EnVus Chick is offline New Member

Should girls and guys work out differently?

my bf and i had this argument today about my workout being too manly. i found this very offensive. what are your thoughts?

RaZr is offline Member
    Your both humans right? Nothing wrong with you wanting to be an animal! He just doesn't want you to out lift him!

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    my thought...unless using steriods , a chix cant physicaly get to jacked like a guy, and will still look like a lady. Sure a lady can look tone and defined but I have not seen serious bulk on a natural girl before. (altho some times our cha-chas melt prob cuz of fat loss)

I have seen some weight machines buff guys leave the weights set, and I have to increase the weight by 100lbs when I hope on and I am by far not manly.
    lol-maybe your doing the same stuff as his but better and its p1ssing him off

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    @Razr baahahahaha posted same time and siad same thing...maybe we are on ta something

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    imo i dont see a problem having a manly workout..its working out the same muscles..but since you lack the hormones you wont produce results like a man would but could build a very sexy physique

GZA
    GZA is offline Junior Member
    There's basically 2 things you can focus on when working out, gaining muscle and loosing fat.
    Many girls work out the way they do due to misinformation. They think little 1 lb dumbells will "tone" for instance. But that's not the case. To me, toning means loosing a little fat and gaining a little muscle. Unless you're on gear its basically impossible for a girl to become very "buff" so there's no need to minimize the effectiveness of your weight training by purposely attempting to hinder this by using tiny weights. It may "seem" more feminine because that's what 90plus percent of girls do, but truthfully 90 plus percent of women (and men) are fairly ignorant about exactly what it takes to most effectively get results. When you train for muscle, by all means go all out so you don't waste your time doing ineffective workouts. Even female fitness models use gear (albeit lightly compared to female bodybuilders and most guys would consider their physiques as being "hot" so assuming you don't use gear there's 0 percent danger your workouts will ever give you muscles that are "too big" or make you look "manly", no matter how hard you train and no matter how perfect your diet. Essentially all that hard work and deddication will just make you look "better" in most males minds. Most likely I'm guessing your boyfriend isn't really that informed when it comes to fitness... In fact I tell my girl the exact opposite, NOT to train like a girl because she wants to look better faster without wasting her time on usless workouts. Human muscle tissue (and fat cells) responds to the same things, guy or girl.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    it depends on what your goals are

devildog1967 is offline Associate Member
    My wife is my training partner .. And is stronger that alot of men at only 76k .. She even spots me when i do 200k bench press as i dont trust anyone else

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    it depends on what your goals are
    Could you elaborate please Gixxer?
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Could you elaborate please Gixxer?
    well different exercises and mainly rep schemes play a major part in how the muscle will turn out...just my .02

EnVus Chick is offline New Member
    well he thinks i should be doing 10-20 reps lighter weights but, i feel like a wimp doing lighter weights and i want to gain a little muscle. awesome thoughts guys!

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    thread you might enjoy reading....

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...e#.Tn00thw0i6Y
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

devildog1967 is offline Associate Member
    My mrs loves low rep high weight as she like to see some muscle so she can gauge her self.. she rotates between high and low rep to have both benefits. It put some men to shame when she lifts more and has better form than most men .

The_Irish_Dave is offline Junior Member
    Yeah it does depend on your goals. If you want to gain a lot of muscle you'll need to lift heavy weights. Simple as that. But you'll end up looking buff of course. If you want to look more feminine and hang onto that classic female look then yeah you can train the same but you could maybe limit your upper body weights to a certain amount and concentrate more on your squats or lunges and deadlifts for a great ass and legs. That way you can have a nice slim curvy body without getting really big shoulders and looking manly. This is only a suggestion and I don't know what you want to look like so don't take any offence.

yogiart is offline Junior Member
    In the past, I've always trained with my wife. That made her push herself a lot more than if she trained alone. Now that she left her work, we are planning on training together again. I don't see anything wrong with that. We don't have to use the same weights but we do the same WO routine.

Twin is offline Associate Member
    sounds like you need a new bf. seems like he doesnt have much knowledge on bodybuilding...
    Last edited by Twin; 10-20-2011 at 02:56 AM.

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    Well....your referring to your "workout" being "manly" as opposed to the effects...as some have miscontrued.....and...no....you workout as hard....as the boys!!!

If you feel girly with light weights and wanna push more...all the power to you. As long as form isn't compromised.

I say...Go Hard...or Go Home! For all working out....to each individual. If going hard to you is 20 lbs...than good. If going hard is 200 lbs...than good!

With your attitude...you'll have an amazing physique...with or without supplements.

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I have heard this question before and always wondered what people would have women do to work their biceps than curls? How would you work your chest other than bench (or similar movement)? I don't even know of a different way to work out.

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    It so depends on what each of you want. Of course it's fine that a girl works out same as a guy (routine, intensity, etc). But, true story, I personal trained my gf at the time, she worked out with me, did my routine on the days she worked with me, and she developed "man-arms". We have a photo somewhere and she totally has a guy's bicep. She isn't big.. at the time 5'4", 115lbs. Then she saw a photo and was like "is that me!?" Didn't like it, so she stopped working out with me and did more of a lower weight, higher reps tone type and regained her girl arms.. tone and fit looking but not bulging muscles. I agree with her though, just personal preference, that we both like fit girl look rather than muscle girl look.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigirl View Post
    Well....your referring to your "workout" being "manly" as opposed to the effects...as some have miscontrued.....and...no....you workout as hard....as the boys!!!

If you feel girly with light weights and wanna push more...all the power to you. As long as form isn't compromised.

I say...Go Hard...or Go Home! For all working out....to each individual. If going hard to you is 20 lbs...than good. If going hard is 200 lbs...than good!

With your attitude...you'll have an amazing physique...with or without supplements.
    Amen to this one!! Go Hard... or Go Home! lol. This post from Kawigirl about sums up this thread.

Thread Information