Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Perseverance1 is offline Banned

Shoulder Pain on cycle.......NEED HELP

So last week on shoulder day I hurt my shoulder...not sure how as I was just starting my warm-up sets but either way my right shoulder hurts and I can't do much with it.

What I am wondering is what can I do to help speed up the healing process and what exercises should I try out on chest day?

I'm already replacing my shoulder day with a second leg day for the week..but I would love to work my chest as well if possible.

I also bought a large quantity of the fairly new peptide TB500 to help with the healing process (Still need to get it in the mail though)

Should I Apply heat, Ice, both??? Is there any sort of shoulder brace I could maybe purchase to help? I am hoping I don't take more than 2 weeks to heal...but it hurts pretty bad right now.....any and all help is appreciated!

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    You can apply ice in the evenings.

But if you really want it to heal properly, you must take your shoulders completely out of your exercises - this mean no chest, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    You can apply ice in the evenings.

But if you really want it to heal properly, you must take your shoulders completely out of your exercises - this mean no chest, seriously.
    I guess I'm going to do that then... Do you think getting a massage from one of the physical therapists at the gym would be beneficial?

Will heat help at all or make it worse?

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    I would not waste my money on a massage for my shoulder.

Heat is for losing up, and ice is to reduce inflammation.

ma_fighter is offline Associate Member
    Depends on what happened, generally when you hurt your shoulders, atleast in my experience, its the small muscles that get buggered.
    IE, the rotators, and they can be a reeeeeeal pain in the ass to get to heal!
    What movement hurts?

#1 if you have your arm hanging at the side, then bend it at the elbow into an L shape, does it hurt to rotate inwards with a bit of resistance (against a wall or doorpost or similar)
    #2 Same thing, but rotating outwards
    #3 Lifting your arm straight out to the side
    #4 Lift it forward, in front of your body, then turn your hand as if emptying a cup, so your thumb faces down. Have someone press GENTLY downwards, and try to resist.

An inflamed, of torn rotator can take, and Im not kidding here, years to fully heal if not treated properly, or if further abused!
    You can also get partial tears, or even splits, of your lat-delt.

Be really really careful, and any exercises you do in the future, while fully healed, ALWAYS keep your shoulders down, and back. This helps a great deal in preventing further injuries.
    Also never skip on working your rotators, and when doing so do it with very very light weights.

Take it from me, cortisone shots finally made me able to start rehabing my shoulder after 6 months, and now I can start putting tension on it.

I'd also not get any massage till I know for sure what's broken if I were you

Good luck mate
    /Maf

Oh, and the pain is present when I wake up (not too bad) because I sleep on my sides but it goes away after a couple hours (about 95% gone)

Well, right now just about any movement causes a little discomfort. Will I still be able to work back and arms? Does anyone have some good lifts for those body parts that I can do with a slightly injured rotator cuff?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

I wouldnt do chest, triceps or back, and only do concentration biceps when your arm is properly supported, actually I wouldnt do anything at all till I knew exactly whats wrong..
    You dont know the world of utter shit you could get yourself into if you put tension on, and fully tear, something thats only partly broken.

Seriously, I know a guy at my job who will never, ever, retain more then *at most* 75% mobility and strength in his shoulder, and that is after years of surgery and being home from work.
    He spent almost half a year having his wife bathe, clothe and wipe his ass for him after the first surgery (not making this up, he couldnt wipe his bottom himself), and this happened because he went back to work after the dock told him to stay home for 6-10 weeks due to a partial tear.
    He made it through a day on painkillers, lift his hand to scratch his head and *POP* His planned life down the shitter in an instant..

His wife was expecting their 2nd child, he was gonna buy a house, now he had to sell his car and move to a smaller apartment to even afford putting food on the table for his family.

Dont risk it, you'll loose perhaps a week of your cycle if you dont work out and it turns out to be nothing serious (whoopda bif effin deal in the long run), but you can loose a friggin whole lot more if you dont have it looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by ma_fighter View Post
    I wouldnt do chest, triceps or back, and only do concentration biceps when your arm is properly supported, actually I wouldnt do anything at all till I knew exactly whats wrong..
    You dont know the world of utter shit you could get yourself into if you put tension on, and fully tear, something thats only partly broken.

