Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Decline Barbell Bench Press - can't unrack the weight...

Looking for some insight as to what I might be lacking - stabilizers or otherwise - which would result in this problem. Let me explain:

I am having a terrible time lifting the weight off the rests on decline bench press. I did a few warmup sets, etc. no problem. My working set was 255lbs. I lifted the weight off the rests (remember the angel now... the bar is tilted 'back' sort of behind me) but could not for the life of me bring it forward to the starting position. 3 times I tried, and failed. It felt like a combo of weakness/pain in my elbow joints as well as the 'inside elbow' ligaments/tendons. I don't believe it's a strength issue with pecs as after my 3rd attempt, I asked somebody to assist me with unracking it and was able to get 12 clean reps with no spot. What do you think? Does anybody else have a problem with this? Most people I know say decline bench is their strongest (as opposed to flat/incline), but i'm definitely stronger on flat and I think it may have to do with the effort I exert in trying to get the fckin weight off the rests and into proper starting position!!!

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Are you sure you are back far enough toward the bar supports? When I am properly located on the bench I have to twist both my back and neck and still struggle to get my big ass swollen head past the bar to get underneath it, PS this is with the part that supports your legs all the way out which is as far away from the supports as it will go and I am only 6.1. I used to bitch about this saying the bench sucked but a trainer who I trust at my gym pointed out that if I was further away from the supports then I would be a lot more likely to injure my shoulders unracking the bar.
    Last edited by Far from massive; 10-22-2012 at 08:46 AM.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Never had that problem but why not try dumbells?

Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    Are you sure you are back far enough toward the bar supports? When I am properly located on the bench I have to twist both my back and neck and still struggle to get my big ass swollen head past the bar to get underneath it, PS this is with the part that supports your legs all the way out which is as far away from the supports as it will go and I am only 6.1. I used to bitch about this saying the bench sucked but a trainer who I trust at my gym pointed out that if I was further away from the supports then I would be a lot more likely to injure my shoulders unracking the bar.
    Lmao!

I'm not sure our benches are similar. I haven't checked purposely but I don't believe the leg support section is adjustable. So basically wherever that is dictates where I lay on the bench. Does seem strange though seeing as we're all different heights. I'll check it out tomorrow for sure and follow up here, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Never had that problem but why not try dumbells?
    I do switch it up from time to time. Dumbbells aren't a problem - i'm usually putting up 100's - 110's for a good 8-10 reps. Decent for me.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    I have the same problem on our decline bench m8... It's just an awkward position

Go for dumbells anyway on the decline otherwise the ROM is really shortened...

I think this is perfectly natural when ur using near ur max weight for dec bench as for you to unrack the bar and get it above ur lower chest is like doing a partial rep pullover and in ur case ur pullover power is lower than ur dec bench.... Makes any sence?
    So just get so to get u to the starting position!
    Last edited by Mr_Prop_var_Testen; 10-22-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have always had the same problem. I dont know if it is the shoulder positionin or what but it has always been difficult. I often will have a spotter break it for me when going heavier. Then I can push out 10 reps unassisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Prop_var_Testen View Post
    I think this is perfectly natural when ur using near ur max weight for dec bench as for you to unrack the bar and get it above ur lower chest is like doing a partial rep pullover and in ur case ur pullover power is lower than ur dec bench.... Makes any sence?
    So just get so to get u to the starting position!
    It does make sense, and I would agree with you other than in my case - the fact that I got 12 clean reps tells me 255lbs is nowhere near close to max for me. If this were 315lbs I wouldn't even attempt unracking it myself. You're right, it's sort of a wide grip partial pullover - and more than twice the weight I normally do pullovers for, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    I have always had the same problem. I dont know if it is the shoulder positionin or what but it has always been difficult. I often will have a spotter break it for me when going heavier. Then I can push out 10 reps unassisted.
    Exactly. I guess it's not the worst thing in the world to have somebody help you unrack it. But one of my 'side goals' has been to get completely independent in the gym, i.e. no spotters, etc. I'm trying to live by the 'if I can't lift it myself, then I don't use it' motto. But just won't work for decline bench.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    It does make sense, and I would agree with you other than in my case - the fact that I got 12 clean reps tells me 255lbs is nowhere near close to max for me. If this were 315lbs I wouldn't even attempt unracking it myself. You're right, it's sort of a wide grip partial pullover - and more than twice the weight I normally do pullovers for, lol.

Exactly. I guess it's not the worst thing in the world to have somebody help you unrack it. But one of my 'side goals' has been to get completely independent in the gym, i.e. no spotters, etc. I'm trying to live by the 'if I can't lift it myself, then I don't use it' motto. But just won't work for decline bench.
    Believe me I am the same way. I never workout with others and never get a spot. If I cant do it myself then I dont do it. But I feel that is one lift that is compromised with this mindset so I will ask someone just to break the weight and then they can walk away

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    Believe me I am the same way. I never workout with others and never get a spot. If I cant do it myself then I dont do it. But I feel that is one lift that is compromised with this mindset so I will ask someone just to break the weight and then they can walk away
    Agreed. Sometimes we have to swallow our pride in an effort to reach the bigger goal.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You can simulate and strengthen this part of any bench (incline, flat, decline) movement by standing facing the lat machine with the wide lat pull bar attached. You don't need a bunch of weight but hold the lat bar with your bench press grip width. Now without bending your elbows simulate the unracking of the bar by pushing down on the lat bar from about eye level down about a foot. You should only be moving the bar about 12 inches or so. It should look like a wide grip stiff arm push down. Do a couple sets of 8-10 reps at the end of your chest work. You'll be much stronger and confident unracking on the bench.

Thread Information