Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Remington is offline Alligator

EXCLUDING deadlifts-bent over rows--Tbar-whats a good back move for a recovering back

A few weeks ago I injured my lower back doing T-bars.
    Debilitating-pain-from-lower-back-down-to-FRONT-and-INSIDE-leg.

So rather than re-injure myself, I need to work on my CORE.
    Until that comes up to speed I don't wanna do ANY bent over moves for my back.
    The Golds gym I go to has Hammer equipment so I'll be using those.
    I feel like I'm wasting my time not lifting heavy barbells.
    I know to take it slow---which is what i'm doing---but still....
    Suggestions?

dtob is offline Associate Member
    did you get X-ray ,cat scan ,or mri done to diagnose the exact problem ? you def. should
    in the mean time i think your on the right track with with supported back machines and if movements hurt it at all discontinue immediately
    also i would stay away from squats until you get this sorted out

Remington is offline Alligator
    Quote Originally Posted by dtob View Post
    did you get X-ray ,cat scan ,or mri done to diagnose the exact problem
    Did get an Xray that showed nothing out of order. No insurance means no MRI.

Supernatural---I think I'll try that bridge move.
    Thanks.

supernatural28 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    A few weeks ago I injured my lower back doing T-bars.
    Debilitating-pain-from-lower-back-down-to-FRONT-and-INSIDE-leg.

So rather than re-injure myself, I need to work on my CORE.
    Until that comes up to speed I don't wanna do ANY bent over moves for my back.
    The Golds gym I go to has Hammer equipment so I'll be using those.
    I feel like I'm wasting my time not lifting heavy barbells.
    I know to take it slow---which is what i'm doing---but still....
    Suggestions?

Top 5 Exercises To Do After a Back Injury

After a back injury, muscles are often weak and shortened because they have not been utilized over a period of time. Weak back muscles will cause pain as they are the primary support for your spine. To decrease back pain, you will need to strengthen and stretch your back muscles so they are able to support your body efficiently. Always consult a doctor or physical therapist before starting any exercise routine, particularly after an injury. Here are the top five back exercises to do after an injury.

The Bridge

This exercise strengthens the back as well as the gluteus muscles and the abdominals. With your feet flat on the floor and your knees at a 90 degree angle, lay flat on your back. Raise your bottom off the ground and squeeze your buttocks for a count of five second. Do this up to 15 times.
    The Wall Squat

This exercise is also great for quads and hips. Put your feet shoulder width apart and about 18 inches from a wall then place your back against the wall. Lower your body until your knees are at a 90 degree angle and hold for as long as you can. If this is too difficult, decrease the angle of your knees. Repeat up to 10 times.

Basic Crunches

This exercise is typically thought of as an abdominal exercise but is also great for back muscles. Lay flat on the floor with your feet flat. With your arms supporting your neck (but not lifting your head), raise your upper body towards your knees until you feel your stomach tighten. Hold for a count of five and slowly lower your body back to the floor. Repeat several times.

The Cat

This stretching exercise is calming and will stretch your core muscles including your back. Get on all fours with your arms directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips. As you inhale, raise your head to look above you while dropping your stomach to the floor. As you exhale, tuck your chin into your chest and bring your stomach up towards your spine rounding out your back. Repeat five times.
    Superwoman/Superman Raises

Start in the same starting position as The Cat. Raise your right arm out in front of you and your left leg out behind you. Form a straight line and aim to keep your hips perpendicular to the floor. Hold for up to 30 seconds. Repeat 5 times.

Avoid compound exercises until you heal

Compound exercises are exercises that utilize a wide range of muscles such as running, dead lifting, sports, push-ups, pull-ups, etc. Basically, exercises that use a wide range of muscles almost always utilize your core.

Not only do you want to avoid using your back but also your abs until the damage is healed.

The only exception to this rule would be low impact exercises like swimming.

Your best bet is to either limit yourself to a very small subset of isolation exercises that strictly avoid using your back, quit exercising and let it heal, or hop in a pool.

The pool is probably your best bet as it will allow you to stretch and use the muscles as they heal without causing any additional stress/injury.

I hope this helps..

Thread Information