Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tdoe11

Thread: Lifting belt.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dickster is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries

Lifting belt.

What's the general feeling on lifting belts, I have trained for 23 years and only used one in my early training days, I do lots of squats, dead lifts, cleans, presses and rows, I have never suffered an injury that related to not wearing a belt am I lucky or are they overated.

Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I had to get one myself this week. I've lost ~30 pounds and no longer have that abdominal fat to push against. I was doing straight arm lat pushdowns on an overhead pulley with 220 pounds and damn near either had a hernia or groin pull. lol. Scared the crap out of me. And yes, my core needs work. lol. Until then I'll use the belt.

dickster is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for reply, that is what I have always believed, if you wear a belt all the time it can be counter productive as core will always lag behind in big lifts, that
    Said personal choice, same as gloves, I never wear em.

crazy mike is offline Banned for repping Dangerous Substances
    Quote Originally Posted by dickster View Post
    Thanks for reply, that is what I have always believed, if you wear a belt all the time it can be counter productive as core will always lag behind in big lifts, that
    Said personal choice, same as gloves, I never wear em.
    I can appreciate what you just said to OP. Just for me, at this come back level I'm at I need one. Without I might not be back. Good point of yours though. If I was not an ecto or injured or had continued my lifting career al the 25 yrs. I prob would not have to wear it all the time. So for OP he can take these too strategies and put his own in effect. good luck ...crazy mike

Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy mike View Post
    I can appreciate what you just said to OP. Just for me, at this come back level I'm at I need one. Without I might not be back. Good point of yours though. If I was not an ecto or injured or had continued my lifting career al the 25 yrs. I prob would not have to wear it all the time. So for OP he can take these too strategies and put his own in effect. good luck ...crazy mike
    Absolutely. When I said my core was weak it's because I have not been training it. I think he slightly misunderstood what I meant. I will definately be using the belt for some time to come and probably any time I am lifting heavy. Especially squats. I am 51 and do not want any hernias at this age! I know not everyone needs one but I do. At least for the foreseeable future.

BTW I have one of those belts like you described and so far I like it much better than the old leather belt buckle style I used to use. Never really felt comfortable in one on those...

crazy mike is offline Banned for repping Dangerous Substances
    Hey man, crazy old mike here. Listen I just got over my umbilical hernia operation 10 -11 weeks ago. I used a belt for all my years, old fashion type with narrow side and wide back.
    So while I am coming back I got real concerned and got this new one. Same width all the way around. It tightens with a long strap with Velcro. It's great for the front @ the hernia @ the belly button.
    As I train I am conscious of my stress there. Light sets on many things , no stress no pushing. Heavy sets give a lot of pus even on flat bench and other exercises you wouldn't think. WE know if we are 100% strict we will not use the rest of our body. But BS when it comes to max loads and the exercises you talk.
    I say get a wide belt, your 50 yrs. ?? don't get the old fashion narrow with the buckle up front. You will need or it will definitely help you at that time of need. Old man mike here just has to wear it all the time. So you heard what I think, good luck, be safe and stay cool man. ...crazy mike

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    I only use belt when going very heavy. Lately I have been reading studies on weight lifting belts and they show no difference between using and not using a belt. The Weight Belt Controversy

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    I use a belt when doing weighted dips and pull ups, for obvious reason. I don't use one anymore for lifts except when going very heavy.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    I use a belt when doing weighted dips and pull ups, for obvious reason. I don't use one anymore for lifts except when going very heavy.
    I use a belt for those to exercises also. I think it’s ridiculous when someone can’t even do 30 pull-ups or dips without a weighted belt yet uses one. They perform several quarter reps and walk around like they have accomplished something special. Every gym that I have ever been to there are always those guys that wear a weight belt whenever they touch any weights. There is one guy that actually tightens his weight belt when he is doing curls. WTF

Quote Originally Posted by tigerspawn View Post
    I use a belt for those to exercises also. I think it’s ridiculous when someone can’t even do 30 pull-ups or dips without a weighted belt yet uses one. They perform several quarter reps and walk around like they have accomplished something special. Every gym that I have ever been to there are always those guys that wear a weight belt whenever they touch any weights. There is one guy that actually tightens his weight belt when he is doing curls. WTF
    lol,maybe.his egos.coming.out.his belly haha

italianstallion85 is offline Junior Member
    I personally use a belt on barbell squats, and deadlifts. Those are the heaviest exercises I use them for. Just to experiment, I did perform heavy lifts without one for 3 weeks. My back began feeling weak and was more sore, especially the lower area. Took a week off, back felt great. Used the belt, no more problems. Just depends on our bodies. We all are different! What works for you may not for me and vice versa!

tdoe11 is offline Senior Member
    Due to my job my back is super jacked up. I always have back pain, I more or less always wear a belt while lifting. Arms, back, shoulders. Doesn't matter. It really helps and eventually makes my back feel normal. When i stop wearing it a couple months later the pain is back.
    italianstallion85 likes this.

italianstallion85 is offline Junior Member
    My back is jacked as well. However.....ever since I started dead lifting, I experience hardly no more lower back pains. I used to get really bad spasms at least twice a month the last 4 years. I couldn't get out of bed, get dressed or bend for 3-5 days! Now, nothing thanks to the deadlift

skaz915 is offline Member
    IMO I feel they are WAY WAY overrated. For power lifters sure buta lot of people just wear them to "play the part" from what I see at the gym. Sure .they help you lift a few more pounds but if an injury should occur while wearing one, I feel it'll be a lot worse myself, ill never wear one

un4gettable is offline New Member
    I'll use mine just for squats and deadlifts. Honestly i've done both without any back probs and if i forget to bring it, it isn't that big a deal. But I do feel like its a constant reminder to keep my back positioned correctly through each rep.

raiugxlm is offline New Member
    could be you simply arent pulling enough, op

Edit: read that as you being 23, not training for 23 years. disregard.

Thread Information