oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member

Cramps during cardio

Lately, I get cramps in my sides while doing cardio. Is it a diet thing? Not enough/too much hydration? I drink water during my entire workout.

V-ROID is offline Member
    That is your HTFU (Harden The Fvck Up!) reflex. J/K

Copied from elsewhere:

First, it is still a big mystery to many physiologists and doctors as to what is the real cause of stomach cramps. The experts have theorized that the common side stitch is caused by the exertion that running and bouncing forces inside the abdominal walls. Basically, your stomach and other organs - like the spleen and liver - bump into each other as your feet jar the ground causing connective tissue to stretch on the nerves and cause pain. This connective tissue is also attached to your diaphragm which helps with breathing. This pain is usually on the right side and just under the ribs. Exercise like horseback riding, running, and sit-ups are common causes of the side stitch.

Ways to Prevent or Lessen the Pain of the Common Side Stitch:

1) Do not Run on a Full Stomach

You shouldn't drink large amounts of water or eat 2-4 hours before exercise. Sip small amounts (1-2 swallows) before and during exercise and wait to fully re-hydrate until after the workout. Dehydration can cause cramping as well, so do not ignore water/Gatorade during running. Always sip a few swallows at regular intervals if running for more than 30 minutes and in hot temperatures.

2) Decrease Pace and Breath Deeply

Decrease fast pace for a few minutes and continue deep breathing techniques during running. A common running sequence is a three step inhale and two step exhale pattern. Slowing down your pace will allow for you to keep up with that pattern. As you increase to near maximum speed, your breathing will become more labored. However, you can push through the pain and keep your pace if you concentrate on breathing deep by pushing your stomach out when you inhale and relaxing it as you exhale.

3) Pre-Stretch With Side Torso Twists

Pre-stretch before running by doing side torso twists. One of the best ways to pre-stretch the area is to lift your arms over your head and lean to the left and right at the waist.

4) Perform Lower Back and Abdominal Exercises
    Having a strong core will help you prevent the side stitch.

Maybe I've just got too much water sloshin' around in there causing strain... I had always heard it was low potassium, or not enough salt - or too much water or not enough... I never thought it was actual strain on the organs themselves.

V-ROID is offline Member
    Yah me either and still not sure if I am going with that explanation.

Maybe I just need some Pamprin.

V-ROID is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    Maybe I just need some Pamprin.
    Haha! Don't knock it til you try it... Seriously.

Thread Information