evander87 is offline Senior Member

Lower back pumps???

So I do my compound lifts deads and squats but I must say I get debilitating lower back pumps before I feel I get a good leg workout in. I'm pushing 3/4g test e a week and Stane. I've tried potassium and taruine but still feel it in my lower back before crushing the legs. Anything I can do / take to really get effective leg workouts?

PS drinking 2 gallons of water a day and my gym doesn't have a decent leg extension or leg curl machine.

tank6972 is offline New Member
    you're most likely straining your back during your dead lifts and squats, from either just incorrect form or to much weight. You want to make sure you are not rounding your back the entire motion to ensure the weight is being applied through your spine and not on it. What i do is just try and keep my head up looking towards the ceiling because where the head looks the neck will follow allow with your spine, hopfully taking the pressure off of your back.

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    pumps or pain

hamstrings are huge culprit for lower back pain

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tank6972 View Post
    you're most likely straining your back during your dead lifts and squats, from either just incorrect form or to much weight. You want to make sure you are not rounding your back the entire motion to ensure the weight is being applied through your spine and not on it. What i do is just try and keep my head up looking towards the ceiling because where the head looks the neck will follow allow with your spine, hopfully taking the pressure off of your back.
    The last part of your post is good but deadlift is a lower back workout as well. He also said he's getting a pump which means he's doing the exercise right. As far as the debilitating try stretching before and after. Do you stretch your lower back?

mbreti is offline New Member
    How deep do you go in on your deads? Unless you're really sitting into them it's primarily a back exercise from what I know...

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93

The last part of your post is good but deadlift is a lower back workout as well. He also said he's getting a pump which means he's doing the exercise right. As far as the debilitating try stretching before and after. Do you stretch your lower back?
    Yes I stretch sometimes in between sets.

If we can remove deadlifts from the discussion and focus on squats. I get pumps (NOT pain) in my lower back before I feel like my legs are getting a good workout.

I guess an analogy would be doing lifts and your forearms get so pumped you can do lifts any more so you compensate by using lifting straps. Removing your forearm and grip strength from the lift.

Is leg press my only option?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    I have had similar issues when going heavy with deads, I find if i lay on the floor for afew min between sets it significantly reduces the pump/strain on my ower back and can begin the next set with very little discomfort. I think it may have to do with relieving the strain from simply holding you straight while standing or sitting after the set, because even just sitting and resting didnt relieve that feeling of pump and burn. try it.

Moto

Quote Originally Posted by MotoLifter
    I have had similar issues when going heavy with deads, I find if i lay on the floor for afew min between sets it significantly reduces the pump/strain on my ower back and can begin the next set with very little discomfort. I think it may have to do with relieving the strain from simply holding you straight while standing or sitting after the set, because even just sitting and resting didnt relieve that feeling of pump and burn. try it.

Moto
    I'm giving that a try tomorrow. It's kinda funny. After the lift I don't want to stand so I sit but damn if sitting doesn't do anything to relieve the pumps.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

canesfan804 is offline Member
    Have you tried pre exhausting your legs? Walking lunges, jefferson squats, or even squating light weght with high reps(15-20)

Quote Originally Posted by canesfan804 View Post
    Have you tried pre exhausting your legs? Walking lunges, jefferson squats, or even squating light weght with high reps(15-20)
    I'm adding lunges tonight.

I hope between between adding lunges and laying down I can blast the legs tonight. Thanks guys!

canesfan804 is offline Member
    Love lunges just be sure to go low (I actually let my knee bump floor) and dont over extend(keep front knee behind toes) 3 sets of 14- 20 paces before your squats and you will feel the burn. Also you can preexhausting with stiff leg dead lifts around 3 sets @15-20 reps. Make sure you are not using back focus on the hamstrings when doing these.

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    Interested in knowing if those ideas worked...

bigpapabuff is offline Senior Member
    Man Im dealing with this now. Im taking test with low dose dbol and anavar . Low back pumps are debilitating at times.

Thread Information