Bmwgirl11 is offline Female Member

Can I still reach goals with a Bowflex?

I have been on my journey since August. I have lost 20 pounds and see some improvements. My husband is stationed in another state, so I am either at work, or home with the kiddies. I do my daily cardio on a treadmill which I love. Running has always been my preferred cardio. My question is, can I still reach a great "lean gain" and loss of fat gain with a Bowflex? I know free weights are optimal as I am not a stranger to them, but I just absolutely cannot get to a gym. I don't want to invest so much time and determination into my workouts with a Bowflex if it isn't even worth continuing. (if I'll stop seeing gains because it's what I'm using)
    it has leg and squat attachments, lat attachments, ect.
    just wondering opinions

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    Congrats on the weight loss! Your goals are definitely attainable on a bowflex. With consistency, effort, and a proper diet a bowflex should work well for getting lean gains.

Quote Originally Posted by jasc View Post
    Congrats on the weight loss! Your goals are definitely attainable on a bowflex. With consistency, effort, and a proper diet a bowflex should work well for getting lean gains.
    sweet. I actually miss the variety of the weights in the gym, but I figured as long as I continue to increase my "resistance" I'll be okay. Thanks jasc I appreciate it. sometimes it's just nice to hear someone agree that you're not even crazier than you already know you are lol

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartschild View Post

sweet. I actually miss the variety of the weights in the gym, but I figured as long as I continue to increase my "resistance" I'll be okay. Thanks jasc I appreciate it. sometimes it's just nice to hear someone agree that you're not even crazier than you already know you are lol
    Hahaha you're welcome I'm a fan of free weights and variety as well, but ya gotta work with what ya got. Best of luck on reaching your goals.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Get your resistance anywhere you can. It is your dedication that will make a difference...the mechanism is not as important.

Great job so far - keep it up!

thanks again. you guys are great

dtob is offline Associate Member
    ive seen first hand ppl getting great results with bowflex
    a guy i work with lost close to 100 lbs with a bowflex and an eliptical and a good diet plan in his basement

Quote Originally Posted by dtob View Post
    ive seen first hand ppl getting great results with bowflex
    a guy i work with lost close to 100 lbs with a bowflex and an eliptical and a good diet plan in his basement
    yeah, when I first realized that getting to a gym was going to be impossible, I decided to find a way to bring a gym to me. I've been happy so far at least with the lean gains, (still frustrated with slow progress on fat loss) but otherwise just making sure the "machine" is gonna support what I'm trying to accomplish....
    determined enough to lift goats and children for an outcome lol

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Hey harts welcome to the board..

congrats on the results so far..
    Just a few ideas for resistance:
    Chest - Pushups and variations
    Legs - Bridges, squats, bulgarian squats etc

if u can get a pull up bar(relatively cheap) - Pull Ups, Inverted rows, also tricep dips, use for incline push ups etc

But to my main point - Get resistance bands/cables. can be very effective if used correctly and great for your situation

NOTE: In addition to your Bowflex that is.
    Last edited by -KJ-; 01-24-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have made great gains and improved muscle resistance while conducting multiple exercises with the cable crossover machine ever since I started bodybuilding, which has a similar mechanism to that of Bowflex, so I personally don't see why it wouldn't work for you or for anyone else for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by -KJ- View Post
    Hey harts welcome to the board..

congrats on the results so far..
    Just a few ideas for resistance:
    Chest - Pushups and variations
    Legs - Bridges, squats, bulgarian squats etc

if u can get a pull up bar(relatively cheap) - Pull Ups, Inverted rows, also tricep dips, use for incline push ups etc

But to my main point - Get resistance bands/cables. can be very effective if used correctly and great for your situation

NOTE: In addition to your Bowflex that is.
    yep, bought a pullup bar, and resistance bands. have done squats with my 8yr old daughter on my back "piggyback". I actually bought the bands for an out of town trip i was taking so I would have those at least as to not miss a day

thank you again. the support, encouragement, and reinforcement of info is priceless. the gym world needs more like you guys.

