PowerliftWill is offline Junior Member

Building the mid/upper back above, to the sides, and below scapula

hey guys im having a really tough time getting my upper back to grow. I mean it's terrible. my lats and traps or pretty developed and wide, lower back as well, but everything else BLOWS. I mean it looks horrible compared to the rest of my body. A front pic looks amazing, but from the back I look terrible. IDK if im just not using strict form on rows, or not bending over enough. But it's effecting my posture as well as my ability to grow the rest of my body. Especially my chest since it's the push/pull motion. IDK how I let it get this far without paying much attention to it, but it MUST change. Any info would be appreciated.

pebble is offline Associate Member
    Pronate your grip for almost all horizontal pulling exercises for a while. Utilize smaller movements like face pulls, and reverse fly (but make sure you are either perfectly vertical or horizontal depending on what modality you use). Specifically for below the scapula try doing Y's while actively depressing the scapula. You need to use a light weight, something that you do not really struggle with until you learn how to activate your lower traps without compensating with any other muscles (usually the upper traps).

And a quick question: Do you tend to get a lot of bicep work when doing most of your back exercises (read: do you feel it in your arms more than your back)?

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by pebble View Post
    Pronate your grip for almost all horizontal pulling exercises for a while. Utilize smaller movements like face pulls, and reverse fly (but make sure you are either perfectly vertical or horizontal depending on what modality you use). Specifically for below the scapula try doing Y's while actively depressing the scapula. You need to use a light weight, something that you do not really struggle with until you learn how to activate your lower traps without compensating with any other muscles (usually the upper traps).

And a quick question: Do you tend to get a lot of bicep work when doing most of your back exercises (read: do you feel it in your arms more than your back)?
    +1

I'll never understand the ego to first try a movement with a ton of weight. Always start light, get that mind/muscle going then up the weight.
    ***No source checks!!!***

PowerliftWill is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pebble View Post

Yes my bicepts do get a good amount of the work but I believe it is because I wasnt using good form. I've been doing face pulls and other accessory work with lighter weight and I seem to be sore right in scapula area. I just needed to drop the weight and focus on form.

pebble is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerliftWill View Post
    Yes my bicepts do get a good amount of the work but I believe it is because I wasnt using good form. I've been doing face pulls and other accessory work with lighter weight and I seem to be sore right in scapula area. I just needed to drop the weight and focus on form.
    It may be your form like you have mentioned or it could just be the way your motor recruitment occurs (some rely heavy on biceps others back). In either case if you are starting to feel it in the right places you are likely starting to address the issue. Keep it up and see if when you move into your bigger movements you can still get the same level of activation. If not you need to make sure to keep paying extra attention to the smaller movements or drop the weight some more.

Good luck,
    pebble

Thread Information