Seriously, I know a guy at my job who will never, ever, retain more then *at most* 75% mobility and strength in his shoulder, and that is after years of surgery and being home from work.
    He spent almost half a year having his wife bathe, clothe and wipe his ass for him after the first surgery (not making this up, he couldnt wipe his bottom himself), and this happened because he went back to work after the dock told him to stay home for 6-10 weeks due to a partial tear.
    He made it through a day on painkillers, lift his hand to scratch his head and *POP* His planned life down the shitter in an instant..

His wife was expecting their 2nd child, he was gonna buy a house, now he had to sell his car and move to a smaller apartment to even afford putting food on the table for his family.

Dont risk it, you'll loose perhaps a week of your cycle if you dont work out and it turns out to be nothing serious (whoopda bif effin deal in the long run), but you can loose a friggin whole lot more if you dont have it looked at.
    Because of this story I think I'll take the week off to heal. I will go to the doctor but I highly doubt they will be helpful....I use the military medical system here (I'm a contractor) and so the chances of getting someone intelligent is pretty small...

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Lots of great advice already. Unfortunately the best therapy is rest. Some peptides and anti-inflammatories may alleviate pain and assist with healing but not much will replace the benefits of rest.

One of the most common factors of injuries is improper form. I see guys daily in the gym and their form is terrible on many exercises. Too much weight on the lift, poor isolation of target muscles, not enough isolation of muscles that should not be engaged, etc. if you can't isolate the movement with the target muscles, reduce the weight until you have developed enough strength to lift properly and accurately. You'll grow more and avoid injuries with proper technique and isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    Lots of great advice already. Unfortunately the best therapy is rest. Some peptides and anti-inflammatories may alleviate pain and assist with healing but not much will replace the benefits of rest.

One of the most common factors of injuries is improper form. I see guys daily in the gym and their form is terrible on many exercises. Too much weight on the lift, poor isolation of target muscles, not enough isolation of muscles that should not be engaged, etc. if you can't isolate the movement with the target muscles, reduce the weight until you have developed enough strength to lift properly and accurately. You'll grow more and avoid injuries with proper technique and isolation.
    You're absolutely right and sadly I knew this was a risk but decided to take it anyway (too much weight over the last week)...it also sucks because my lifting partner has been gone for the last week and won't be back for another month...he would always help me with my form and make sure my shits in check.

I'll hopefully get seen at the doctors office tomorrow and at least get some mobic....damn this blows.

Think I should have a quad, hammy, and calf day (separate) next week since all I can do is legs? I hate not being in the gym. At the very least I'll be running or something....

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseverance1

You're absolutely right and sadly I knew this was a risk but decided to take it anyway (too much weight over the last week)...it also sucks because my lifting partner has been gone for the last week and won't be back for another month...he would always help me with my form and make sure my shits in check.

I'll hopefully get seen at the doctors office tomorrow and at least get some mobic....damn this blows.

Think I should have a quad, hammy, and calf day (separate) next week since all I can do is legs? I hate not being in the gym. At the very least I'll be running or something....
    Absolutely. No reason not to hit those wheels HARD!!!

Shoulder definitely doesn't feel any better today..........I'm trying not to use my entire right arm for anything to help heal it...pretty much all movements cause discomfort. I'll be going to the doc later today if I can get an appointment.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Saltydog87 is offline New Member
    Deca ?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog87 View Post
    Deca?
    Hah...any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog87 View Post
    Deca?
    Hah...any other ideas?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Just got back from the doctor...she said she thinks I strained part of my rotator cuff (somewhere on the back part). I couldn't really understand her that well due to her poor english but she gave me celebrex and valium...anyone else got ideas on what else I should do for a strained muscle?

I can't really be sure but I think it may be a tad more serious than a strain though so I am going to play it safe...

Yeah, def play it safe bro.
    The muscles in the rotator are tiiiiiny and very prone to injury.
    All you can do now is rest and let it heal, this will most likely take a while.
    And when you eventually get back to training, be very easy on your shoulders, and do exercises to strengthen the rotators.

Find out what exercises work for you, and which ones you have to skip or modify. Do this with a light weight and a spotter.

I can give you a few examples of what I've had to do:

Benchpress
    Cant go very heavy anymore, and all my lifts have to be to my sternum. I also dont go too deep, I try to stop when my elbows are in line with my shoulders, and not let them drop below this point.

Shoulderpress
    Wont even work every time, but when they do I do 'em sliiiighly in front of my body, using a position with a bit less incline then usual.

Flys
    Flat on the floor every time! That way I cant overextend, this also feels better then benchpress on my shoulder.

