kbronss is offline Junior Member

What are the benefits of drop sets??

I do and always done the basic pyramid workout....increase in weight while dropping reps. usually 4 to 5 excercises of 4 sets.
    Sometimes i just feel like changing it up and just stick to the same weight with high reps. A friend was doing these drop sets the other day but he said he just does them every once in a while, starts with the heaviest, basically what i do the other way around. What are they for and what can be expected from them?

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Drop sets allow you to apply maximum amount of intensity to your subjected muscle fibers without necessarily having to disrupt your form, thus subjecting those muscle fibers to the maximum amount of hypertrophy possible.

Drop sets also allow you to stretch the fascia that surrounds the subjected muscle fibers by increasing the blood volume of the muscle cells, hence opening more room for those fibers to grow.

It is indeed a good idea to start with an heavy set and drop from there; however, 2 proper warm-up sets and a feel set should be performed in order to both avoid possible injuries and establish mind-muscle connection before administering the heavy set.

This will shock your muscles and force them to grow, especially considering that you have never employed this sort of training before.

I did this in my 2nd year of lifting and results were beyond my wildest expectations. I left the gym with my muscles pumped like a baloon without the aid of steroids at the time.

Iron-56 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Drop sets allow you to apply maximum amount of intensity to your subjected muscle fibers without necessarily having to disrupt your form, thus subjecting those muscle fibers to the maximum amount of hypertrophy possible.

Drop sets also allow you to stretch the fascia that surrounds the subjected muscle fibers by increasing the blood volume of the muscle cells, hence opening more room for those fibers to grow.

It is indeed a good idea to start with an heavy set and drop from there; however, 2 proper warm-up sets and a feel set should be performed in order to both avoid possible injuries and establish mind-muscle connection before administering the heavy set.

This will shock your muscles and force them to grow, especially considering that you have never employed this sort of training before.

I did this in my 2nd year of lifting and results were beyond my wildest expectations. I left the gym with my muscles pumped like a baloon without the aid of steroids at the time.
    I two have been doing the basic pyramid workout. Aside from drop sets, are there any other routines I could try to "shock" my muscles?

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-56

I two have been doing the basic pyramid workout. Aside from drop sets, are there any other routines I could try to "shock" my muscles?
    I'm a big fan of HIT and TUT type workouts.
    High-Intensity training, there are many forms of this, I'd recommend reading up some of Mike Mentzers books and look at the Dorian Yates workouts.
    Time Under Tension is something ill throw into a workout every couple if months just for a change and a new burn. Again, there are probable multiple ways to do this. Personally, I drop the weight considerably, I aim for around a 5-6second negative and a 10 second positive. You'll probably need a spotter.

-Krugerr

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post

so is this something that i can do one week of and the other regular pyramids? or can i just do straight drop sets for weeks? also, what are the rep ranges on a 4 set excercise?

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbronss View Post
    so is this something that i can do one week of and the other regular pyramids? or can i just do straight drop sets for weeks? also, what are the rep ranges on a 4 set excercise?
    Do it straight for 4 weeks and change it up.

Rep ranges largely depends on the muscle group you are training.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-56 View Post
    Throwing in HEAVY negatives once in awhile is a good way to shock the muscles into growth. Negative, HIIT, supersets, and drop sets are all tools of the trade in terms of shocking the body into hypertrophy (growth).

so ill basically do the pyramids but in reverse....? start with the heavy weight i usually finish with, do 6reps and finish with the lightest weight(which i would normally start with) and do 12/15 reps?? sorry, i just dont want to get hurt or anything.

Thread Information