auswest is offline Banned
    Blog Entries

Body parts 2x a week ?

Has anyone here trained each body part twice a week while on cycle?
    I have constructed a workout giving 72hrs between doing the body part again on a 6 day w/out.
    I would like to take advantage of this cycle, to try push my own boundaries. And see how far I can go without over training
    If it does not workout I'll simply cut it back. I've just noticed the whole over training thing gets thrown around alot. Personally this would not be possible for me off cycle, but with the recovery on cycle I'm going.to give it a crack. Currently stocking up on plenty of intra and post w/out recovery supps to aid in this, if it makes a difference at all.
    It's time to find out what my body can and can't do for myself, I will not be going too heavy with a strong focus on form and muscle connection. Approx 12-8 sets per body part depending on size of muscle group in the 8-12 rep range.
    Last thing I want is an injury so the whole form over weight rule will be my main focus.

With strong nutrition and plenty of rest hopefully all gos well. It's a shame I work a manual labor type job 12 hours a day 14 days straight with every 3rd week off. And I start a new job (same working hours/roster) so a little bit to deal with.
    Would love to be able to cycle and not have to work the whole time,that's my dream in the next few years.

So anyone trained body parts twice weekly, I want to hear your story of how it went for you.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have implemented both once a week and twice a week routines in the past and hitting the targeted muscle group(s) really hard with either the highest amount of volume or intensity possible generated better results.

It sure makes sense to train each body part twice a week while on cycle since pace of recovery, motivation and aggression are all through the roof. But then, will you really want to go back and train your legs only after 4 days from the previous workout, especially if the workout has been hell-like, meaning very heavy/intense on the muscle group and very sour for the following 3-4 days?

Coleman trained each body part twice a week throughout his career, most likely with the idea in mind that maximizing growth was possible with such a strict diet, use of gear and immense workouts, but then, we are no Coleman.

On a last note, I am a firm believer that risk of injury naturally increases when you go very heavy on a muscle group twice a week as opposed to once a week. May be the potential outcome of further growth is not worth taking the risk of a possible tendon injury.

I would still give it a shot and see how it works for you, as no advice can possibly beat actual human experience that comes from trial and error.

ac guy is offline Associate Member
    I go with working each part once a week for 2 weeks, then do a week of each group twice. I rest for a complete week every 9 weeks. I'm not on gear though

Blog Entries
    I'll see how it goes guys, looking forward too it, legs is the only body part I'm doing once a week, except calfs I hit them twice. Taking measurements today along with my first shot, will update this in the future with hopefully some good news!

Bevsta123 is offline Member
    What's your routine I'd you don't mind saying?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevsta123
    What's your routine I'd you don't mind saying?
    Subscribe, I'll get around to typing it up and posting it some time soon when I am at my computer.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    if you 2x a group per week, then you only have 3 groups you can work. assuming limitations on the cni, then you can either cut back on the extent of what you do per muscle group, or increase the amount of time in the gym to compensate.

my cni is not at the top of it's game anymore, which is why only 1x week for me

Blog Entries
    Ive set it up like this:

Monday - chest (upper focus)/bis abs
    Tuesday - Shoulders (front focus)/tris
    Wednesday - Back abs
    Thursday - Chest (lower focus)/bis
    Friday - Legs abs
    Saturday - Shoulder (rear focus)/tris + upper back focus
    Sunday - Off

Ive tryed playing around with it so im not working muscle groups 2 days in a row, i understand im hitting tris day after chest, and bis the day after back. will see how i go with that.
    The only other way i could see it was a push/pull/legs off push/pull/legs off...anyone have experience with this?
    Last edited by auswest; 05-08-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Beroo is offline Junior Member
    Just know that not all your muscles will respond the same. For example, I could hit my back and legs twice a week because they don't take too long to recover and their genetically my stronger muscles. But I wouldn't be able to train chest twice a week. I mean I could but the results wouldn't be different from training it once a week.

guitario is offline Associate Member
    It could work better I believe if you either focus on say 2/3 muscle groups twice a week, such as your weak links. Or train one heavy day and one light day so not to tax yourself so much.

Another alternative to this approach, is to hit one body part two days in a row, or once in am, once in pm. You could set it out like this..

Monday - Chest (compound movements) 6 reps.
    Tuesday - isolation movements 12 reps.

or

Monday am - Chest (compound movement) 6 reps
    Monday pm - Chest (Isolation movements) 12 reps

The idea that instead of splitting say 12 sets into two workouts (6 each), you hit both splits with 9 sets thus making 18 in total.

You wouldn't do this every week, but for a shock week or just to experiment it's worth a go. It feels horrid training on a freshly sore muscle but by the end of the session the pump will be unbelievable.

I have done this on Chest and shoulders but I wouldn't be able to do it with legs or back.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Looking at all the replies above, I reach a conclusion that hitting a muscle group really hard once a week is the simpler solution.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all, I will revise my proposed workout

Thread Information