yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Cant work tri's.. will they still grow?

Back in august I was doing over head tricep extensions, went heavy and felt something pop in my elbow. I couldnt train chest or do tri's for a couple weeks because it was a little sore and would pop. Well this never got better. Under weight during chest presses and tricep exercises my elbow will pop and I feel some discomfort. I went to a doctor and he perscribed anti-inflamitories and sent me to PT. Its still not better. They said it might be my ulnar nerve popped out and if thats the case theres really nothing they can do. I can push through my chest work out but if I do anything other than tricep push downs my elbow pops and hurts pretty bad. And no matter how hard I try I can not get my triceps sore with any exercise other than over head extensions. Anyone have this issue and found a way to work around this injury?

crazy mike is offline Banned for repping Dangerous Substances
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    Back in august I was doing over head tricep extensions, went heavy and felt something pop in my elbow. I couldnt train chest or do tri's for a couple weeks because it was a little sore and would pop. Well this never got better. Under weight during chest presses and tricep exercises my elbow will pop and I feel some discomfort. I went to a doctor and he perscribed anti-inflamitories and sent me to PT. Its still not better. They said it might be my ulnar nerve popped out and if thats the case theres really nothing they can do. I can push through my chest work out but if I do anything other than tricep push downs my elbow pops and hurts pretty bad. And no matter how hard I try I can not get my triceps sore with any exercise other than over head extensions. Anyone have this issue and found a way to work around this injury?
    Have you tried different grips, wide narrow, hands turned in and out different angles at the wrists. What about reverse grip pull downs that will hit the tris in different areas. So many different ways to have the same tricep work. But your weight will be different, like on the reverse grip. I So give it different angles and dangles so to speak and different width of your grip. The overheads extensions are stretching your tri's as far as they can stretch an elongating the exercise.Good luck ...crazy mike

Hey what about you narrow grip bench. Narrow to the side of your chest. ...crazy

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just because you cant get them sore doesn't mean they aren't working. Tricep press downs are one of the best exercises IMO, do them with a rope...and concentrate on the contraction, you don't need a massive amount of weight

I can actually do close grip benching... I do get some discomfort but its bareable.... I just dont feel like im doing anything when I dont get much of a pump and they are not sore the next day.

I can actually do close grip benching... I do get some discomfort but its bareable.... I just dont feel like im doing anything when I dont get much of a pump and they are not sore the next day.
    To get a pump, do your routine, light , heavy as many sets and reps as you do. Last set maga reps 25 plus. Or do a giant set from max to ?? doing more reps each drop keeping reps in the 8-10 min. You will get a pump at end for sure.. This is done after your heavy mass building sets. ...crazy mike

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    I got in a automobile accident in the 90.s that popped my ulnar nerve out of its groove. It hurts and its an uncomfortable feeling when you can feel that big nerve sliding and popping over the top of the inside elbow joint. It used to make me want to vomit. You get used to it. I don't even notice it anymore.

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    Forgot to answer your question lol. Triceps get alot of ancillary work from other movements but if youre doing everything you can to not use that elbow, they won't grow. IGNORE the pain. Eventually you don't notice it anymore.

Emerald is offline Associate Member
    dealing with so many shity nagging little injuries right now. My old body is strong but vulnerable to tendonitis and minor muscle tears. I feel for you yeahbuddy, its sucjs to have the motivation and desire but limitations imposed by injury. Mu suggestion is use your common sense, train the exercises you can bear and don't get too frustrated. Ive got so pissed Ive stormed out of the gym little a little kid. Stick with it and dont give up

Yeah its really depressing knowing its going to be like this for life and im only 23.... and I didnt hurt it doing something stupid... I hurt it trying to better myself. And on top of this I have a messed up shoulder that decides to flare up every now and then.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just train pull downs. There very effective when done right with no momentum

Yeah its really depressing knowing its going to be like this for life and im only 23.... and I didnt hurt it doing something stupid... I hurt it trying to better myself. And on top of this I have a messed up shoulder that decides to flare up every now and then.
    My friend, don't worry, be happy and just wait until you have osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and bursitis your hip. Then ya just find away to work around it. now I have to take off for something. but keep on my friend. ...crazy mike

Thanks guys ill do my best.

Thread Information