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    yep, bought a pullup bar, and resistance bands. have done squats with my 8yr old daughter on my back "piggyback". I actually bought the bands for an out of town trip i was taking so I would have those at least as to not miss a day
    Well I feel setting up a structured plan be it full body/ split workouts and stict to it.. instead of weight increases, increase the reps, time under tension, supersets all these can make your workout harder thus your progress will not stall.

dj erk15 is offline Junior Member
    Bowflex is great for your goal but a good diet is key to this goal also. Hit up the nutrition forums and read up on how you should be eating.

metallic1 is offline New Member
    new here guys., been reading a lot, seems like a great site to learn. i have a bowflex in my home gym., it fits in perfectly with the rest of my equipment,
    works like a charm. certian cable routines are indespensible.

Iron-56 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartschild
    I have been on my journey since August. I have lost 20 pounds and see some improvements. My husband is stationed in another state, so I am either at work, or home with the kiddies. I do my daily cardio on a treadmill which I love. Running has always been my preferred cardio. My question is, can I still reach a great "lean gain" and loss of fat gain with a Bowflex? I know free weights are optimal as I am not a stranger to them, but I just absolutely cannot get to a gym. I don't want to invest so much time and determination into my workouts with a Bowflex if it isn't even worth continuing. (if I'll stop seeing gains because it's what I'm using)
    just wondering opinions
    Your goals can certainly be reached with a bowflex. No need for a gym membership. Might want to one day consider when you obtain your goals and set new ones . Good luck!

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Bowflex is a great home system. Congrats on the gains as long as your diet is good the gains will continue, what branch does your husband serve under?
    Last edited by Armykid93; 01-26-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93
    Bowflex is a great home system. Congrats on the gains as long as your diet is good the gains will continue, what branch does your husband serve under?
    He's in the good ol army. Stationed in ft. Drum at the moment. His mos is 98 bravo. But only has about 4.5 yrs left before retiring, then he will ce back to benning. Yes, I agree the bowflex had been a great way for me to juggle work and kids but still get to get back in shape

That's awesome. Tell him congrats on being close to retirement haha, I've got a ways to go yet.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Ive always wondered this to , you see the guys on the commercials that are jacked to shit, but I always said they obviously train in a normal gym also and its just for marketing.
    Still always wondered if you can make solid gains on just a bowflex though

That's awesome. Tell him congrats on being close to retirement haha, I've got a ways to go yet.
    Lol thanks. Well that's only if he doesn't make promotion this year, then naturally he has to deal with a bit longer. How long have you been in?

Quote Originally Posted by cj111
    Ive always wondered this to , you see the guys on the commercials that are jacked to shit, but I always said they obviously train in a normal gym also and its just for marketing.
    Still always wondered if you can make solid gains on just a bowflex though
    Yes you can make gains. I was mostly concerned with eventually hitting a wall with it. But then again men's and women's bodies are different and I honest can't say when it comes to bulking up. But I'm definitely making lots of lean gain progress

Nice well congrats. That your bike in your pic? I just sold my gsxr750 last summer, gun metal grey/red...Miss her already
    What ya sittin on, looks like a Yamaha?

Nice well congrats. That your bike in your pic? I just sold my gsxr750 last summer, gun metal grey/red...Miss her already
    What ya sittin on, looks like a Yamaha?
    Negative sir. That beautiful beast is a 2010 BMW s1000rr

Didn't think BMW made them to look like crotch rockets, nice looking bike.

Didn't think BMW made them to look like crotch rockets, nice looking bike.
    Thank you. Yes in 2010 they began a race line

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    I believe you will enjoy the results from your BF.I worked my way back from rotorcuff surgery with one.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    just wondering opinions
    Absolutely! Nothing wrong with a Bowflex. Anytime of resistance training will do the job. And if that's all you have, then work it hard and challenge yourself.

Diet is key as you know. Speaking of which, congrats on the 20 pound deficit! Good job and welcome to the Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    Absolutely! Nothing wrong with a Bowflex. Anytime of resistance training will do the job. And if that's all you have, then work it hard and challenge yourself.

Diet is key as you know. Speaking of which, congrats on the 20 pound deficit! Good job and welcome to the Forums.
    thanks a lot MickeyKnox.

sorry a 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bmwgirl11 View Post

Lol thanks. Well that's only if he doesn't make promotion this year, then naturally he has to deal with a bit longer. How long have you been in?
    I'll have been in a year next month

I'll have been in a year next month
    Well stick with it.... It pays off when you make it a career

Thread Information