

Blog Entries
    He's not saying that all you need to do is Upright Rows. It's just a nice addition to your shoulder routine. I respect your opinion and hope you respect mine. If they dont make your delts grow, then I wouldn't be doing them either, different strokes for different folks...
    my point is that they arent a delt exercise, theyre a trap exercise, ive been doing them for 18yrs, i think ive got it worked out in tht time lol

Blog Entries
    I don't even do upright rows. They don't do it, FOR ME. I would still suggest them as part of a thrown-together basic shoulder routine. For someone asking for a "shoulder routine for bulking" it's pretty obvious that he's not SO experienced at this; which is why I suggested such a basic workout. Let's say hypothetically he stuck to this workout for X amount of weeks. He could then tweak it as he sees fit of course. If they didn't work for him then he can discard him, but it should be presented to him considering the fact it is a pretty tried and true exercise. I'm not arguing that the traps aren't the agonist muscle of the exercise (they are), but I'm arguing the fact that "anyone telling you to do upright rows for delts is WRONG" It's still a movement that many people find very effective at sculpting their delts and I was merely trying to help our friend out.
    ..... double post, forum kps fvckin freezing
    Last edited by dec11; 03-20-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    well im sorry, but you are wrong, best not to advise upright rows for delts in future. an additional pressing movement like military or behind neck will hit delts properly and alot more than upright rows.

im beginning to give up here, whats the point? ive spent 18yrs training, been an international competitive athlete, have a degree on the subject and worked professionally in this industry but every fvckin time i try to advise someone or point out wrong advice i get it argued down my throat. i just wish some of you would put your ideas behind you and take a bit of advice. ppl like me dont lie
    Last edited by dec11; 03-20-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    opinion has nothing to do with it mate, experience and knowledge of science of movement has.
    look in a mirror and perform the upright row movement and concentrate on squeezing traps, hold at the top, now rotate your arms back and press upwards. where are your delts involved? try the 1st movement squeezing your delts, what happens? i bet your your hands stop travelling roughly below your ribcage

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Depending on your form I think you can activate the posterior delts with upright rows as the muscle is shortening on the concentric part of the movement depending on your form.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    Depending on your form I think you can activate the posterior delts with upright rows as the muscle is shortening on the concentric part of the movement depending on your form.
    yep, i dont dispute that, but it shouldnt be prescribed as a delt exercise, its a trap movement. in short, if someone asked me for an effective exercise for delts, i wouldnt say upright rows. the OP asked for bulking movements for shoulders

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I agree, it wouldnt be an exercise I incorporate on shoulder day.

pebble is offline Associate Member
    not particularly, it assists but it isnt the main operator and doesnt go through much range of movement, more liable to be injured in this movement tbh
    I dont fully agree with you about delts not being hit. But fully agree abou shoulder problems due to upright rows. The limited subacromial space due to internal rotation and flexion of the humerus do pose the risk of impingement or bursitis, even more so in anyone with a type 2 or 3(especially the hooked type) acromion.

well im sorry, but you are wrong, best not to advise upright rows for delts in future. an additional pressing movement like military or behind neck will hit delts properly and alot more than upright rows.

im beginning to give up here, whats the point? ive spent 18yrs training, been an international competitive athlete, have a degree on the subject and worked professionally in this industry but every fvckin time i try to advise someone or point out wrong advice i get it argued down my throat. i just wish some of you would put your ideas behind you and take a bit of advice. ppl like me dont lie
    What I am about to say has to be said after that little rant.

You need to get off your high horse because you are blatantly wrong. Explain to me how the traps cause flexion and abduction of the humerus? The delts cause the flexion and abduction of the humerus as well as the internal rotation of the movement. The traps help to retract and elevate the scapula in this movement. That’s it. The majority of this movement is based off the glenohumeral joint. Without movement at it you would simply be doing a shrug with your average 2-5 inches of range of motion. The action of the deltoid is what allows the RoM to be the other 12 +inches.
    Last edited by pebble; 03-20-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pebble View Post

You need to get off your high horse because you are blatantly wrong. Explain to me how the traps cause flexion and abduction of the humerus? The delts cause the flexion and abduction of the humerus as well as the internal rotation of the movement. The traps help to retract and elevate the scapula in this movement. That’s it. The majority of this movement is based off the glenohumeral joint. Without movement at it you would simply be doing a shrug with your average 2-5 inches of range of motion. The action of the deltoid is what allows the RoM to be the other 12 +inches.
    hey pebble, edit,. im not getting drawn into one of your petty internet rows just because you havent got any other sort of life.

upright rowing is not a delt exercise and shouldnt be prescribed as one PERIOD
    try reading the OP's original fvckin question
    Last edited by dec11; 03-21-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Blog Entries

isnt tht what i said when i said it ASSISTS in the movement. you need to start shutting up and reading before you gob off

No, it's not what you said. You said the upright row is a trap focused movement. It isn’t, it is a deltoid focused movement which can easily be explained by amount of weight used for the different movements. Let’s see you upright row the same weight you shrug with.

And you still haven’t explained to me how the traps cause flexion and abduction of the humerus? Stumped? Common, give it a shot.

Blog Entries
    No, it's not what you said. You said the upright row is a trap focused movement. It isn’t, it is a deltoid focused movement which can easily be explained by amount of weight used for the different movements. Let’s see you upright row the same weight you shrug with.

And you still haven’t explained to me how the traps cause flexion and abduction of the humerus? Stumped? Common, give it a shot.
    edit, upright rowing is a trap movement, assisted by delts and biceps, it is for neither bis or delts, ITS FOR TRAPS. now go away you retard, get a life ffs!! you really are a an irritating cvnt, how did your mother manage not to fvckin drown you?!

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHH

LOL

Sorry

edit, upright rowing is a trap movement, assisted by delts and biceps, it is for neither bis or delts, ITS FOR TRAPS. now go away you retard, get a life ffs!! you really are a an irritating cvnt, how did your mother manage not to fvckin drown you?!
    Can you explain the purpose of the movement about the glenohumeral joint than? It causes zero action on the traps, and presents the issue of decreased overload of the traps.

Thread Information