Side lat raise
    Theese hurt quite often, so I tend to do.. upright rows? can that be what its called? I pull dumbbells up towards my chin, stopping before my elbows go above my shoulders.

And always ALWAYS keep shoulders back and down.

Poor posture also have a negative impact on shoulders, If you've done too much Pecs in your days so your shoulders are hunched over, or rolled forward, this puts your shoulder in a bad position. Should this be the case, then you need to back off doing pecs, and build up your back to get your muscles balanced properly.

I hope you get better soon man, keeping fingers crossed it's nothing too serious!
    /Maf

Quote Originally Posted by ma_fighter View Post
    Yeah, def play it safe bro.
    The muscles in the rotator are tiiiiiny and very prone to injury.
    All you can do now is rest and let it heal, this will most likely take a while.
    And when you eventually get back to training, be very easy on your shoulders, and do exercises to strengthen the rotators.

Find out what exercises work for you, and which ones you have to skip or modify. Do this with a light weight and a spotter.

I can give you a few examples of what I've had to do:

Benchpress
    Cant go very heavy anymore, and all my lifts have to be to my sternum. I also dont go too deep, I try to stop when my elbows are in line with my shoulders, and not let them drop below this point.

Shoulderpress
    Wont even work every time, but when they do I do 'em sliiiighly in front of my body, using a position with a bit less incline then usual.

Flys
    Flat on the floor every time! That way I cant overextend, this also feels better then benchpress on my shoulder.

Side lat raise
    Theese hurt quite often, so I tend to do.. upright rows? can that be what its called? I pull dumbbells up towards my chin, stopping before my elbows go above my shoulders.

And always ALWAYS keep shoulders back and down.

Poor posture also have a negative impact on shoulders, If you've done too much Pecs in your days so your shoulders are hunched over, or rolled forward, this puts your shoulder in a bad position. Should this be the case, then you need to back off doing pecs, and build up your back to get your muscles balanced properly.

I hope you get better soon man, keeping fingers crossed it's nothing too serious!
    /Maf

Thanks bro, I'm def gonna play it safe...screw my cycle I am much more worried about the long
    Term than the short term...

I'm not going to try and lift anything until mid next week at the earliest (if it feels good).

What I would like is if someone knows some good exercises that don't put any strain on the shoulder...anything for arms, back, or chest would be very very helpful.

It's been a few days now with zero changes in my condition...I haven't worked out anything other than legs...and I do little to nothing with my entire right arm throughout the day. Am I being impatient or should I maybe go back to the doctor and get seen by a physical therapist? I just want to get back to doing what I love......

My rotator has been healing for the past 8 months, and it's still not 100%, and I didn't even hurt it very much...

A physical therapist can probably tell exactly what injury you've got, recommend exercises you could do WHEN they no longer hurt after you do 'em. And also tell you what not to do. He or she will determine this by Palpitation, and by using a few of the tests I listed earlier in this thread, and probably a few more.

A doc can give you a magnetic x-ray.. cat scan? dunno what it's called in english, but that'll allow him to see soft tissue, or even an ultrasound can be helpful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotator-cuff-repair-series.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	130402

As you can see there's not much room inside the shoulder for everything to move about, should any muscle become inflamed/irritated and swollen.
    The shoulder is also a complex joint with allot of tendons and muscles which can get injured, so it's best to let someone educated find out exactly whats wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotator-cuff-repair-series-2.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	130403

This is a partial tear, and can be repaired *with surgery*

Go see a phys therapist, and if he/she thinks you should, then go se a doc again.

Good luck bro, keep us updated

/Maf
    Last edited by ma_fighter; 12-11-2012 at 06:45 PM.

I didn't have any pain when I woke up today...but it still gives me discomfort to lift anything or do certain motions with it.

I plan on waiting to resume training until 1 full week after I go a full day without any pain...that + TB500 should hopefully do the trick for me.

Awesome to hear man, keeping my fingers crossed it's nothing serious =)

Still no progress it would seem.....been SMASHING my wheels though...gonna take 2 days off and hit them again. I've been alternating between big quad days and big hammy/glute days. I work calves every time.

How many sets should I be doing while on a legs only protocol? I do light weight 12-15 reps and really focus on contractions....suggestions anyone?

sc2only is offline Junior Member
    I recently had this. I took 2 months off completely and only did workouts in which i didnt need my arms. Dont even work unless you have desk job. Im not kidding. I took off 2 weeks and didnt work out for a 2 months or so. Dont lift at all.

Thread Information